Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 Voltage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 Voltage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhite139
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310 Voltage Reply with quote

Does anybody know the input voltage for the nuvi 310 ie. is the voltage reduced to 5 volt dc by the cigarette plug adapter (as its a USB connector) and which pins carry power and earth on the unit itself. I am attempting to make a power cable to run the unit directly off the vehicles power not using the adapter, as mini usb plugs are available and as I want to mount my unit beside my rear view mirror the standard power cable is much too short to route around the windscreen. I have bought an extension for the cigar lighter but this creates other problems during routing the cable and would prefer a permanent cable running off perhaps the interior light supply wire. Hope this makes some sense
wwhite139
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 310 Voltage Reply with quote

Subsequent to my previous post I have discovered the "pin outs" on the mini usb plugs/sockets from here: http://www.usbmadesimple.co.uk/ums_2.htm
But still need confirmation of voltage required by the Nuvi 310 unit...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 5V as per all mini USB socketed devices, current drawn will be anything upto 2A, but why not use the supplied charger lead?
just get a ciggy socket extension lead and cut the plug off that, wire it to a 12V source and insert the Garmin plug/ regulator into the socket, tape it up and bury it all behind the dash, this way you know the power supplied to the device will be correct - Mike
wwhite139
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer Mike, appreciate the advice on using original lead but its the same old story - if only it was a couple of inches longer... The problem is either I put the extension socket I have on top of the dash where it is a real pain, or blow caution to the wind as I have curtain airbags and don't want to try putting that lump behind the windscreen pillar trim ( I am not even sure that bulk will fit in there ) just in case, and also just to be a pain, I want to be able to use the lead in other cars ( Holiday hire cars etc...). This way for a small amount of outlay I can fit a lead into both the family cars as long as I can find a cheap reliable way of providing a 5 volt supply allowing me to make the lead as long as I want... and retain the original lead for use at other times. Now just to find someone who knows all about those voltage regulator IC's
( http://www.iguanalabs.com/7805kit.htm )
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 310 Voltage Reply with quote

wwhite139 wrote:
Subsequent to my previous post I have discovered the "pin outs" on the mini usb plugs/sockets from here: http://www.usbmadesimple.co.uk/ums_2.htm
But still need confirmation of voltage required by the Nuvi 310 unit...

You may find that the GARMIN lead includes a resistor from the power supply to the 'unconnected' pin 4 on the mini plug. I believe it uses this to determine when to switch into Mass Storage Mode. On my 660 the GARMIN lead switches into MSM but I have a couple of cheapo type A to mini USB that don't do the switch to MSM - they just enable the 660 to be powered/charged yet still work. I also have other 'standard' cables that do cause it to switch - so something else may be happening here.

You may want to use a car adapter to USB connector - that is the all-in-one type plug that has a type A socket on the top. You can then use a length of Type A to mini that fits your needs.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - closed message before I had completed it...

The sort of plug I am talking about is like this... car adapter shown here. They aren't expensive and unless you have experence in building switching regulators then it's a lot simpler. I guess these devices don't provide much more than 0.5A - but this is enough to charge a totally flat nuvi - it just takes bit longer! It also provides a very portable 'tailored' solution. I have a couple of similar devices, they came 'free' with other gadgets, and find them very useful for all sorts of things (powering my iPod, charging my phones...).
wwhite139
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re Nuvi 310 voltage Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. Decided to take your advice Phil, more to safeguard the health of the Garmin unit, and managed to find a twin output usb adapter with 2A output and a 2m USB a to mini USB b cable which should be adequate for my purpose ( courtesy of Ebay ). I will still have to use my cigar extension but that can all now be hidden under the dashboard plus using the mini USB lead will make threading it under the dash that much easier. Now just to wait on the postie and a day off before I can report back on my progress.....
wwhite139
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all arrived safely via postie and glad to report that unit functions properly on usb adapter and usb cable. Still had to use my cigarette adapter lead, its much longer around the windscreen than you would think !!! but this allows the lead to be routed under the dash rather than cables running everywhere. Anyway this has already allowed me to utilise the original lead from Garmin with the unit in the wifes car (run out in her new car for her birthday) and as the cigarette lead adapter had 2 usb power outlets also allows charging of any usb device (ipod etc.) whilst using the sat nav . On a side note I also found that the original Nokia extension mic for phone kits for cars will fit the windscreen mount for this unit if the two plastic lugs are cut off the plug and gives superior voice quality when using this unit as your main handsfree unit for mobiles. (the two lugs are at the end of the metal jack plug and stop it from being inserted fully if used with anything other than a nokia car kit). Can also report excellent compatability with Sony Ericsson W880i with the Nuvi 310d on its latest software updates...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: