Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - optimizing route?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

optimizing route?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinchez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: optimizing route? Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I'm a delivery driver, I get a list of up to 10 addresses a shift and have to work out the best route using maps then number them 1 to 10 and enter each address in to my Tom Tom One. The problem with this is working out the route can take a long time.

I have a Tom Tom One with the Speed Camera Database and it works great, I also have a Ipaq 4150 Pocket PC at my disposal. I'm wondering if there's any software i can use on the Pocket PC where i can enter all 10 Addresses and have visual list (not map view) of optimized Addresses as in the best order to do them in.

I know AutoRoute does the exact thing i need but i can't take anything bigger
than a Pocket PC with me and i do not Know where i am going till i start work. I can not pick up the net at work either so google maps is not an option Sad

A couple of things i'm not clear about..

Does Co-Pilot need a gps reciever in order to just use the optimize route optoin? If not can i just type in post codes and have Co-Pilot sort them in a way i can just view what order i should do them in?

Is there a version of AutoRoute for the Pocket PC that will allow me to optimize my route.

Any help is greatfully received.

Thanks Smile
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a problem that many people want solved, it's been asked for since the first Navman ICN and Tomtom PDA software was released at the turn of the century. I don't know the TT range well enough, and am out of touch with this years products, but know it cannot be done on most systems from the past.

The problem is considered 'hard' as it is what is know as a np-complete problem - the only way to know the answer is to try every option and select the best. This is time consuming, the manufactureacurers can't be bothered with it as it makes there products look slow and poor quality, they don't think it's an important feature and it's just too hard to do.
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigator 7 from Directions allows you to enter a Departure and Destination and many intermediate wayoints. Nav 7 can then optimise these for you, and/or you can change things around yourself.

7&Y
pinchez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7andy wrote:
Navigator 7 from Directions allows you to enter a Departure and Destination and many intermediate wayoints. Nav 7 can then optimise these for you, and/or you can change things around yourself.

7&Y

Thanks

I've tried Route 66 Navigator 7 but there doesn't seem to be any option to optimize route. I've also tried to download Google Navigator but that needs WM5 or 6 and my ipaq is on WM3 Sad

I also tried a friends IGO but it seems overly complicated and i'm not too sure how to work it Confused

Again all i need to do is have a program that will just optimize a list of 10 randomly entered drops in to a list that i can see as a list or as pins in a map (like google maps)

Which Navigator 7 did you mean?

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copilot 7 and the new nuvi 700 range can use multiple waypoints and optimise the route.

both are very good actually!

MaFt
pinchez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
copilot 7 and the new nuvi 700 range can use multiple waypoints and optimise the route.

MaFt

Do you think i would be better off ditching the PPC & TT1 route and going for something like a Garmin Nuvi 710 also how is this unit compared to the Tom Tom?

Thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the reveiw for diecrtions navigator http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/directions-navigator-7.php

if you have a pocketpc then it would be a good choice but i would take time and have few days learning to use igo as that is the better application for what you require

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinchez wrote:
7andy wrote:

7&Y

Thanks

I've tried Route 66 Navigator 7 but there doesn't seem to be any option to optimize route. I've also tried to download Google Navigator but that needs WM5 or 6 and my ipaq is on WM3 Sad

I also tried a friends IGO but it seems overly complicated and i'm not too sure how to work it Confused

Again all i need to do is have a program that will just optimize a list of 10 randomly entered drops in to a list that i can see as a list or as pins in a map (like google maps)

Which Navigator 7 did you mean?

Thanks

Navigator 7 from Directions Ltd - http://www.directions.ltd.uk/
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinchez wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Do you think i would be better off ditching the PPC & TT1 route and going for something like a Garmin Nuvi 710 also how is this unit compared to the Tom Tom?

Thanks

CP7 runs on the PPC - it's very good actually. i know alix uses it as one of his main navigation aids.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: