Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - this actually a new holox or a con? :O
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

this actually a new holox or a con? :O
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlindriver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info screenclene. The unit was sold as a 54 Channel (pointless I know) BT541 and it comes up on the Bluetooth Manager as BT-541 SPP Slave.

How can I check the firmware on my unit and how do I find and install the update? Do I need to be a sponsor of pocketgpsworld - I intend to be to get the scamera database but need to have a working and accurate satnav to make that worthwhile? Sorry about the questions but the whole issue of firmare updates is totally new to me.
screenclene
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the BT441 firmware is compatible with BT541.

I can suggest that you contact "Skytraq.com.tw", as they produce the chipset on BT441 and may be kindly enough to help you. Also look on the other forum link I posted, there are instructions for flashing BT441 there.

As for 54 channels, yes thats more than double the number of GPS satellites in the sky and you can only see 10 or 12 maximum at a time. But a GPS device keeps track in its memory of the satellites it has seen recently, so that the next time it sees them it can calculate a fix quickly. So the ideal minimum no of satelites to track is 24 (the number of GPS satelites in the sky).
In addition (and this is a guess), I think to cope with signals getting bounced of buildings, a GPS device can assign multiple "channels" to a single satelite.
So 54 channels will probably never all get used, but its not overkill to have them available.
mookieman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all

ive got one of the bolox ahhhhhh Rolling Eyes i mean holox bt 541 receivers coming soon from ebay for £23.97 hopfully it will work ok with my nokia n73.

could anyone tell me if i can use a normal usb to mini-usb cable(like the one to transfer pictures off my camera)to charge the unit on the P.C and just get a usb car cigar lighter adaptor like this one to charge it in my car or do i need a proper lead?????

i only ask as im going to france in 1 weeks time camping and it would be nice to charge it in the car.

thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it charges via the USB connector, then it MUST be able to be charged safely from any standard USB socket (in order to comply with the USB spec.)
The only proviso is that it might charge SLOWER than by using the dedicated charger.
mookieman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Andy_P2002

will give it a try and give a review on the holox once it arrives. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tropdevin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy in the UK seems to have sold lots of HOLOX BT-541 units recently. Anyone got a fell for what the target price should be - are his prices reasonable?

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£25 for a BT GPS including P&P is cheap, it also has a 2 year warranty, but some of the claims in the advert are nothing short of a joke. The explanation of A-GPS is the best I have read in a long time - it is a mile off reality.
For 10 more I would consider the Qstarz-BTQ818 but if low cost is all you are interested in ..... - Mike
merlindriver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest development in the slow Holox GPS saga is the manufacturer says there was a problem with the previous firmware. He has provided an update but no info on how to install it - any help gratefully accepted!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: