Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help! TT6 Maps being wiped from storage card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! TT6 Maps being wiped from storage card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinapatra
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Help! TT6 Maps being wiped from storage card Reply with quote

Hi there
I am having a real problem with maps being wiped from my storage card and only leaving the folder behind.
Yesterday I was at the airport in Italy and had to a soft reset and my Italy maps disappeared and then when I got to the UK tomtom froze so I had to do another soft reset and my UK maps disappeared!!!!
This has happened before and it makes me nervous about losing TomTom when travelling - I do a lot with my work.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be.........
I look forward to hearing from someone.
CoPilot Live 9
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
You seem to be having a number of problems.
In the short term I suggest taking the card out before doing a reset.

Your SPV M 700 uses Windows CE
Are you using any DA's or Hacks like bass fix or the htc theme that modify how your PDA behaves?

Are you using the tomtom supplied SD cards or have you (or Orange) copied the tomtom directories onto a larger capacity microSD card?
If the latter, how the card is formatted may have an impact, many formatting utilities evidently don't adhere to the SD spec. I have experienced flaky behavior on my Palm TX and downloaded the Panasonic (Matsushita) SD formatting utility from http://www.sdcard.org/home/ , so far it seems to have worked.

The freezing will probably be a memory/cache management issue (i.e. Internet Explorer reserving a block of cache memory right in the middle on reset and fragmenting the cache). Without knowing the PDA I cannot give much guidance and suggest you look at some of the dedicated forums e.g. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=295811 however:
Tomtom does manage its own memory but there are a number of small utilities that you can google for to help you improve this to varying degrees, most are shareware so do try before you buy and find what suits your set up.
Smile
tinapatra
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martinloat
Thank you for your post.
I am running Windows mobile 5 on a HTC P3600 (SPV M700 unlocked) and Tom Tom Navigator 6 which I install off the DVD - I didn't want the SD card version.
Since I wrote about this problem my husband suggested I had a corrupt card so I have formatted another one and am trying that for the moment and it seems stable.
What you suggest about taking the card out before doing a soft reset makes sense - I will make sure I do that the next time I need a reset.
The only extra software I have on there is purchased and it is "spb Pocket Plus 4.0.2" and "WorldMate 2007 Standard edition for pocket PC."
I don't use any hacks or anything else in fact - I try to keep it simple as I believe that the more you put on it the more likely it is to argue.
I have all the updates available for the Tom Tom 6 and Home.
I don't know if this helps you help me or not - anyway thank you again for responding.
CoPilot Live 9
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinapatra wrote:
The only extra software I have on there is purchased and it is "spb Pocket Plus 4.0.2" and "WorldMate 2007 Standard edition for pocket PC."

Hi again
Looking through your software I note that as well as being a nifty app. launcher and UI skinner, SPB has a card formatting utility. I would be a little suspicious of this if it's what you use to format the cards. I can't find any evidence of its compliance to SD standards. It is people using vanilla microsoft formatting (usually on card readers under XP) who have experienced occasional problems with "corruption" on their cards (hence my use of the dedicated panasonic software). I can't help wondering if this is the same sort of thing 'ported onto mobile 5.

On the subject of cards, assure that you have a good one (e.g. SanDisk, Toshiba, etc.) from a reputable supplier, there are quite a few 2nd rate counterfeits around from e-bay and the like (look for less than perfect "photoshop printed" labels and send them back). You do not need the worlds fastest card but TT6 does respond better with a faster card e.g. x56, x133, etc. and any other software that has to read and write to the card (databases etc.) will thank you also.
Hope this helps. Smile
tinapatra
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again
Thank you so much for your help.
Actually I was unaware that my spb software had a formatting facility I had been putting the SD card in a reader and rightclicking the removeable drive to format it. I do have a 2 GB SanDisk mini SD card but I have no idea of the speed - is there anyway you can find out?
I might just invest in a new card even though the one I am using has only been formatted once like this.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved and thanks again for your help.
CoPilot Live 9
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oye Vay you asked for it - this is going to get really geeky Shocked

All SD card speeds are relative to a CD read/write speed of 0.9Mb/sec
So you have:
MicroSD/MiniSD (what was trans flash) and Std. SD anywhere between 6x (0.9Mb/sec) and 40x (6.0Mb/sec) dependant on manufacturer and age of card. (Since yours is a SanDisk and I guess not too old it is probably a 33x to 40x).

Borrowing Sandisk's terminology there is also:
SDUltra = 66x (10Mb/sec) and
SDExtreme = 133x (20Mb/sec)
(Some Micro/MiniSD's are appearing at 66x speeds - I guess driven by their use in phones).

To add to this mix you also have SDHC (High capacity) for cards over 2Gb (SD cards up to 4Gb do exist but they are rare).
SDHC is not backwards compatible, so be very sure that your device is SDHC enabled and will accept the card, BEFORE purchase!
These cards are in the process of adopting a class nomaclature based on sustained data transfer rate, so we have:
Class 1 (1Mb/s)
Class 2 (2Mb/s)
Class 3 (3Mb/s)
Class 4 (4Mb/s)
Class 5 (5Mb/s)
Class 6 (6Mb/s)
But most manufacturers do not see this as a true reflection of the cards performance and will (confusingly) quote the read/write speed also.

So. Now you know. I use internet shops such as amazon or 7dayshop.com to buy cards as in addition to being cheaper they usually carry a larger range to choose from.

As far as formating these cards is concerned by all means use your card reader, but, as noted above use the link I supplied earlier in this thread and download the (free) SD specific formatting software to use with it.

Ciao
tinapatra
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help - it has been great.
I have downloaded the software and next time I feel I have to format my card I will use it.
Everything seems stable at the moment and I have not had to do a soft reset so maybe using a new card has solved the problem - let's hope so.
Anyway thanks again.
Best regards
Laughing
CoPilot Live 9

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: