Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry - but which Garmin???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry - but which Garmin???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theopental
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Sorry - but which Garmin??? Reply with quote

Hi

I want to buy a handheld unit to load Memory Maps on

Im struggling with the Garmin website to make sense of the different models

Im not bothered about a colour screen

I would like an altimeter

It'd be nice to connect it to my PC with a cable that costs less than a tenner, not 30-40 quid

And my PC doesnt actually have a serial port so must be USB which puts me off the Geko 301 which was my first choice

Battery life - the longer the better

Fits in a pocket

Weather proof

Probably being used in trees, if that makes a difference

Comments welcome

Thanks
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a GPSmap76CSx, which is excellent, but is in a higher price bracket the the Geko units. By load Memory Maps - do you actually mean the maps, or the routes generated using memory map?. I ask, because just in case you aren't aware, you can't load the actual maps onto the unit - only route and waypoint data. I've use aGeko 201, which I thought was OK. but limited battery life - my guess is the 301 will have a similar limitation. I believe some of the eTrex Venture series have USB connectivity, but no altimeter. The Vista has both, but is more expensive. GHarmin's website will give you the info you need
abuchan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin GPSmap60CSx which is excellent, unfortunatly you can only load the Garmin Topo maps onto it which are not very good and are expensive. It has all the features that you require and it works just about anywere. You can get a Topo map for your area on a SD card from the OSGB for about £70. The unit itself is £245 from Ebuyer.com
It comes with a USB lead which will connect it to your laptop which you can use in a car as a complete navigation system if you have Memory Map instaled or you can down load your track after you have used it as a stand alone device. You can also plan a route on Memory Map on the laptop and then upload it to the GPSmap60CSx. You can get the Memory Map software for £50 which is excellent value for money.
The only gripe that I have with my Garmin GPSmap60CSx is the poor maps that you are forced to use. If you could load OSGB Landranger maps on to it it would be wonderful!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry - but which Garmin??? Reply with quote

theopental wrote:
Hi

I want to buy a handheld unit to load Memory Maps on

You won't get OS maps on GARMIN but take a look at Satmap or RoadAngel 7000 if you can only lie with electronic OS maps. (search these forums) These will do this -but not cheap

Im struggling with the Garmin website to make sense of the different models

Im not bothered about a colour screen

You tend to get colour on the higher level models / new models anyhow.

I would like an altimeter

Depending on what you are trying to do then you may want to look at an inbuilt barometric altimeter - more accurate than GPS altimeter alone.

It'd be nice to connect it to my PC with a cable that costs less than a tenner, not 30-40 quid

And my PC doesnt actually have a serial port so must be USB which puts me off the Geko 301 which was my first choice

All new models come with USB connectivity

Battery life - the longer the better

Battery life isn't too bad with these devices - and most Garmin handhelds use AA size batteries- not a problem to carry a few spare.

Fits in a pocket

Depends on size of your pocket! Some units will - others will require a map-pocket sized pocket

Weather proof

All gamin handhelds are rugged and designed for outdoor use in rain etc. Some models will float.

Probably being used in trees, if that makes a difference

Yep - you will need a high-sensitivity unit.

Comments welcome

If you already have MemoryMap then the RoadAngel product will allow you to use the maps on the device - but they have to be the V5 maps - the older v4 maps will not work apparently.

However you could buy an inexpensive handheld unit and use MM to upload waypoints and routes and to download tracks etc. Print off a customised map and toddle off for the walk.

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: