Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best map coverage of West, Cental and East Europe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best map coverage of West, Cental and East Europe?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Best map coverage of West, Cental and East Europe? Reply with quote

Later this year I'm driving from the UK to Slovakia and I’m trying to find which in-car Sat Nav manufacturer supplies the best map coverage of West, Central and Eastern Europe (basically the whole of Europe).

As it’s the first time I’ll be taking my car with me to Slovakia (instead of using planes, buses and trains), I’d really like to take the opportunity of exploring some nearby countries if possible (e.g. Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary etc.), so detailed maps of these area would be a real bonus.

Most in-car SAT NAVs give you the ability to purchase additional maps, and most offer 100% coverage up to the Czech Republic, but this drops to about 16%~22% coverage of Slovakia.

The two main map providers seem to be NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas, and if you visit their websites they seem to indicate they have 100% coverage of these areas of Europe.

I may be assuming, but it looks as if SATNAV manufacturers choose not to supply the most current and detailed maps available of newer mapped countries, possibly due to their cost from the map providers.

After spending lots of the time researching my options on the internet, I’m still none the wiser.

Once I know which SAT NAV manufacturer offers the most detailed maps of Europe, I can then go shopping for the hardware.

Any assistance would really be appreciated.

Thanks Very Happy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT Western & Central Europe Map covers those areas.

In Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic even the smallest towns seems to be mapped. Not having been there I don't know what actually exists 'on-the-ground'.

If you can post a location, I should be able to post a screen shot. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
zundapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of us are driving to Transylvania and back in April, travelling through about 17 EU countries just to be able to say we've been there!

We have Tomtom maps of Western and Eastern Europe on our Symbian phones, and in addition we also have the relatively inexpensive (£50 - £80) Trumpion 3.5" screen units from eBay which have a Western and Eastern Europe map which cover as far afield as Russia on them. These run Route 66 with Navteq mapping.

The coverage in Ljubljana in Slovenia is down to street level which is as good an anyone could need and the roads outside the city also seem well covered. Hungary, Poland, the Czech Rep and Slovakia are also well covered, but Romania is a bit less so.

For the price, I think it would be hard to better one of these units, or the similarly priced ones on eBay from Hong Kong with the same all of Europe maps. Certainly in my local area, the devices running route 66 have more up to date maps, so fingers crossed it'll be the same in Eastern Europe... Mind you, I've also got an up to date AA map of Europe!

Hope this is some help to you.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks zundapp Very Happy

The Trumpion units appear to come with complete maps of Europe and the latest version of Route 66 software.

For the price you can’t complain as other Sat Nav manufacturers charge £100 plus just for the maps of Eastern Europe Shocked

As it’s also got a pedestrian mode, I can also go sightseeing on foot Smile

The Route 66 software looks pretty good. I’ve read the manual and read some reviews and it seems a pretty comprehensive package (perhaps comparable with TomTom?).

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Laughing
zundapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom and Route 66 each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Personally I appreciate Tomtom's ability to be customised and personalised (voices etc), but maybe that's just because I've been using Tomtom for the last 18 months or so, and I've got used to it.

Route 66 to me doesn't look quite as well polished, but the map coverage (here anyway) is undoubtedly better, and the voice instructions are much better than Tomtom. So you pays your money and takes your pick!

I bought the Trumpion one, and it arrived in two days from Newcastle- upon-Tyne. I also bought a Chinese one from Hong Kong (it's exactly the same thing, just with a different bezel) on behalf of one of my fellow travellers and it also arrived in two days! DHL's brilliant!

Enjoy your trip.... Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to run custom voices on Route 66 a subject that has some coverage in the Route 66 Forum section on this site - truth be told though its a real pain to do!
Speed Camera support and spoken alerts for the cameras can easily be loaded to the Route 66 software - enjoy the trip - Mike
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopee....

Just bought a Trumpion TR-G1 off eBay for £54 Very Happy

As it was local to me, I'm going to pick it up so no delivery charges Very Happy Very Happy

I just hope I haven't been fleeced Shocked

I'll be in Slovakia on Thursday (flying) for a visit, so I'll let you know how the unit performs in the country.

I just need to get around my Asthermic windscreen problem now Rolling Eyes

Anyone know the format of the external antenna socket on the unit?

I’m wondering if Maplins generic £9.99 external GPS antenna may do the trick Question
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48721&criteria=gps%20antenna&doy=25m1

Thanks to everyone for your input and kind comments, I really appreciate it.

If it fails to get me and my car from the UK to Slovakia in June I’ll be in real trouble as I’ll miss my own wedding Shocked

Thanks again Laughing
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I collected it, fired it up and it got me home Very Happy

Best spent £54 quid ever Laughing
It even came with a nice little leather case Laughing

The amount of features it has were a real suprise.

Probably the most surprising thing, was it seemed to completely unaffected by my asthermic windscreen Shocked
It picked up it’s location within a few seconds and didn’t loose it once for a whole 42 mile journey I made later in the evening.
My old TomTom and Medion (both SiRFstar III chipsets) couldn’t achieve this and required an external antenna.

I've found some more info about this device.

URL to original manufacturer:
http://www.goclever.net/goclever3530a.php

This URL indicates the amount of map coverage for each country:
http://www.goclever.net/maps.php

Unfortunately for me, Slovakia only has 40.1% of Its street network included Sad
The main roads are there, but not the suburbs.

I've managed to add lots of poi's including the speed trap camera database and additional warning sounds.

The version of Route 66 on this unit is a custom/hacked version, so you can't update it using patches from the Route 66 website.

The only real niggles I have with it are the naff arrows (more like triangles) displaying your next manouver and the mounting bracket which is a bit fiddly to release and requires two hands Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
The version of Route 66 on this unit is a custom/hacked version, so you can't update it using patches from the Route 66 website.
Out of interest would you care to elaborate further on this comment? - Mike
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes with a very official looking Route 66 Navigate 7 DVD in a official looking cardboard pouch.
Both the DVD and pouch display the Route 66 and Trumpion logo.
It also has an activation key label stuck on the inside of the cover.
However it appears this Route 66 DVD only contains an copy of the contents of the SD card and copies of Route 66's user manuals.

The software running on the Sat Nav looks like Route 66 Navigate 7 (although not the latest), but the name and logo of Route 66 can't be seen anywhere in the software.

Perhaps the software is a custom version supplied by Route 66 for the manufacturer of this unit Question

I can't see much possibility of getting updated maps for this Sat Nav, but for £54 I can't say I'm bothered.
The maps of the UK are very accurate and shows new roads/roundabouts in my area which aren’t shown on TomTom's latest maps Smile

P.S. I've had a few "application navigate7.exe has performed an illegal operation" when switching it on and plugging in the USB cable Question
But I can live with it
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update after thrashing the little device for a few days Shocked

I was wrong about the direction arrows.
They are pretty good and are very similar to the TomTom ones.
If you go off the map, you will then be presented with a naff blue triangle which will point you in the direction to get back on route.
A spear headed arrow would have been better as sometimes your can't be sure which way it's pointing.

The "application navigate7.exe has performed an illegal operation" only seems to occurs if you start plugging the USB cable in and out (like i was doing) without giving the GPS/WinCE time to sort itself out.
Take it easy and it's as stable as a any other Sat Nav.

Iv'e converted all my old TomTom POI's to suit the Trumpion with no problems Very Happy
I used the latest TomTom speed camera database and converted it to work on the Trumpion (I prefer the format).
Don't go mad with to many POI categories.
If you put to many on the unit (it's allows quite a few) it does get a little upset when you start trying to active/deactive their visibility on the navigation map view.

Iv'e created some nice true colour 22x22 icons with transparent backgrounds. They look great Very Happy

I've added my own POI warning sounds in OGG format Very Happy

It's made a few minor mistakes in it's performance over the last few days:
1) The voice told me to take first exit off a round about when the display indicated the second (the display was correct).
2) It seemed to route me a peculiar way once, taking me off the road, down a few little roads and back onto the same road a little further down?
I noticed this little error and stayed on the same road.
3) It missed a speed trap location.
It sounded correctly when I went past it on the outward bound journey, but not when I can back?

I suspect they are all glitches in the application and not in the map data.
I wonder if any fixes/updates will ever be available Question
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A response from Route 66.

Their response had nothing to do with the question I originally asked, but at least it clears up the software mystery.

Dear Sir/Madam,

The installer of the software was modified, so it can be installed on the Trumpion devices. We do not sell this versions of the software and none of our updates or upgrades of Navigate7 is compatible with PND devices.

I would like to inform you that, the reason for what you did not find information on our website about Trumpion it´s because we do not give full support for Trumpion devices. It´s a common agreement between both company´s and the customers of Trumpion should access to the link for updates through the official Trumpion website.

Please note that we do not have any control over or information regarding the products bought from Trumpion.

I kindly inform that, you should contact the provider of your device, they should support you.

They should support the device with a software CD and product key or with information regarding your purchase, map updates or drivers.

I advise to contact the manufacture of the device.

I kindly inform you that ROUTE 66 Navigate 7 software does not have a button to cancel the navigation.

Kind regards,

ROUTE 66 Customer Support
zundapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DeLorean,
Thanks for all the searching around you've done, it's clarified a lot of bits and bobs

According to the maps coverage, it's maybe just as well I've got an AA road atlas for detail in Romania!

The device still looks like excellent value for money anyway.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find them on eBay - where did you buy yours?

Alan
zundapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at eBay No 190195599020. If that's gone, then click on sellers other items, or 'list'. There's loads!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: