Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat-navs blamed once again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat-navs blamed once again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am offered low bridge POI for my 910 when I connect to Tomtom 2.2. They are in various height files.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like TomTom MapShare is sending out the offer of sharing a Low Bridge height POI file.

This is probably illegal as the file will be covered by copyright - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The issue is not sat-navs, it is the blind reliance on them by drivers who see them as an alternative to proper planning, observation skills and simple common sense.

This reminds me of the driver of a motorhome who set the Cruise control on the motorway then went into the back to make a cup of tea. CoPilot
g4ens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The only good thing about the new low emissions zone charges and the ludicrous hike in congestion zone charges for some vehicles is that it may hasten Ken's unceremonious exit from the mayoral job.

One can but hope that this idiot and is anti-driver campaigns will result in a massive vote for anyone else in the coming elections.

I'm all for reducing pollution and becoming more responsible but his single minded attacks on certain types of driver are not the way.

Perhaps you would like to read Ken's Green Book, or "The Low Emission Zone. Cleaner air for Greater London" to use it's cover name.

I recently received a reprint in the Royal Mail. There are a few changes. In the original vehicles were baned due to the type (ie large van). Now one make of vehicle is mentioned by name - Land Rover. There are no other makes mentioned.

Incidently my compliance Certificate under 'Make:' shows 'UNKNOWN', yet I've told them it's a Land Rover many times!

Now retired I can only aford one vehicle, and it's a Land Rover as it will last longer than me!

Reg
g4ens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobren55 wrote:
I know a lot of people don't like them being on the road, but what about us caravaners. Question
A couple of times last year I have been sent down roads which look good and wide but when you get further down the road they narrow and there is no place to turn around. Embarassed
They are often wide enough to get the van down but you have to hope that nobody comes the other way Shocked

I would like to get a copy of the maps that show width/height restrictions.

Bob R

Rob is thinking laterally. When a driver is using tools he has bought (here paper map or satnav map) then he should be able to assume that the tool is correct, but be aware that anything may be faulty, unless a passenger in a fly-by-wire-aircraft!

If the driver hits a low bridge like the London Bus, then it's the drivers fault and he should be taken to court.

But if congestion and delays occur for other road users, then the police should investigate the cause. If the map was at fault and there were no other indications of a problem, then the police should take the seller of the satnav to court, together with the satnav maker and the map data maker.

Then we would see an improvement in quality of our satnavs.

Reg
g4ens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that the clock is wrong.

Using my off-air radio controlled clock, I'm posting this at 12:29:50
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if congestion and delays occur for other road users, then the police should investigate the cause. If the map was at fault and there were no other indications of a problem, then the police should take the seller of the satnav to court, together with the satnav maker and the map data maker.
How many people have read the EULA before using their Sat Nav device? For those that haven't I suggest they do.

It's the drivers responsibilty to make themselves aware of hazards and other dangers. If they can't do that they shouldn't be driving.

The problem appears to be the 'Nanny Sate', people are told what they can and can't do almost daily. As a result some peoples brain cells appear to have gone into relaxed mode.

The media is similar, especially the Weather forecast, thank goodness they tell me that when it's going to be sunny I could get sunburned and should put some cream on. What would I do if they never told me that expected rain could cause spray on the motorways, or snow on the ground and it could be slippery?

Then there's the 'blame culture'. No one wants to take the blame for their own actions, it has to be someone elses fault. A typical example is of an ex work friend who lost control on a bend, in the wet, and hit a lampost. He said if the lampost had been sited elsewhere he would have been OK so it wasn't really his fault. Rolling Eyes Yes! He was serious.

What happened to commom sense?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, the stock reply/excuse..(Government, Police, Health Service, Inland Revenue,Customs,Railways etc.etc.)....'It's nobody's fault, BUT, lessons have been learn't.'
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
And of course, the stock reply/excuse..(Government, Police, Health Service, Inland Revenue,Customs,Railways etc.etc.)....'It's nobody's fault, BUT, lessons have been learn't.'

It's always sombody's fault and it seems that lessons are frequently not learned witnessed by constant repetitions of the same old things. Crying or Very sad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
The problem appears to be the 'Nanny Sate', people are told what they can and can't do almost daily. As a result some peoples brain cells appear to have gone into relaxed mode.

I think the problem is that Sat Nav systems work really well over 95% of the time which lulls people into a false sense of security and then they bite you on the bum. A bit like if your car handled really well most of the time and then suddenly and without warning it would go into a slide and scare the hell out of you.

Yes, people do need a certain amount of common sense and I do believe that if you make something idiot proof then they will invent a better idiot but also the mapping companies need to sort out the errors in their maps and stop sending people down roads which are not suitable.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do believe that if you make something idiot proof then they will invent a better idiot
Very Happy

Quote:
but also the mapping companies need to sort out the errors in their maps and stop sending people down roads which are not suitable.
It would be nice to have mapping updated on a regular basis, but how often should that be? At present it's about every 12 months and a lot can change in that time. Maybe 6 months would be better or even every 3 or less, but at what cost? And would we be prepared to pay it?

Narrow lanes are a problem for HGV's but as most are National speed limit they are in a lot of cases the 'fastest' route. Not so of course because often 25-30 is a safer speed.

I'm sure the same problems occured when drivers of large vehicles used a paper map. Once in Scotland I looked at the large AA map I had and noticed a road heading back towards our campsite. I drove for about 45 minutes before coming face to face with a farm gate. If someone had been using a Sat Nav and travelled the same route they would have probably blamed the Sat Nav.

People should ask themselves if they ever went wrong when using a paper map, if they never then why buy a Sat Nav? I may be easy to please but all I expect of mine is to get me from A to B and it always has. There has been the odd hiccup but I'm confident enough in mine to do the job. My wife prefers it as she can enjoy the view and there are less arguements when she sent me the wrong way, or as she says 'Why don't you listen to what I say'?

I wonder how many of these people who get it so wrong e.g. driving onto railway lines, driving down a narrow lane and opening a gate to drive through and end up on the edge of a cliffe, turn into one-way streets etc, plan ahead for their journey and ever take a paper map, as backup, just incase their Lord and Master dies on them.

One of the funniest things I've heard is what a mate told me. His neighbour had purchased a second hand Sat. Nav on e-bay and after several runs came to the conclusion it was a load of rubbish. The routing was all wrong and it 'told' him to go into one-way streets, footpaths etc. My mate found out it had been left in pedestrian mode. Very Happy Razz
Jerry-S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful of some low bridge databases.

I have one at the minute that warns of the tunnels at Monmouth being 14' or less.

If I get a warning on an unfamiliar route, then I pull up and check the map for an alternative route just in case.

I have mine set to warn at five miles.

Until I find a better one than I have, (Although I cant remember where I got it), i'll leave it on and just think twice when I get a warning.
dalek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: copyright question Reply with quote

Why and who would have the 'copyright' about the location and height of a bridge? or level crossing etc. Surely this would be common knowledge or was it that someone was commissioned to find out this information. I guess it would be a long a tedious job to plot all by hand. Sorry! if the question is inappropriate.
I use IGO 2006+ as it has many options as to the vehicle you are in (car, lorry, emergency, etc) and the fast , easy, economical & shortest route. I believe the disclaimer at the begining of all these SAT Navs systems say, ... it is your responsibility to obey the law & rules of the country you are driving in and ensure the route show or taken is suitable. If we, the consumer, were to have waited for a perfect map and software we will never get it, as it would not be worth to invest in such a product. We have it now only because the Military give us access to a network of satellites that cost billions. I'm thankful of them and have had many enjoyable trips abroad since 2000 with my motorbike & car from Spain to Romania.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: copyright question Reply with quote

dalek wrote:
Why and who would have the 'copyright' about the location and height of a bridge? or level crossing etc. Surely this would be common knowledge or was it that someone was commissioned to find out this information. I guess it would be a long a tedious job to plot all by hand.

Individually, the locations are not copyrighted, but when they are collated and presented to the consumer in a database, that's what becomes copyrighted - just like the PGPSW speed camera database.
dalek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, and what an excellent job you do. I use you database to convert OV2 (UK & Europe) to the IGO format. I assume you have a link for the map providers for reporting errors. I'll look around the site later when I get the chance. I reported a 'break' in the A43 between Kettering & Northanmpton to either TeleAltas or the other (TomTom & IGo provider). The problem was fixed on the next release, yet on the release after that the break is there again, Rolling Eyes it wants navigates you through the village of Broughton, coming for Northants to Kettering the road is complete , no deviation. New drivers to the area are taken, uneccesarily, through a little village. Try it plot rout from A14 junction to Northants on the A43. visa versa is okay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: