Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I get traffic working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get traffic working?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theopental
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: How do I get traffic working? Reply with quote

Im depressed at the thought of probably knowing the answer to this after a thorough trawl of the forum....

...... however...

I bought a 660FM at Halfords today pricipally for the traffic function.
The salesman and the box confirmed it has lifetimes traffic alerts enabled and that the bits of the UK I need were covered with good reception.

Ive fiddled and fiddled
Ive updated the firmware
Ive updated everything else I can think of in fact

I find the 'traffic' icon in the menus

I hit the 'search' button

It finds naff all

I live in the middle of the UK's 4 th biggest city
I have no probs with TV, radio or satellite reception

1) Should I just bin it and get a refund as TMC seems totally unreliable and it ws pretty much the sole motivation for my purchase?

2) Am I unlucky and shall I talk to Garmin and/or Halfords?

3) The unit will not find the traffic feed I have allegedly paid for during the life of my unit on 'search' but the web updater happily tries to sell me Trafficmaster for 60 Euros a year - is this any better?

Thanks for your patience

Theo

PS/Edit

The green lights on the receiver lead suggest reception is fine and dandy
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live/travel?

The map showing TMC is not detailed enough to show specific areas of bad reception. Some areas have better coverage that others, this is a problem with the TMC broadcasters and not the units makers so taking it back and buying a different make may not help you.

When it works, it is a benefit.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30
theopental
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the middle of Sheffield

When I go to the traffic menu I have 2 options:
Auto or search
When I hit search it finds nothing

There is no live subscription, Im guessing as I have no or poor TMC reception here.

If its an FM signal and I cant get it here what chance of getting it out on the open road?

Theo

PS I have an old car with a conventional windscreen
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get traffic working? Reply with quote

theopental wrote:

The green lights on the receiver lead suggest reception is fine and dandy

The lower one is just the power (but you know this!). It's the light closest to the cable end of the plug we are interested in here.

Is this a steady green light? If so you should have reception.

Does the warning triangle on the main menu light up blue? This indicates receiving of data. Touching this triangle should bring up a map showing the problem areas....

If you have updated the GTM21 unit to the latest firmware then the first light will flash every few seconds to show that it is scanning but not finding any information. It's meant to be Orange in colour - but mine is a mix of Orange and Green in this mode - the flashing is the give-away that a signal is not being received.

captureboy gave valid information. If you can connect the unit to an external aerial it improves things substantially. Search through these forums for many posts on this topic and solutions we have tried!

Edited to correct typos!
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheffield is built on a series of hills, I should know,try walking up Langsett Avenue from the bottom!

If you live in a valley take the unit to the top of a hill and see what sort of reception you get, you may have to be patient as the TMC will not immediatly lock on.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theopental wrote:
I am in the middle of Sheffield

When I go to the traffic menu I have 2 options:
Auto or search
When I hit search it finds nothing

There is no live subscription, Im guessing as I have no or poor TMC reception here.

If its an FM signal and I cant get it here what chance of getting it out on the open road?

Theo

PS I have an old car with a conventional windscreen

OK - leave it in auto mode for the meantime. The fact you have no live subscription is because you haven't yet received a valid signal. The lifetime subscription is started when you first receive TMC data.

Take it for a ride in your car to a high point, park the car and try the unit there. Experiment with aerial positions - if you can arrange for the unit to be outside the car or at least the majority of the aerial, it will improve the chances of reception.

Emley Moor and Tapton Hill would appear to be your closest transmitters. Tapton Hill is your local transmitter situated just off the A57 not far from the Uni. Being local (and lowish power) renders it very suceptible to shielding by the terrain - giving very patch reception. It may also be directional to fill-in local poo reception areas.

Edit- I was going to correct the typo above 'poo' should have been 'poor' - but either gives the correct meaning Laughing

Last edited by philpugh on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of questions on TMC reception: Confused

When driving, the status light on the GTM21 often shows steady green, but I don't appear to be getting traffic data. I assumed no problems in my area. Previous posts have mentioned "live subscription". I've gone through all the menus on my nuvi760, but can't find reference to that or any traffic info. The manual states touch Tools - Traffic, but that is not an option on the menu. (I have only looked for this indoors without the TMC Rx connected.)

I understand from what Phil said that the lifetime subscription only commenced on first receiving TMC data. If the status light shows steady green, indicating reception, does this mean that TMC data is present or capable of being received? Question

Also, I have had the wire areial mounted vertically on the screen. Is this the correct orientation? The Garmin Owner's Manual does not give a preferred orientation. (I have asked this question in another thread, but had no reply yet.) I have seen posts on external antenna mounting, but would like to check out reception from windscreen mount before resorting to external.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Chris B

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green light implies that it is 'locked' to a TrafficMaster TMC RDC transmission. I would be very suprised if after 5 mins of this if you didn't have some warnings. Unless you travel about at 2am! I travel in the South North West Confused / North Midlands (North Cheshire/Leeds/Derbyshire) mainly at present and I often get information about delays in the London area showing first then the more local information.

The only caveat about the statement above is that GARMIN did let firmware out that locked to iTis information on Classic FM - you got the green light and no data. Check what s/w version you are running on your system. The problem occured about 12 months ago. Latest firmware shouldn't have this problem though.

I think you need to be connected to the GTM21 to get all the options displayed. What stanav model is it?

Aerial orientation, if just using the "piece of string", seems to be different for everyone - experiment as to what gives the best result. For the few weeks I did this I found vertical gave better results. Connecting to an external aerial gives better results.
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil.

My Sat Nav is a nuvi 760 with latest s/w v 2.5 installed. GPS s/w is v 3.00s. Not sure what the TMC firmware version was, but have now updated to v 4.70. (untried as yet.)

My Sat Nav useage so far has been from Fylde Coast to South Lakes; to Preston, Leyland, Wigan, Manchester type of journeys. I will be going a lot further afield in the coming weeks, so will see what TMC data I get.

Thanks again

Chris B

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get traffic working? Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

If you have updated the GTM21 unit to the latest firmware then the first light will flash every few seconds to show that it is scanning but not finding any information. It's meant to be Orange in colour - but mine is a mix of Orange and Green in this mode - the flashing is the give-away that a signal is not being received.

As I am getting traffic information that is almost reasonable (pretty consistent reception with few dead spots on a recent trip down A3 and around M25 from J10 to J19A) I have not yet updated to the latest firmware for the GTM21. What is your experience of the new firmware? Has it seemed to improve the reception - or make it worse?
I like the idea of a flashing light for no signal as it is nearly always impossible to distinguish between amber and green LED.
I have found by watching the hidden menu when the unit is searching for a signal that it will frequently go past a strong signal (30 to 40) on the right channel (where it was before losing signal), presumably because it did not pick up TMC at the instant that it scanned past. Do you know if Garmin have reduced the scanning speed to address this in your latest update?

Thanks
theopental
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again

Its working now !

My problem may have been due to the fact that although I am near the Tapton Tx I am over the brow of a hill.

To be honest Im suprised, but hey maybe the transmitter does pump out milliwatts.......

Would you mind another question please Smile

When I set a route I get a few traffic alerts to scan through and am asked if I want to divert or not - this is fine.

If an incident occurs after I have set off will the unit tell me or does it only scan once per route just as you program it?

Cheers

Theo
theopental
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again!!!

Sorry fellas but Im worried Im doing something wrong.

Ive just sat in the car and plotted a route from Sheffield to Manchester.

The Snake Road has been closed for days but I am being navigated over it.

The unit happily tells me that there is a road closed near Bristol though.

Shold it tell me the Snake is shut????

Theo
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get traffic working? Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

As I am getting traffic information that is almost reasonable (pretty consistent reception with few dead spots on a recent trip down A3 and around M25 from J10 to J19A) I have not yet updated to the latest firmware for the GTM21. What is your experience of the new firmware? Has it seemed to improve the reception - or make it worse?
I like the idea of a flashing light for no signal as it is nearly always impossible to distinguish between amber and green LED.

Don't know about the scanning speed - but had no other issues that I can recall.

The "flashing" is the light going off for about 1/2 sec every few seconds - maybe when it has finished a scan through the available signals? I find it easier to tell when a lock has dropped, a flash of light is very noticable in your peripheral vision.

Reception is just about the same - I get the same drop-outs at the same positions still. I have a regular 1/4 mile length of road going to work where reception drops. Howevergeneral radio reception on FM is pretty poor in this area. It's shielded by a very tall (40ft plus ) canal bank.

theopental wrote:

When I set a route I get a few traffic alerts to scan through and am asked if I want to divert or not - this is fine.

If an incident occurs after I have set off will the unit tell me or does it only scan once per route just as you program it?

You will get a warning when info is received about delays on your route. The triangle will pop up. Also - if not following a route you get a warning when you get near to an incident in your current area.

Re your last point - the Highways agency traffic site is showing the A57 as open - no ention of an incident on it as of now (15:00 Friday 1/2/08). Unless TM program any incident in, I guess they can't spot a closed road with their sensor system - lack of traffic doesn't neccessarily mean a problem?

Edited 4/2/08 to correct info about canal - had wrong units!

Last edited by philpugh on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil - that's useful and gives me the heart to upgrade!

I'll let you know of developments.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: