Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cant download poi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cant download poi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rawsondsr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Cant download poi Reply with quote

trying to download shopping-other in a combined file and all i get is a blank screen rather than a download box, tried several browsers too...
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cant download poi Reply with quote

rawsondsr wrote:
trying to download shopping-other in a combined file and all i get is a blank screen rather than a download box, tried several browsers too...

Is'nt there a zip file in the top left corner. Also try the show link option next to the download button before you press the download button. Wink
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Adam_42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I select the combine option there's no download link for me either (tried with both with show link on and off). It works if I don't set the combine option. Same results in IE and Firefox.

Doesn't seem to matter which categories I select either.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many categories are you selecting at any one time? - keep the selection down to 20 or less, make sure the "Show Link" is selected next to the download button.

Should you want all the files within a single POI category the best approach is to download the POI's in sets of 20 then use POIEdit to concatenate the files into a single POI category - Mike
jygafort
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I experienced the same issue as you.
In fact, I changed the country (USA instead of UK) and get empty zip file (what ever concatenated or not; directly downloaded or from link).
We need to click on "refresh" after choosing any new country (otherwise it could not display any UK's POI in USA Wink )
obvious
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting "connection closed by remote server" in firefox, IE and Opera when trying to download combined categories (only selected 10). Doesn't help if I refresh or select "show link".

POIEdit here I come....but I think this still needs looking at.

Edit: POIEdit cant download from www.pocketgpsworld.com/poisync/pocketgps.xml either

pocketgpsworld is listed as "down" at http://poiedit.com/sites.htm

seems to be properly broken

Last edited by obvious on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems fine to me? shopping-other combined doesn't work BUT if you select the ones you need (eg up to about 20) then it works no problems.

this limit only seems to affect the ov2 download so you could always download the combined set as csv then convert to ov2 using poiedit?

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only mentioned POIEdit above as you can use this program to concatenate a number of downloads into a single file, this is an easy way to overcome the 20 POI Category limit when downloading with the Sub Cats option enabled.
Oh and if you don't have a dictionary Rolling Eyes the word means to join together, i.e. you download a POI file containing 20 Sub cats, then download another POI File containing 20 Sub Cats and join them together to form a single POI File - its not the first time I have been "pulled" for using that word, but as I like it I will continue with its use Wink - Mike
obvious
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies Smile

On further testing, it seems I can download up to 31 sub-catgegories at a time. Given that there are around 600 subcategories, this seems somewhat restrictive. If someone wants the whole lot (combined) then they would have to do 20 separate downloads.

Note: This is only for 'combined' downloads and I've only tested by trying the first sub-cats under accommodation. It stopped providing a download link when I had the first 32 selected.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why on Earth would you WANT to download 600 sub-categories at one time? Are there ANY satnavs that could load that many without grinding to a halt?
obvious
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
But why on Earth would you WANT to download 600 sub-categories at one time? Are there ANY satnavs that could load that many without grinding to a halt?

You wouldn't. My point is just that being allowed to download 5% or so at a time (when combining sub-cats) is extraordinarily restrictive.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obvious wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

You wouldn't. My point is just that being allowed to download 5% or so at a time (when combining sub-cats) is extraordinarily restrictive.

have you tried what i mentioned above? download them in csv format then simply convert to ov2 using poiedit.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: