Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Palm TX / TT6 problem with SD card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm TX / TT6 problem with SD card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Palm TX / TT6 problem with SD card? Reply with quote

I am experiencing a bizarre problem on my set up.

When first loaded onto a 2Gb SD card TomTom 6 (v.6.030) runs perfectly (a little slow on the screen refresh which makes it slightly jerky compared to TT5 but OK).

After a period of regular daily use the route planning throws up an error and does not complete. Route planning does however still work using it from a different start point or a shorter route.

Googling the problem suggest that it is either a corrupt file on the SD card or a problem with the way the TX handles memory.

Reformatting the SD card and reloading TT6 cures the problem for a while (this varies – see below).
I do not know how (or even if) the SD card is involved in calculating/memorising a route but I do know that one of the early iterations of another GPS program (viaMichelin) had to produce an SD cleanup utility in order to work reliably. I got hold of a copy but using this seems to make no difference to TT6.

Stepping through ALL the files on both the card and the TX with Filez does not find any file as corrupt.

Initially I saw this problem roughly fortnightly. Thinking to see if it was a memory capacity problem I loaded UDMH and the problem still occurred. I then installed Memunfragment as well and the problem moved to occurring roughly monthly.

After more trawling the forums I installed DBCache Tool and set it to 4Mb for Navigator only. This has moved the problem out to 6 weekly intervals.

Following a suggestion that it might be a memory management problem I loaded R-Lock and indeed the whole program seemed a lot more sprightly but after only two days the whole program started locking up so I have removed this.

I have now removed the above DB cache utilities and replaced them with Uncache and Off Flush to see if these slightly more up to date programs make any difference.

On balance, and despite the time taken to fail varying, I suspect this is an SD card or "file not properly cleared" problem since reformating the card and just copying the backup files back clears the problem for a while.

I am now completely foxed and have come to see if anyone here can help please. Smile
sangahm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try another SD card and see if you experience the same problem? I've not experienced that issue on my TX/TT6.
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sangahm wrote:
Can you try another SD card and see if you experience the same problem? I've not experienced that issue on my TX/TT6.

Will do but it will be a week or three to see if it works.
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sangahm wrote:

As you are the second person to suggest the SD card may be implicated I have changed the card. My reading on the subject suggests that how the card is formatted may have an impact, many formatting utilities evidently don't adhere to the SD spec. in some respects. I have downloaded the Panasonic (Matsushita) SD formatting utility from the trade group supporting the SD standard at http://www.sdcard.org/home/ , (if this one doesn't get it right there is no hope for any of us) and formatted the card used before loading TT6.
So now it's just wait and see

Two weeks later and still OK Wink Laughing

I have just downloaded Softick Cache for evaluation on my Palm TX following a recommendation on the 1src forums.

I have found some comparisons on-line which show that Cache's performance on a TX can be a bit marginal as measured using benchmarking software.

However my primary interest is improving the performance of GPS software (Tomtom 6) running from a generic SD card.

My experiences to date are:

Cache does not install happily if other caching software is running (UDMH in this case) and hangs.

They seem to co-exist OK once installed but since Cache takes over a block of dynamic memory to work and UDMH allocates storage memory as dynamic memory I am unclear if the one is helping or hindering the other since both are done on the fly, although I guess even storage memory is quicker than card "memory".

In use;
initially Tomtom reported not enough memory but a soft reset solved that.

After a couple of half hour journeys Cache reports the following statistics:

Read 725Mb
Effectiveness: 94%

Hits: 1486284
Misses: 31070

Sectors
Cached: 1174
Written: 202
Evicted: 83025

I cannot tell if this is good or bad in terms of software operating speed, it does seem to imply that Cache is working as it should.

Subjectively you need an increase in operating speed of better than 30% for it to be really human noticeable so I can report that the route planning functions of Tomtom did indeed seem faster to me as did recalculating the route on the fly if I ignored the existing route.
Tomtom 6's slight jerkiness on the TX seems to be helped although it takes on a more smooth, smooth, smooth, jump pattern which is interesting Surprised .

Any thoughts, comments, advice will be much appreciated...
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14th April 08 Update.
Still working great after a trip through France and a couple of long UK runs in addition to everyday use as a camera warning.
I think the problem had its roots in SD card corruption and I think my advice to anyone running Tomtom (any version) from their card who experiences odd problems without doing anything to provoke them, would be to try a different, properly formatted, card before anything else. It being fairly easy to back up and restore through TT Home.

Thanks to all who contributed. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: