Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - microdrives v CF v SD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

microdrives v CF v SD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fks123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there..

i am also thinking of getting a Magicstor 2.2 GB

but was wondering whats the difference between 1022c (£115) and Magicstor Plus(£126).

i was also unable to decide between whether to get a 2.2 GB Magicstor or a 4 GB Hitachi from the Muvo 29 (£170) .

Is microdrive suitable for ipaq 5450 ?? any pros and cons ?? issues ??

My ipaq currently has 1.25 GB external storage. Do you think i am been a maniac trying to go too far ??

everything will be welcome !!!

-The prices includes next day delivery !!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the plus version, it maybe that it's bundled with a CF to PCMCIA adapter, IBM used to do this have the OEM model then the retail model.

MagicStor drives I find do work well, but they will be slower than CF because it has moving parts, and make sure you keep it away from magnets or magnetic sources.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m thinking about buying an iPAQ 2210 to run Memory-Map. I’m thinking of the iPAQ 2210 as it has both SD and CF slots.

Do Micro Drives fit the CF slot of the iPAQ 2210?

The equivalent sized MD is much cheaper then a CF card. Would a MD suit my needs for running Memory-Map or would I be best advised to stick with a solid state CF card. SD is out of the question due cost/size issues.

What’s the best manufacture (for reliability and cost) for both Micro Drives and CF cards, for use in an iPAQ 2210?

I like the idea of using an MD, as Memory-Map is storage hungry if you want a decent coverage of the UK available at any one time. But I am worried about MD reliability.

Could anybody with experience of running Memory-Map on a MD and an iPAQ 2210 let me know what you think to the set-up and give any tips, especially on brands to buy or avoid?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All MicroDrive's will fit a CF Type II Slot, which most Pocket PC's have including the 2210. The only issue with MicroDrive's is to keep them way from water, magnetic devices like the base of a GPS Receiver, and the speed.

Speed will be slow, in terms of spin up time as the drive does spin down a lot of time when it's not used, so you may find it slower if you've always used a CF or SD card. Battery time will also be affected substantially because the MicroDrive's have moveable parts.

I have the 2.2Gb MagiStor's and they're pretty good, lots of space and although they are slower than regular CF's you'll find the space you have available sort of outweighs it.

www.Valueflash.co.uk are usually pretty good for storage cards, but I found the best price at the time of purchasing my 2x2.2Gb's was www.scan.co.uk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: