Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Limit Weirdness
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Limit Weirdness
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use the 'POI in city' option and enter the town she lives in.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers is right.
What you are seeing (or not seeing!) is nothing to do with the POI categories limit problem.

If I remember correctly, on v5 software, if you listed the contents of a POI category, it showed you ALL the entries. Version 6 software reduced that to the nearest 100, and v7 has reduced it to show only the nearest 24.

You can TELL there are more though, because if you select "POI near home" you will get a different 24 listed than if you select "POI near destination".

The "Find" function DOES search the whole list though, and is clever enough to find any part of the name not just the first letters.

If you use the PGPSW speed camera POIs, you can prove this for yourself by selecting one of the camera categories , tapping on "Find" and entering a couple of numbers at random. The list will change to show the first 24 entries it finds with those two digits in the ID number.
wychwoods
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected! (or am I having a Paxman moment with my underwear? Embarassed )

I tried the tip of choosing POI in a City and then searching for the name and it was found OK.

So is there no way to select a POI at the other end of the country which is in a large list, without providing some additional information such as the city? It seems that POI in City is the ONLY option available when planning a new route. The alternatives of POI near you or near home clearly could not work.

To be honest, it still does not make much sense.

-Frank
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue. 24 listings only when "Find POI near me" but searching the FIND still won't bring up any of the further ones. I have to know in advance what city the POI is in and look for "POI in CIty". Not the greatest 'enchancement' TT could have come up with Crying or Very sad

EDIT:

Rats. The next time I start to complain, make sure I'm sure of my facts. It wasn't working when docked and using the HOME interface but it is working when stand alone. Maybe I wasn't putting enough of the name in. Never mind. Sorry guys
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reiterate... this is just the way it is (or the way TT have decided to make it, anyway).

You only get a list of the nearest 24 POI entries to wherever you select - 'near you', 'near home', 'near destination', 'along route' or 'in city'.

However, as HT has found, if you use "Find" once you've selected one of those options, it DOES search the entire list of entries.

The other way of selecting a particular POI, is to "Browse map".
Place the blue cursor roughly where you want to search, tap the cursor button at the bottom and select "Find POI nearby". You still only get the nearest 24.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: