Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Its arrived 920T but what now?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Its arrived 920T but what now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All duly noted . The pics may have to be dealt with privately though - Wouldn't want to make anybody ill. Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:

Will they ask for any details other than email address for my HOME Account?

They might well ask for you to email or fax a copy of your shop receipt as proof of purchase, so best to get it in before 30 days from THAT date (as Dennis says).

Quote:
mods will be mods!! (not sure what a verifier is)

A verifier is just someone who double-checks the speed camera reports before they get added to the PGPSW database. (Keeps me off the streets I suppose! (Well actually, it doesn't Rolling Eyes )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
Phone is good. Good sound through the car stereo. yes I have to turn it up some but not as much as I was led to believe.

This topic is a really good one, which should be compulsory reading for all newcomers to these devices. Thumbs Up

Soooo..... I don't normally agree with editing posts after they're getting a bit of age. However, in view of my liking of this thread and hopefully we'll direct people to it in the future, may I recommend you go back and click on the edit button of that post and put a couple of carriage returns after the "phone is good", to make a new paragraph? Reason is that the phone doesn't go through the car stereo (as I'm sure you know by now) and with the two sentences so close to each other, some people might get the impression that it does. The whole of this thread is so good that it would be a shame to have a tiny thing like that. If you feel uncertain about doing it safely, I can do it for you if you want.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have done that for you but reading back I think I have still missed a point here. No I haven't tried to use the phone hands free through the stereo but I think you are suggesting that it will not and never will do that any how. Wasn't to know this as I haven't tried to do it.

Confusing myself now. Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, hands free will not work through the FM. Whether it ever will is down to TomTom. Some people (called MikeAlder) are quite satisfied that it would take very little effort by TT to make it work and if they were a little more accommodating with whatever it takes, Mike could probably do it for them with little more than a number something screwdriver. Incompetent people like me have to wait for it!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by way of update.

I have managed to get TT to give me access to v715 maps for Western and Central Europe. I have told them I want US and Guam as well. I await a response.

As a newcommer I thought that I would get the update on 'latest map guarantee' option but that didn't work. I had to go to 'update' in TT Home.

I have read somewhere on here that you have to remove the old map version to put the new one on. This was not the case. Infact it wouldn't let me do it unless the old version was still on the device. The when I downloaded it I had to let it run over night. Not sure how long this took ( on a quick BB connection ) but it was done by morning.

Note - On Mike's advice had had kept a backup of the file mapsetting.csg. When I downloaded the new version it left my own POIs in place BUT it did not keep the personal settings. Good job I kept the file Mike - just copied it back to the W & C European folder and all is fine.

I backed up the device on getting it ( to computer and then to DVD ). I also backed up through HOME before doing the maps. This put a TOMTOM file on MyDocs and put everything in there.

I got another file when removing the US map but this is also stored on the computer and can be put back at anytime. Just waiting now for news on the new US map and for a suitable SD card.

Sorry if you find this boring but I thought this may be of help to others who find themselves in my position. ie totally new to TT, TT HOme, etc
sjh4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re maps, if latest map update dose not work, tomtom will require proof of purchase receipt to validate claim for new map, they use purchase date as start of 30 day period, so if u want the latest map make sure u claim it no later than 30 days after the receipt date
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done now.

TT have now also made the v715 guam and US maps available to me. Just need to get an SD card big enough now. (See other thread ).
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TOMTOM site shows the following -

Note: When a new or updated map is installed, it does not delete any earlier versions of the map on your device. If you need to create space on your memory card/hard disk to install the new map, you may need to delete an old or unused map before you proceed with the installation.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php?ID=1&Language=1&query=download+maps+to+sd+card&FID=5169

I have a problem with this. If I delete a map then 'update' does not recognise that I need the new one and does not make it available. Also, when I downloaded v715 of the European map it OVERWROTE v710 that was already on the device.

Is the TT site wrong?
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the previous poster(s), I am updating my 920T from 710 to 715 maps. After spending several days communicating with TT support, sending tham copies of the sales receipt, and then the serial numbers, they finally set the new maps to my Home account. I downloaded and updated the Europe (W&CE) ones , but the US maps seems to have grown fromm 1.3GB to 1.8GB, so they won't fit! I am abour 200MB short on the internal memory... Is this correct?

Do I now need to get an SD card to store one set of maps on - and if so, will a 4GB SDHC card with a 2MB/sec transfer rate be good enough?

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks, Peter.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf, it looks as though the TomTom advice is aimed at purchasing new maps. I don't know what we're supposed to do if we haven't got space if we are using the latest map guarantee. I have an empty 4gb SD card so I can download it to that. Then I can move the old map to the computer and save the new one internally.
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am abour 200MB short on the internal memory... Is this correct?
Do I now need to get an SD card to store one set of maps on - and if so, will a 4GB SDHC card with a 2MB/sec transfer rate be good enough?

Correct, I went through that early this week. Even if you remove all the non-essential stuff you are still about 100MB short of space to hold both maps on a device sold as being capable of holding both maps. Tomtom's advice is get an SD card. An SDHC card will be fast enough, I'm using a micro sdhc card in an SD adapter, no problems apart from a few issues with tomtomhome;

Having moved the USA map manually to the new card, home now wants to install the usa map on the device (which there isn't room to do) and when I check for updates on the sd card, it wants to download the western europe map. I haven't let it do either yet.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:

I have a problem with this. If I delete a map then 'update' does not recognise that I need the new one and does not make it available.

I've not used the Latest Map Guarantee, but I can't see it is any different to buying a map online and that is a two-stage process.

The map is first downloaded to the PC and only after it has finished is it loaded onto the TomTom. It can also be re-loaded onto the TomTom at any time after that.

So... there should be nothing to stop you leaving your old map in place to get the download. You can then delete it in order to make space for the new one which can then be transferred across.
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well - after some fun and games, I am now sorted with the 715 maps on my 920T. The 715 North_America map is around 1.83GB, almost the same size as Western & Central Europe. The NA map seems a lot bigger mainly due to the POIs and speech files it now comes with - it all definately won't fit on 4GB, which explains why it came with the 710 maps!

I purchased a 4GB SDHC card from Novatech for £16, and used the Panasonic utility to format it - I couldn't access it without errors until I had done this, and then removed the card, started & stopped the 920, and then put it back in; only then was I able to copy the NA maps to the card, which then worked OK.

So the sequence for me was:
1 - hassles with TT support to get access to the new maps
2 - download & update the W&CE map
3 - copy the W&CE map to the PC; delete it from 920
4 - download & update the NA map
5 - copy the NA map to the PC; delete it from 920
6 - copy the W&CE maps to the 920
7 - install the SDHC card in the 920
8 - use panasonic utility to completey format & erase it
9 - remove the card; restart the 920; shut it down; put the card back in; restart the 920
10 - copy the NA maps to the SDHC card.

All copies done with Windows Explorer; with extra backups at each stage. It looks lilke my 2 or 3 year old PC card reader can't handle the SDHC card, so I used the 920 in effect as the card reader - this worked fine after the format.

And if you are on a BB connection with a download cap - be aware the downloads are nearly 4GB in total, and my first attempt failed 3/4 of the way through with an XULrunner error, and the second time when my wife turned the PC off - fortunately I am on AOL without a cap, but I must have downloaded ariound 7GB just for this!
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is useful as I am waiting for my SD card to arrive.

Fun and games to follow no doubt.

You lost me a bit on the Panasonic formatting. Is that particular to your SD card?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: