Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 920T locking out during phone calls?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

920T locking out during phone calls?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltaone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: 920T locking out during phone calls? Reply with quote

Apart from the sat-nav, my 920T gets used for most of the day as a bluetooth hands-free unit, I do tech support while travelling between sites.

Occasionally the 920T locks itself out on receipt of a call, and stays locked out untill reset or powered down and up again.
The audio locks into a one second repeating loop. (Remember Max Headroom?)

Does this happen to anyone elses' unit, and is there a cure?

Phone is a (Company) Nokia 6230 on Voda.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Cool
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go720 Lockup

tt720 telephone calls

GO 520 phone problem

Another 720 fault

etc etc.

DennisN is the stuttering phone calls guru. He's on about his 7th x20 because of this problem.
deltaone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I did find one reference to "this well known problem" in a search, but not an answer.

Clearly I need to polish my searching skills. Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

DennisN is the stuttering phone calls guru. He's on about his 7th x20 because of this problem.
7th GO720 is correct. Now the first 920 is doing the same.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: ME got a duff one too perhaps..??? Reply with quote

Having finally even got Handsfree to actually work today, I have had mixed results in terms of the functionality...

Firstly I had to do the manual copy of my phone book as a text file, as outlined elsewhere, as my 443 contacts would not properly copy over.

But then, my first proper call, to my brother, outgoing, was an amazing affair - the call quality was incredible - a million miles better than when he calls me on his BMW Car Kit. Truly, it was crystal clear - I was well impressed.

Then, the problems started after this...

I actually plotted a route, so as to see what happens when the Handsfree is talking using the internal speaker, while the unit tries to output directions over FM. And what did I get - I suspect the same problem as Dennis - looped or frozen and repeated audio. But as mine was a call to my voicemail, this sounded like a machine gun, given the repeated pops or noises.

I could end the call using the hang up key on my phone, but on switching off my tomtom, it continued to make the noise, and froze on the shutdown screen for about a minute, before finally turning off properly and stopping the awful noise.

So does this mean I have a duff unit too, are they all like this, or have you found some that DO work consistently and persistently fine Dennis? What do I say when I take it back if so, after this length of time? What did you have to go through to get yours exchanged etc?

Finally, after rebooting the unit, it wouldn't connect to my phone at all, until I then rebooted my phone too. And for the final test, route directions over FM, while engaged in a handsfree call using the speaker, I found it CANCELLED all route direction instructions, whilst engaged in a voice call.

Not sure if this is correct behaviour or what. But I certainly now recall why I haven't used Handsfree all this time.

I'd appreciate advice and comments on whether they are all like this or not though, and if not, how I go about getting an exchange, rather than being without my device for 3 weeks or whatever, while sent to TT...?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briefly, I recorded the noise on my phone, then took the TT back to Halfords and said "Listen to this. Please give me a new one."

shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Briefly, I recorded the noise on my phone, then took the TT back to Halfords and said "Listen to this. Please give me a new one."

(Long post alert)

Thanks Dennis. Might pay me to do the same next time it does this.

If it's ok with all, I'm gonna continue to add to my experiences using it here, as I have already noticed something that might be HANDY TO KNOW to some.

Ok, I have now found that a lot of the time, when I switch on my TomTom now, and have it set to use both Wireless Data AND Handsfree, it fails to connect to the phone full stop. Don't ask me why - it's just one of those "just does" things. Though it always works fine when set to "Wireless Data Only".

So, to reduce this issue, what I have took to doing now, is disabling Handsfree on the TomTom, just before I switch it off and take it out of the car or van when I am finished with it.

Then, next time I go to use it, it connects to Wireless fine, as it always did (once finally set up properly that is).

So then, I go into the TomTom menu and re-enable Handsfree.

I find that doing this, makes it much more persistent in being able to connect to the phone more reliably for handsfree too, without having to keep re-booting my phone.

So a chore, but nevertheless, perhaps a handy workaround for those struggling to connect sometimes.

The next thing I found...

I can receive calls fine, but when trying to make outgoing calls, I kept getting an error on the TT saying "no dial tone detected".

I tried all sorts to get round this, including disabling Wireless Data etc, all to no avail.

Then a very very old thought occurred to me from bygone days using Bluetooth headsets on my Nokia.

My phone was LOCKED!!!! That is, I have my phone set to lock with a PIN code, not just the normal accidental key press guard, after a certain length of time!

And just like back then and my old headsets, you cannot initiate an outgoing call on a Handsfree Device or BT Headset, if your phone it is connecting to, is locked by an actual pincode lock!

As soon as I unlocked the phone with the code, I could instantly then make outgoing calls on the TomTom again! (Note Wireless Data for Traffic is NOT restricted by this - it can make a DUN connection for data, whilst the phone is locked - only voice calls and other obvious use of the phone, is prevented on a B.T. linked device, whilst the phone is still pin locked).

So worth remembering for those rare few that have their phones set to lock with a code - you need to unlock it to make outgoing calls - and this is entirely correct behaviour on the part of the TT, or the headset - the idea being that it is to prevent unauthorised use of the phone after all!

Next up, I found that on calls, I keep hearing a loud beep every now and then, as if for example, I was receiving a text message whilst on the call (you've maybe heard such things before - talking on the handset and then you get a beep in your ear, signifying a new text received).

Thing is, I wasn't receiving any texts however.

Eventually, I also worked out what was causing this though...

To make a voice call, the TT needs to place the packet data connection on hold (I use Wireless Traffic you see). And of course, as my TomTom, during a voice call, was trying to also connect to Traffic using a data call, the phone was keep telling me it can't, with the correct "packet data connection on hold" message. Of course, every time it does this, it makes the notification beep for an on-screen phone pop up.

So this will not apply to those not using Wireless Traffic. But for those that do, expect a regular beep every now and then during voice calls.

Rest assured this is no fault of the TomTom - if you were on a real call on the actual handset, you would get the beep in your EAR - TomTom is merely replicating the sound from the phone, onto the device.

So hopefully two relevant bits of info for you there - but clearly, only relevant to those that lock their phones with a code, and those that have both wireless data, and use TT for handsfree voice calls.

In the case of the first thing I mentioned though - enabling and disabling Handsfree as you switch TT on and off, this might help ALL that are having problems seeing the phone after it did once work. Also, this problem is more prevalent for those that use both Wireless Traffic and Handsfree, so those only using Handsfree might not see it as much.

Finally, I have nothing further yet to offer for the freezing audio problem alas, so can't help there yet unfortunately Dennis.

Apologies that this was a long life story Dennis/all, but I can't mention the points, without actually mentioning the points though. Grins.

Feel free also, to move it elsewhere, if you know of a better thread for it to Mods.

Cheers all.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back on topic of 920T locking out during phone calls. My previous answer is, alas, the only known cure - take it back and exchange it for another. I have not yet done so with mine as it seems to be less frequent than it was with the 720s (which still do it).

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my 920 started doing this, after 1 520 and 2 720s which were just impossible to use on handsfree, I copied the internal memory to the PC, formatted the TT, copied the internal memory contents back (yawn yawn takes ages even on USB2) and did a hard and soft reset.

Fingers crossed it hasn't done it since.

I also found my Motorola V3 was more prone to it than my Nokia???

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 920 unless you are travelling to the USA I would leave the USA maps on the PC rather than copying them back to the device, it would save you quite a bit of time - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Mike - by the way I am not recommending other people try this unless they know what they are doing - at your own risk etc

Andy
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

This problem is driving me nuts! I have a 920 and it keeps locking up on bluetooth operation for speech.

I have discovered the beeps that happen whilst you are on the phone are actually prompts of when it was going to give you a new direction. I say this because I do not have data enabled, also my TMC cable has been put nicely back in the box!

Message to Andy Vaughan, is it still ok? Only I might do the same as you, format ten re install.

Dennis N, is your 920 still playing up? What are the chances that Tom Tom would replace these units with 930's, and would they be any better I wonder?

SDM197
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:
Dennis N, is your 920 still playing up? What are the chances that Tom Tom would replace these units with 930's, and would they be any better I wonder?

I haven't had any repeat of the problem since I followed the instructions Mike gave me a link for - roughly speaking, it was ...

Backup thoroughly (Windows Explorer)
Checkdisk
Clear Flash
Format (full, not quick)
Reset
Factory reset.

That's just from memory, (there's got to be a reinstall somewhere in that sequence! which I did using my "day 1" first backup) so for goodness sake don't do it!! I'll try and find the link for you.

I'm not guaranteeing that it has solved the problem, but I don't seem to have been having dozens of hands free calls since doing it. Time will tell, but I'm a bit hopeful.

(I've always known that those beeps were strangulated attempts at giving instructions and POI warnings during phone calls, but I suppose the packet data thing was worth mentioning - not very likely though unless you had GPRS traffic set to update every minute or whatever frequency the beeps come - that way they'd be regular, not occasional).

sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

If you could find the link I would be very grateful, its just that my 920 nearly went out the side window of my car this morning! I was on an important business call and it locked up twice AAARRRRGHH,

I would have stopped to take the call, and transfer to my handset, but was on a motorway so couldn't.

Thanks in advance,

Steve (AKA SDM197)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve.
I've been searching for an hour now and it's hard work (simply because x20 faults and cures are popular threads).

I've sent a call for help to Mike, so hopefully between us we'll find it.

I know it did involve drastic formatting, checkdisk, reset, factory reset and ClearFlash, but what sequence? You'll want the clear flash tool from TomTom anyway, so see if you can get it whilst you're waiting - I've been trying their website for ages too to find the link to that (free) download from them, but the site seems out of order (unless it just recognises me!!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: