Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
To be fair, the Go520 and 720 ARE the same hardware apart from the size of internal memory, but Home still should be able to tell the difference!

I did throw Home a curve tho, I have a 4GB external card Laughing Out Loud

Dave
weely
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mike, will have a look at that but I do try to keep away from windows software, never have another pc. Thumbs Up
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Dan, you can wake up now Laughing Out Loud

Dave
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

The green circle on the TMC now seems to mean 'I have had a signal in the last 10 minutes or so' NOT 'I have a signal now' as it used to do.

If you browse the traffic incidents when a route is planned do you get any delay indicated for any of them? I don't, but if I unplug the TMC and use my GPRS traffic the same incidents give delay information and add time to the route, which isn't happening on RDS-TMC.

It appears that in response to the wildly inaccurate delay info with RDS-TMC on previous Navcore 7 versions TT have 'fixed' it by just turning off the delay part, it now only notifies you of incidents.

Also, if you have 3 plus incidents on your route how many show on the traffic sidebar - on mine it is none of them and has been with all versions of Navcore 7. If you have ever used RDS-TMC on Navcore 6 you would see all of these incidents on the sidebar with delay times - this how the system is advertised as working by all the TT documentation I have seen. It has never worked like this with Navcore 7. Some people have reported that when they have 2 incidents the first one shows, but not the second. I only ever see anything on the sidebar when there is a single incident.

Is your RDS-TMC performing differently to the above? You need to look how many incidents you have on the route and how much time has been added to your ETA. Rerouting accurately around traffic incidents isn't possible if there is no indication of delays!!

Andy
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

Is your RDS-TMC performing differently to the above? You need to look how many incidents you have on the route and how much time has been added to your ETA. Rerouting accurately around traffic incidents isn't possible if there is no indication of delays!!

Andy

So basically Andy, if you do the official update to v7.480, it renders your unit 'unfit for purpose'. So all customers can claim a full refund from TomTom.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:

OK I note your points about the TMC. I get a signal almost immediately, and I KEEP the signal, where as with the original aerial I could sometimes get a signal but then I would always lose/gain it as car moved.

The traffic info continually updates and shows on the map pages that you scroll through, delay is shown as one minute only, but the mileage shows and updates as time/incident changes/progresses.

The traffic bar does only show one incident at a time and no delay.

So it is not perfect then. But it is certainly better than the previous TMC.

Dan

If you had tried the new aerial with 7.221 you would have a better indication of if you had a signal or not.

With 7.480 the green circle doesn't seem to change if you lose the signal until at least 10 minutes after the signal is lost - I can prove this by unplugging my antenna from the 'egg' as I have modified mine. All this time it still says 'up to date'.

So, you may well be losing the signal for five minutes or so and then regaining it, but the TT does not give you this indication any more.

The lack of delay info is a major problem - you cannot reroute without delay info, all you can do is avoid an incident. The reroute may add 20 mins to your ETA to avoid a 3 minute delay - not much use!

Andy

Last edited by AndyVaughan on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrisJ_slh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
What I can't get my head round is that since I installed 7.480 on my 720, every aspect of it is still working perfectly, and I am especially pleased with the TMC.

Dan.

I just bought my 720 last Sunday and didn't even read this thread. Installed Home from TomTom website, updated the firmware and maps. Guess what, absolutely fine.

Ok, so the bluetooth crashed while I was on battery power and the POI warning sounds keep resetting but otherwise no issues I can notice. Very happy.

After reading this thread though I'm bl00dy paranoid that it is all going to go pear shaped any second now.....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you want from the device is to navigate to a postcode while playing music and answering the odd phone call then the device will work fine. It is some of the more obscure menu options that seem to be broken.

As you have found out running the device on its battery alone is not a good idea, and if anything makes the Bluetooth phone problem more likely to occur - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
So, you may well be losing the signal for five minutes or so and then regaining it, but the TT does not give you this indication any more.

Just a small point, Andy. I'm now getting a lot of shouts "Traffic situation on your route has changed", then nothing and no change to the traffic bar (one indication if only one, possibly two incidents, no indication if three or more). AND when I look at the detail, it hasn't changed from the previous time I looked.

With 7.221 I used to get "delay now xxx minutes, do you wish to reroute?".

I am beginning to conclude that these repeats of "situation changed" are simply the aerial dropping and regaining contact - I don't think I'm being handed across that many transmitter regions.

I've got 7.221 on a 720, so I might swap the TMC round and see what I get again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I'm now getting a lot of shouts "Traffic situation on your route has changed", then nothing and no change to the traffic bar (one indication if only one, possibly two incidents, no indication if three or more). AND when I look at the detail, it hasn't changed from the previous time I looked.

With 7.221 I used to get "delay now xxx minutes, do you wish to reroute?".

I think there is a tickbox somewhere in voice preferences about reading aloud traffic info - I turned that off ages ago due to the delay is now 178 mins announcements!

You may be right - this could be an indication of losing signal and gaining it again.

Andy
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad You hit the nail on the head there Dennis, it also says it after rerouting you eg the A361 is shut from Banbury to Daventry for roadworks! started work at 0300 and set up my route on my old 520 but sat in my cab sorting my paperwork out, because the yard is well off road the unit kept trying to place me on a road choosing between 3! i got several traffic on your route has changed messages every time TT locked onto a road! At 3am the only people on the roads round here are us mad truckers hardly enough to change a road condition where the road id closed to all traffic
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how frustrating is it when everyone in front of you is going at 50 MPH through a series of SPECS and you can only travel at 45 MPH (TomTom speed) Laughing Out Loud

Dave

Sorry guys somehow managed to post to wrong thread. Laughing Out Loud
Sema_4
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
Believe it or not 7.480 has upgraded my 520 to a 720.

I suspect this is just another bug in TTH as I also get the '720' message when I operate my 920 in TTH since the last update, was fine before....
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Seems 7.481 is out any one tried it yet? is it the prodical son the perfect version or just more bugs!

Lets face it can't be worse than 7.480! but dont quote me on that Laughing Out Loud
nebula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: The "One moment please..." problem is still there Reply with quote

The "One moment please..." problem is still there in 7481 (9086) which makes this version unusable for me, so I have reverted to 7.221.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 16 of 26

Jump to: