Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 760T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 760T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2jag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: nuvi 760T Reply with quote

i live in camberley in surrey and wondered if anyone knows where i can get a garmin 760T locally.checked the garmin website but all their "retailers" have nil stock.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: nuvi 760T Reply with quote

mark2jag wrote:
i live in camberley in surrey and wondered if anyone knows where i can get a garmin 760T locally.checked the garmin website but all their "retailers" have nil stock.

I just bought one from these people: http://www.pentagongps.co.uk.

Ordered at 14:00 - arrived 07:50, following morning! (£220)
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from http://www.audio66.com/products.asp?main=4&man=28&userid=903598556395138443402778 now dropped to £218 (originaly bought it for £230 about a month ago)

The usual next day delivery with city link courier
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine from eBay - £167.
geesss
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice, not expensive
mark2jag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Thank you all for the replies, but..................... Reply with quote

Err, as above really. Eventually got my nuvi 760T from Pentagon Gps, in person, as I was sort of in the area anyway (even though as you have no doubt read i live in Surrey. So far im quite impressed with it, just wish i could have it in the car without all those damn wires trailing everywhere. My car looks like a wiring experiment on wheels gone wrong. (Its a Focus if anyone has any tidier ideas then please feel free to let me know,but still dont want to leave the mount on display as there are more than a few dodgy characters who wouldnt think twice about breaking into it, on the offchance that I might be STUPID enough to leave it in the glove box.

Am i going off topic????. I think I am so I'm gonna shut up now except to say a big thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to reply Very Happy Very Happy
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you all for the replies, but..................... Reply with quote

mark2jag wrote:
just wish i could have it in the car without all those damn wires trailing everywhere. My car looks like a wiring experiment on wheels gone wrong.

This is how I've mounted it in a Seat Leon (using the dashboard disc).
Pic 1 and Pic 2

The aerial for the Traffic Receiver goes up the "A" post (The 2nd sucker is 1/2 way up the windscreen, with the 'bobble' on the end of the wire, tucked into the trim). I assumed this needed to have some sort of 'view' of the outside world, via the glass, for it to work.

The power cable goes to an extra in-line cigarette lighter socket, that I connected into the fuse box. The Leon's other sockets are always live - I wanted one that went on with the ignition. (and anyway, the cable was obstructing the switch for the door mirrors). The Traffic receiver and the power adaptor are cable-tied in the fuse box area, behind the dash. (The Leon's fuse box is on the far end of the dashboard, despite the manual's insistence to the contrary!)

and he wrote:
but still dont want to leave the mount on display as there are more than a few dodgy characters who wouldnt think twice about breaking into it, on the offchance that I might be STUPID enough to leave it in the glove box.

Well granted, the mount alone would cost £25 to replace, but it must be like preparing for a Shuttle launch, if you dismantle it all every time!

I wondered, if a thin laminated card, stuck to the mount and normally covered by the Nüvi, carrying the message "It's in my pocket!" would do the trick Exclamation

I've just realised, that Garmin no longer include the "Garmin Lock" stickers, so that you can advertise to the world that you have a SatNav!
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a TomTom 910 and it was a pig when it came to looking for a signal - even when placed on the dashboard top like the previous poster.

I find that my 760T is quite happy in a position well below the level of the bottom of my steering wheel. Consequently I can attach the sucker to a flat area of the bottom instrument console and keep the lighter cable quite short.

TomTom's traffic jobbie is a running joke around here (look at the threads!). I expected nothing better from my 760T so just dropped the traffic aerial on to the floor beside my driving seat. Imagine my astonishment when it started to put messages on my Nuvi screen.

So, my message is try to see how low in the car you can retain a signal. I say retain as it does help to put the 760T on the dashboard top when you get into the car. However, once its found some sats it seems quite capable of keeping or refinding them in a far less prominent position.

Worth a go anyway and I, like you, hate knitting.

Tony
SW6
mark2jag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: what a damn con!!!!! Reply with quote

Well. I've had my Garmin 760T now for just over a day, came back from newcastle ish area at around 2 to 3 o clock this morning the 19th, with a full traffic signal and it showing lots of traffic disasters. Can you imagine my horror when I got to J15 M25 to head back to the M3 only to find it had been completely closed due to an accident. No warning AT ALL. why DID I PAY ALL THAT EXTRA FOR A SYSTEM THAT QUITE CLEARLY DOESNT BLOODY WORK. I'm fuming at the time of writing this, my advance warning in this particular instance was "M25 CLOSED AT J15", CLEVERLY SITUATED ON THE GANTRIES AFTER ITS TOO LATE TO GO ANYWHERE ELSE.As it clearly doesnt do what it says on the tin would anyone have any comments on me sending the damn thing back and saying words to the polite effect of thanks but no thanks, bearing in mind i've only had it 2 days. Another annoyance is that the text to warn you of impending speed cams is far too small, almost not legible, especially at night, and also noticed when in route mode you can't have your speed displayed. HELP HELP HELP, and AAAARRRGGGHHHHH. Thank you all, Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: