Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom3 install and route problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom3 install and route problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geezor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: tomtom3 install and route problems Reply with quote

Sad I`ve just received my free upgrade for tt2 and set about installing it. It hasn`t been without problems however as I could not install the maps. Tried the GB map (101mb) first and at no particular time during the install it crashed my desktop PC and reboots. After three attempts I removed tt2 from desktop and ipaq 1940 and did a fresh install of tt3 (i could find no instruction to remove tt2 and assumed it was an upgrade, this proved not to be the case). Still showed same problem. Next I attempted to install the maps direct to my SD card (Twinmos) through a reader. Althought it didn`t crash the whole PC this time, it still crashed the program to the desktop. My workaround which was sucessful was to install the maps to my hard drive and then drag the folder to the sd card. This ruled out an SD card fault, a CD read error and I can only think of a memory error to crash the PC in this way (badly written install? dont know, has anyone else suffered). Read my other post for problem no 2.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map copying through ActiveSync failing is no particular surprise. ActiveSync can fail to move large files around and at least one of the files in the Navigator 3 Great_Britain map is larger than the limit above which ActiveSync can misbehave (I forget what the limit is).

The copy failing through your card reader is more of a surprise - I had no problem telling the setup to copy to my SD card in my card reader (a Made in Japan 256MB Lexar card and a Belkin F5U248 USB 2.0 4 in 1 card reader, connected to a USB 2.0 hub in my Dell 1703FP monitor, connected to a USB 2.0 port on my Dell Precision 650 - the machine is running Windows XP Professional SP1).

As a matter of interest, can you post any codes printed on your SD card.

David
geezor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Thx for your quick response. I used the card reader built into my Epson R300 printer which shows up as a removable drive in my computer. As for the SD card, it is a twinmos 128 with a 15 digit alpha numeric code. 403M4XXXXXXXXXX is this the number you mean? and are building a database of iffy cards.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the database, head over to Jon's site at http://sdprob.aximsite.com

The reason I asked for the markings was that I can recognise certain manufacturers from them. The code you post is, however, not one I recognise at all, so I've no idea whether it's a good or troublesome card. It's certainly not like any Sandisk code I'm aware of - Sandisk cards tend to be troublesome.

I'm afraid I can't give you any further explanation.

David
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed my upgrade straight over TT2 with no problems at all using Active sync and the SD card sitting in the PDA. Also loaded the France maps on another 256M Intergral SD card. These were 234 Meg. Took a bit of time but all went very smoothly - and seems to be working very well I might add!!

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: