Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OS Maps on Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OS Maps on Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: OS Maps on Tom Tom Reply with quote

I'm new to this Sat Nav malarkey but have just bought a Tom Tom ONE UK which I think is excellent and I've loaded it with speed camera warnings etc. Great so far :D

What I'd really like, however, is a way of loading OS map detail. I understand the size issue would only make this possible for a limited amount of the UK at a time. What I'm not sure of is is it possible to display the OS map on the Tom Tom and still have routing work?

Doing an alternative map to the existing Tom Tom map would be a mamouth task but perhaps the existing one could be kept and an OS map overlaid. I was wondering if it could be overlaid as a huge POI bitmap locked to a co-ordinate. Problem is it would not rotate with the Tom Tom map but at least you could turn it on and off. I tried this but found the icon size is limited

It would be nicer if it could be a background image somehow. I notice there is a "raster" folder containing *.jpg and *.sat files. The jpg files are an aerial view seen as a background image when zoomed out on the map. The sat files may perhaps be co-ordinate and elevation information (I'm guessing). Could something be overlaid by putting OS jpg files here with some manipulated co-ordinate data? Wink

Any ideas?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can certainly use OS images in that "Raster" folder but they will only show when you zoom out A LOT.

The TomTom PND platform is based on Linux - feel free to develop your own OS mapping application for it. As far as I know nobody has done it yet. Some would call that obvious, others would call it a market opportunity.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
JohnTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Some more experimentation may be in order Wink .

Oops I'm guilty of posting this elsewhere - too many likely forums and I can't delete posts Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame they locked the post in the relevant forum rather than here, which is where TomTom questions are meant to be!
(Same with the TomTom "new maps" debate - wouldn't that would be better off in the TomTom forum rather than "News"?)

How a bit of creative modding, mods? Smile
JohnTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's what confused me - there are quite a few forums and after posting the first one I though this isn't the best place for it - but I couldn't delete the first one... or the second... ahem.... guilty... erm... I'll get me coat Embarassed
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

The TomTom PND platform is based on Linux - feel free to develop your own OS mapping application for it. As far as I know nobody has done it yet. Some would call that obvious, others would call it a market opportunity.

Certainly an opportunity - but the cost of doing it (legally) puts it outside the scope of individuals. The Ordnance Survey (GB) charge very large amounts of money for access to electronic mapping information.
JohnTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update this thread I've discovered that TomTom have implemented the necessary software onto the latest version to allow you to add your own map overlays. This is better than off road navigator but achieved in a similar way Smile .

Explained here: http://create.tomtom.com/manuals/create-your-own-content/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: