Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to choose - why your speed camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to choose - why your speed camera database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endeavour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: How to choose - why your speed camera database? Reply with quote

Hi, please take this question in the "plain" way it's intended.

Can you give me some reasons why I should sign up for your speed camera service? There are quite a few other similar services that are much cheaper (eg: http://www.scdb.info/en/ at £7) and I don't really understand how I make a decision about which one to use. I have Tomtom Navigator 6 on my PocketPC.

I've come here because some other sites (like that scdb one) are not UK based, but other than that I can't see how I pick one or the other.

Thanks!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to choose - why your speed camera database? Reply with quote

Endeavour wrote:
Can you give me some reasons why I should sign up for your speed camera service?
Thanks!

Yes, I can. It's the best! Very Happy
Endeavour.

Welcome to PGPSW.
You will probably find that most people on this site are fairly heavily biassed towards our database. It is based in UK has hundreds of people submitting cameras and a team of unpaid verifiers going around checking out the camera positions. You will get several people telling you that the TT database is not as up to date as ours, and I don't think that a database supplier not based in uk would be better than one based in UK.
That's what I think anyway. But as I said at the start, I'm biassed. Find and report a new cam and you will get a free lifetime subscrription (once you have subscribed for the first time) so you won't have to pay again.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SCDB Site list some 5000 cameras for the UK. PGPSW has over 11000.

POIWarner is an add-on. Something else for the CPU to handle. Most sat-navs are capable of handling POI warnings within their own software. The TT certainly can.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can tell how accurate the speed camera data base is when looking round your local area .
Where I live every speed camera is spot on even the mobile cameras are exactly where they should be and with local knowledge you know where to look out for them .
If I was a stranger coming into the area I would be very confident that all the cameras were noted and the visitor would not get any nasty surprises

One last point which was not mentioned unless somebody beats me to it
( I type slowly ) if you report a camera or a correction to a camera you will qualify for lifetime membership

Edit
I did not see you had posted that above sorry
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the higher number of people reporting cameras and the stringent verification process which makes this database better than any other.

Besides which, if you successfully report a camera first and qualify, you could get free lifetime subscription here, so the cost would become insignificant
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them all a try. When you eventually get round to ours in ascending order of cost, you'll find the accuracy has progressed "whatserMetrically" (what's the word? - meaning it's gone up more than the ratio of beans to sugar or something).

For example, I have some of TomTom's cameras on one of my GO720 devices, running alongside other devices with our cameras on them. Yesterday I went to Letchworth and back (approx 325 miles) and TWO of TT's cameras were accurately placed, but all the others (more than a dozen) were WRONG - I'm talking cameras which were there a year ago but are no longer operating - roadworks cameras on A1(M) and M4. (Mind you, in order of ascending cost, TT's cameras won't figure in your testing before ours).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
I think you can tell how accurate the speed camera data base is when looking round your local area .
Where I live every speed camera is spot on even the mobile cameras are exactly where they should be and with local knowledge you know where to look out for them .
If I was a stranger coming into the area I would be very confident that all the cameras were noted and the visitor would not get any nasty surprises

One last point which was not mentioned unless somebody beats me to it
( I type slowly ) if you report a camera or a correction to a camera you will qualify for lifetime membership
Edit
I did not see you had posted that above sorry

Yes that should have been

If you successfully report a new camera first and qualify, you could get free lifetime subscription
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wont regret the subs its regularly updated used by lots of people this

site has over 250,000 members

the support and instruction on using the database are excellent and the forum members are a friendly bunch.

10/10 for the PGPS team & verifiers

Very Happy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to choose - why your speed camera database? Reply with quote

Endeavour wrote:
Can you give me some reasons why I should sign up for your speed camera service?

As mentioned in previous posts, there is a stringent verification process which takes place between camera locations being submitted and the time when they're added to the PGPSW database.

If we haven't already convinced you where your money would be best spent, you might be interested in reading an article by one of the verifiers, which explains the process in more detail:

A Day in The Life of a PocketGPSWorld.com Verifier

You may well have also already seen that another key factor in making the PGPSW database as good as it is, is that members cover the whole spectrum of GPS devices and there are over 250,000 members all eagerly submitting camera locations.

Although some members may submit camera locations with a free lifetime subscription being the main incentive, statistics show that a high proportion of new camera submissions are made by people who are already lifetime members. Hence, there is no shortage of effort being pooled into keeping this database as up to date and accurate as possible.

The frequency of database update releases also plays a big part in helping users keep their devices up to date. The published frequency for database updates is monthly, but this is often twice a month - and that would take a lot of beating.
Endeavour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. In turn:

Quote:
Find and report a new cam and you will get a free lifetime subscrription (once you have subscribed for the first time) so you won't have to pay again.

Interesting, but I have to say I'm not overly bothered about this as a "feature". It's a nice incentive by the owners though.

Quote:
The SCDB Site list some 5000 cameras for the UK. PGPSW has over 11000.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I'm after.

Quote:
Give them all a try. When you eventually get round to ours in ascending order of cost,

Ah, I would do this to see which suits me best, but unfortunately none of the databases I've found offer a free trial. I don't really want to pay for multiple subs just to evaluate. I spotted that you used to offer a rolling subscription here (which would have been perfect) but you've discontinued it due to piracy. Not sure I understand that, it's a perfect "sampler" and surely anyone who does the full year sub can still pirate the database, but that's another question.

Quote:
If we haven't already convinced you where your money would be best spent, you might be interested in reading an article by one of the verifiers, which explains the process in more detail:

Ok, wow. I'm very impressed, especially if that explanation is representative of the effort all the core submitters put in.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I'll go with your database. Cheers!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endeavour wrote:
I think I'll go with your database.

Wise choice. Please tell us that we're right after you've tried and tested it

Endeavour wrote:
I spotted that you used to offer a rolling subscription here (which would have been perfect) but you've discontinued it due to piracy. Not sure I understand that, it's a perfect "sampler" and surely anyone who does the full year sub can still pirate the database, but that's another question.

Keeping it brief, the move against piracy HAS been proven to work mainly because with the monthly subscription, a ban would mean losing only £2, whereas with a yearly subscription, anybody being banned would lose £19 - so it proves much more costly.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endeavour wrote:
unfortunately none of the databases I've found offer a free trial. I don't really want to pay for multiple subs just to evaluate.
I have to agree with you there. When the Annual Only subscription was introduced, there was some discussion along those lines, but it never progressed beyond a suggestion that perhaps we might offer a free extract, for example of only the 30mph Gatso database, to prove its accuracy and completeness. Not much consolation to you, but maybe we'll resurrect the idea? Trouble is, we cover so many different SatNav devices now that doing that extract would probably be some mighty effort for our already hard-pressed Database Administrator.

However, you have a pretty comprehensive recommendation from all of us (very biased Laughing ) respondents.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with regards to accuracy you can view al the cameras once you zoom in close enough on the submission map - click on 'speed cameras' at the top and scroll down.

obviously this doesn't show you how your device handles the data but at least you can check local cameras for accuracy before you pay!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
you can view al the cameras ........... before you pay!

Strewth, is that true? You mean all it takes to get the database for free is to sit down and note all the 11,000+ UK locations and you've got the pgpsw database for nothing? Where's the refunds desk?

Endeavour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I've now signed up but already run into a subscription problem!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=395470#395470

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: