Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Refund of ViaMichelin update subscription
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Refund of ViaMichelin update subscription
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Refund of ViaMichelin update subscription Reply with quote

I've just received an email about this. Bizarrely they want to credit my bank account rather than the credit card used (which one would expect) and worse, wish me to post details of said account. A word with their support is now on the agenda.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Refund of update sub Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
I've just received an email about this. Bizarrely they want to credit my bank account rather than the credit card used (which one would expect) and worse, wish me to post details of said account. A word with their support is now on the agenda.

I also got this and I am very concerned about sending my account details by post! Would have thought a card refund would be best... Any new from support on this Alan?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all they want is your Name, Sort Code and Account Number then it's no different to sending a cheque in the post.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i would have expected a card refund rather than a bank transfer.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a phishing attempt by someone?
I would be extremely suspicious about giving anybody my bank details.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would be very careful here, insist they refund your credit card.
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most mainland European countries (or, at least, those I've worked in) the normal method of paying someone is to make a bank transfer - cheques don't even exist in many countries, and credit cards are often less used also. I've never heard of anyone worrying about the security aspects - you normally need much more than account number and sort code to do any damage. For some reason over here it is much less normal, and makes people suspicious. I would guess that viaMichelin are just using their normal repayment method, without realising that it would cause angst in the UK. They might need persuading to treat UK customers differently...
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unsure about it to begin with, but they are sending a letter in the post with a pre-paid envelope to return the information in so at least they are not wanting the information by e-mail (which would be a very bad idea).

I have no reason to believe that it's a dodgy e-mail at all, but maybe Stu (deepfour) would still have some contacts to verify?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
at least they are not wanting the information by e-mail (which would be a very bad idea).

I'm not suggesting that what VM are doing is correct but why would it be ok to send bank details via post but not email? If all they are after is the Account Holders Name, Sort Code and Account number there's very little that can be done with just that.

I use online Bank transfers with just a Sort Code and Account Number all the time to move money to family members, between my bank accounts at different banks and to pay for changes to my website.

Just trying to understand the concerns, that's all....
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
at least they are not wanting the information by e-mail (which would be a very bad idea).

I'm not suggesting that what VM are doing is correct but why would it be ok to send bank details via post but not email? If all they are after is the Account Holders Name, Sort Code and Account number there's very little that can be done with just that.

I use online Bank transfers with just a Sort Code and Account Number all the time to move money to family members, between my bank accounts at different banks and to pay for changes to my website.

Just trying to understand the concerns, that's all....

I was just trying to point out that as they are sending a pre-paid envelope you know a physical address where your details are going, with e-mail you have no way of knowing where the information is going.

If anything 'should' go wrong you have a little more to go on than some random e-mail address.

I have no problem with them asking for the information as it's very possible that once credit card payments were taken the details would have been destroyed (I would be more concerned if they had retained the CC details).

I for one is very pleased that not only are they giving a refund... but's it's a FULL refund at that. How many other companies would have just taken the money and refused to give it back. Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just trying to point out that as they are sending a pre-paid envelope you know a physical address where your details are going, with e-mail you have no way of knowing where the information is going.

Sorry but, as i know full well (3 times now), sending stuff through the post is by no means secure either. It passes through many unknown hands and stuff occassionally goes walkies.

It's good they have supplied a pre-addressed envelope etc. Don't get me wrong i'm not knocking anyone but thought maybe i'd missed something....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Although i would have expected a card refund rather than a bank transfer.

Me too, for the simple reason that if a merchant accepts a credit card for payment then they pay a fee to the card issuer. If they refund it via credit card then they get the fee refunded too.

Quote:
I was unsure about it to begin with, but they are sending a letter in the post with a pre-paid envelope to return the information in so at least they are not wanting the information by e-mail (which would be a very bad idea).

Why would they go to the trouble of posting you an envelope, why not just send you a cheque and be done with it. Also, why email you to say they are posting a letter? Bizzare!

Smells like a phishing scam to me. Be careful out there folks.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to someone yesterday and they said that this is how they have been advised to issue refunds. However, I am certain that the merchant's T&Cs for credit card transactions state that a refund must be issued against the card and not in cash.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone received the refund letter yet?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertie100 wrote:
Has anyone received the refund letter yet?

Not as yet. Suppose it all depends on how good the French mail system is let alone RoyalMail. (Our post seem very unpredictable at the moment)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: