Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Mio C620t - Voices, Map Colour & "Skins"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mio C620t - Voices, Map Colour & "Skins"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: New Mio C620t - Voices, Map Colour & "Skins" Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just taken delivery of a new Mio C620t (the C620 with the TMC module) as a replacement for my C510e and wondered if anyone knows whether the "modified" female voice for the older v2/3 software works on this new MioMap 2008 software? As always, Mio have just shipped the one Male voice... Shocked

I'd also be interested to find out if anyone has tried to modify the screen colours... the new selections by default are: MioMap, Soft, Retro, Greyscale, Game, Blue & Antique -- can v2/3 schemes be loaded and/or is there a decent editor out there to help? I'm an old fuddy duddy and like BLUE motorways, not orange Wink

And finally, for now, what on earth are the "skins" for the C620 -- I'm guessing they are themes, but there don't seem to be any in the settings menu to select at all -- has anyone seen or heard anything about these yet?

Many thanks in advance!

-------------------
FuzzyDuck
daktari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FuzzyDuck,

I've been running the C620 for a couple of weeks - and had no problem copying over a female voice (Philippa) from my previous Mio 268+, so I can't imagine that you should have any problem from the C510 voice folder.

Haven't yet succeeded in getting Philippa to give me directions in yards / miles - seemed to work for one trip then reverted to "in 50 metres turn left" or similar - can live with it, but there must be some way to set it correctly.

Haven't tried loading the old screen colour schemes as yet - tried the new Retro / Antique etc & didn't like them!
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daktari

Thanks -- I'll try copying over my old "tweaked" female voices and let you know!

One odd thing that I have noticed is that the road speed signs in the bottom left of the screen all seem to be 1mph out! 30mph is showing as 29, 40 as 39 and 60 as 59... I guess it's a kmh to mph conversion that's not rounding correctly -- is yours doing the same?

FD
daktari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it's the same on mine, 29 for 30mph limit, 39 for 40mph, etc - mildly annoying as it wasn't like this on my earlier device!

Yesterday I downloaded the latest MioMap 2008 updater tool http://www.mio-tech.be/en/support/C620-downloads.php
which seemed to download a lot of data - I haven't had a chance to see what differences there are as yet - but I did notice that the "old" female voices "Elizabeth" & "Phillipa" iirc are back!
daktari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FuzzyDuck,

I've had a terrible time with trying to download updates to my C620 - and MIO helpdesk & done very little other than tell me "it works fine on our units"!!!

BUT - today the updater (MioMap updater 2008 1.4 from the MioClub website) worked Very Happy and now I have speed limit indicators of 30 / 40 / 50 etc and distances to turn in yards rather than metres Laughing Hallelujah!

Let me know if the updater works for you.

Regards
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daktari

I took your advice -- and tried the updater - several times, and like you FINALLY got it to work! The speed display is now correct Smile

As for "skinning" the C620, some digging around found a French forum where a user called "bco" has done a LOT of work with the C620. One of his main bugbears is the fact that when the side panel is closed, you can't see speed/time/distance info, but when it's open it takes up so much space that the map part is smaller than his old C510e!!

He's come up with a tiny info panel and its fab. He really should work for Mio! In 3D map mode, the info panel shows up above the Menu and panel arrow on the RH side -- it shows Current Time, Time to Destination, Arrival Time, Distance, Altitude (!) and speed. The speed display even does the colour change depending on your speed and the speed limit. Touching the panel makes it slide away, giving you a full map again. Touching the RH side of the map (where the panel was) makes it appear again.

This guy has even customised the Road name area at the bottom of the screen, adding a "shortcut" arrow under the Volumne button -- it pops up an extra set of buttons without leaving the map display Smile

Installation was simple -- rename the data.zip in the miomap folder to original_data.zip and copy his bco_data.zip file into the folder and rename it data.zip. I rebooted and bingo! It worked. He even has a new button on the Map Colours setup page to allow you to change the fonts and colours on the side panel

This guy seems to be open to ideas and suggestions, so check out the forum (and the screen shots). My French is non-existant, so Google Translate helped me Smile

The link is: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102240&whichpage=12

Let me know what you think!

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
daktari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bco skin is great! I love it - as you say, the MIO side panel is just too intrusive, whereas this is perfect.

I couldn't resist (!) after installing the bco skin testing a download of Speedcam updates (fine) and running the MioMap updater tool - this reset everything back to the original settings - shame Sad

I'll certainly keep an eye on this link to the GpsPassion Forum - there seems a lot more interest in the C620 than there is on here Cool

Thanks FuzzyDuck

daktari

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: