Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 250 POI confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 250 POI confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve208
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 250 POI confusion Reply with quote

Hi All
Sorry if this has been asked but i have scanned the old posts & am no wiser, just got a nuvi 250 has the 257 problem been solved with this sat nav (firmware 3.60) or is it still a problem. If so can somebody explain the limit as i'm very confused, if i have ATM then in this Natwest & Abbey is this 3 categories ( does it matter how many CSV files are in each category), so i could have ATM but put all the Banks in as one, not seperated by name so havin 1 category is this how it works.

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 'category' is a single csv file.

as for the 257 limit i'm not sure whether the 2xx series were ever affected by this?

MaFt
Steve208
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt, i take it one CSV file & its associated BMP file are 1 catagory or will that be 2. I have spoke to Garmin & they say all there sat navs come with a limit for POI, but they were unable to say what the limit was for a nuvi 250 helpful. Can anybody aid me with putting POI on the sd card i have tried but got no where, from what i have read on this site i need to put the file on the sd card in .gpi format, how do i get to this format, when i down load the speed cam database & unzip it they are all CSV files & when i use the POI's from this site & unzip it creates a POI's file put with no file extension so i cant tell what file type it is, i believe it could be a .gps but not sure, anyway tried it on card & nowt happened just booted to main screen. Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have your memory card connected to the pc then you should be able to select that drive in poiloader. this will do all the conversion to a file called 'poi.gpi'

once you insert the card into the nuvi it should ask if you want to copy the files to the nuvi or not. either answer should allow you to access the points.

garmin are right in saying that all satnavs will have a poi limit. however, garmin's handling of it is to stop the unit working completely often requiring it returning to garmin themselves! other devices will either not allow you to copy them in the first place or simply ignre any 'extra' ones!! - thats the issue - not the actual limit itself!

MaFt
Steve208
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt

Finally got the POI on my sd card thanks for the simple walk through. You are right when i spoke to Garmin they said that each unit has a limit although they didn't know what the limit was for a nuvi 250 & that if i put to many on i would need to return unit to them for sorting, the tech guy suggested that i wouldn't need to put to many on anyhow, about 50 POI he suggested. Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the i3 had 80 or so as it's limit... to be honest if you only put on what you need then you should be ok! it's the 'its available i must have it on there' mentality that causes problems!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: