Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is There Any Way To Do This...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is There Any Way To Do This...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iainh23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Is There Any Way To Do This... Reply with quote

Firstly I am using a TomTon Go 920 but I am pretty new to sat nav and so forgive me if this is an obvious question or something that should be easy to do.

But, is it possible for me to use my sat nav to mark off a POI with no poscodes etc.

What I exactley want to do is this,

When I park my car at a destination I am heading to pretty soon (to go mountain biking) I want to be able to add where I parked as a POI, obviously I have no idea what theposcode is as I will be in an open area for the biking and it isnt actualy postcoded and I just want to be able to turn on the TomTom when I finish my ride and let it lead me back to my car as the area I am riding in can all look pretty similar and it may be easy to get lost and take a while to find my car again (if that makes sense)

Is there anyway I can just add a POI as soon as I get to where I park so I can do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
markd1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just save your current location as a favourite say 'Car' and then you can return to it. Next time jut overwrite it and away you again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful when you are parked off road and do this as you might find the device is unable to compute a route back to the car as the location is not on the map. To make sure it will work store the location at the entrance to the car park close to the road.
I had exactly the above happen to me yesterday when I dropped the daughter off at a local university complex, I used save location as Fav, when I tried to go and pick her up the device refused to generate a route! - Mike
burren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roads on the campus may well be "pinked out" as being private road/property. Try clearing the pink campus roads and try again. Might work.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further info....
You can save your current position at any time, EITHER as a Favourite OR as a POI.

To save as a Favourite
Tap screen / Add favourite / forward arrow / 'GPS position' / name it anything you like.

To save as a POI
First make a new POI category - Tap to go to to Menu page 1 / Change preferences / forward arrow / Manage POI / Add POI category/ name it and choose a marker.

Then to save the position - Menu page 1 / Change preferences / forward arrow / Manage POI / Add POI / Scroll up or down and select your category / forward arrow / GPS position / then name it.

If I remember correctly, it will often refuse to create a route to a Favourite if it is a long way off a road, but it will get as near to a POI as it can on existing roads.

If all else fails, you can locate yourself on the "Browse map" page and just aim yourself at the Favourite on screen!

Finally, burren's suggestion of "clearing the pink roads" refers to how some roads (such as on industrial estates) are marked on the map as private so will not be navigated along. These MAY be marked as pink dotted lines, it depends on your map colour scheme (they are green dotted on mine).
If you have TomTom's "Mapshare" enabled on your unit and v675.1409 or later maps, you can change these yourself to turn them back into "normal" roads.
iainh23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the various replies, this helps me a lot and I will try some of the suggestions on a test run tomorrow.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even worse if you store current location and its not a road. When you try and navigate back there you can end up somewhere else altogether.

I know this happened to me some time ago.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of that before. Sure it wasn't a one-off glitch?

Anyway, I just tried a few experiments....
I saved a Favourite and a POI both about 200yds off any road. Tried to navigate to them, and it successfully plotted a course to the closest point it could find on a road in BOTH cases.

I then browsed the map to a completely remote part of Scotland and tried to repeat the test. This time I wasn't even allowed to store the position as a Favourite (the option was greyed-out on the menu), and although I could save it as a POI, the TT would not navigate to it ("no useable locations near cursor" message on-screen).

So maybe the software's behaviour has been changed in recent updates.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine happened some time ago my son was working at a pig farm (vet med student) which was down quite a long lane.

The lane was in the map data, however whilst in the yard I stored the current location.

We went back about a week later but from a different start point so didn't realise there was something wrong.

We ended up on a road about 2 miles from the farm on the other side of the valley with no easy route. Fortuantely the original navigation was still in the recent destinations. Took another 30 minutes to get there.

It rounded of a bizzare journry I had an Autolok (gearstick and handbrake lock) and the lock failed in the locked position. I had to buy a hacksaw and remove it. It took 45 minutes and several blades to saw through.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: