Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Source for accident blackspot data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Source for accident blackspot data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveprior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Source for accident blackspot data Reply with quote

My first post!

After searching these forums I am struggling to work out where "accident blackspot" data comes from.
Is it derived from camera locations, or has someone got hold of the Police records of accidents?
(I notice Road Angel list blackspots, and quote the Police and Local Government for the source of information).

The reason I am asking is that, after being involved in a bad accident, my friend has been looking into what official data is available concerning accidents and whether it can be used to provide POIs for satnavs, for free.

He has been working with the Police and has now got hold of the official data of all accidents for 2004, 2005 and 2006, but we don't want to re-invent the solution if it has already been done.

Yesterday I analysed and converted the data into POI's and uploaded it to my TomTom, and the analysis logic can be quite complicated so I want to understand the best approach so the real blackspots are identified.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Steve.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for accident blackspot data Reply with quote

steveprior wrote:
I am struggling to work out where "accident blackspot" data comes from.
Is it derived from camera locations,

I'd assume it would be the other way round!
They are only (supposed to be) allowed to put cameras where there have already been a certain number of accidents.

Do you know if any other satnav or radar detector manufacturers produce "blackspot" data or is it only Roadangel.

They don't do one at PGPSW as far as I know.
steveprior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Angel say they get their data from a company called Sentinel Geo System Pty in New Zealand. I can't find any blackspot info for the UK.

I'll do a comparison of the speed camera database with the accident database to see if there is a true correlation so I can then work from the published speed-camera data rather than the blackspot data.
TVR_nut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Blackspot Info Reply with quote

When I had a Road Angel, I reckoned that the blackspot data for roads like the M6 in the NW was quite good - a lot of those points where the traffic inexplicably and suddenly stops were warned against, as were places where potential tailback occurred over blind brows etc. But not sure of the source, only that it seemed sensible.

As to correlations between scameras and blackspots - VERY LITTLE, but then we know the cameras are in the spots most likely to generate revenue (bottom of hills, clear straight roads on the best overtaking straights, etc). Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: