Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 12v cable WITHOUT any end bits for iPaq?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

12v cable WITHOUT any end bits for iPaq?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubsner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: 12v cable WITHOUT any end bits for iPaq? Reply with quote

Hi

I want to charge my iPaq 3970 from a 12v cable in my car. A few months ago I found a website that had cables with the required iPaq socket on one end but nothing on the other so you can hard wire it into your car. I don't want a permanent cradle as I don't use the sat nav all the time and don't like cradles everywhere! (With and iPod and a bluettoth phone kit I have enough!!!) So I want this cable to be wired, but coiled away under the carpet or somewhere when not needed...

BUT I for the life of me I can't find this UK website anywhere again as I did not put it in my favourites!!! Sad It was roughly £40 (expensive I know) but would do what I want it to do...

OR can you just buy any other type of cigarette lighter cable and just remove the cigarette lighter bit?

Anyone have any suggestions or a better way of doing it?

:-johann
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't connect the cable directly to the iPAQ. You need a converter from the car's 12V to the 5V for the iPAQ. If you connect the cable directly all you will get is a singular Poof!

I would recommend buying a regular cigarette lighter charger for the iPAQ (dirt cheap on ebay) and then take the cigarette lighter adapter apart. This way you can keep the converter logic , and still connect it to the car's network.

I personally would not connect that directly to the permanent plus. It's safer for your car when the 12 V come from the ignition circuitry (like the power for the radio

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Rubsner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D hehehe Don't want to blow it up no!

But this website showed a cable with the standard iPaq socket to connect to the iPaq and just loose wires on the other end to connect (as you suggest) to the car... without need to take a cigarette lighter apart!
Rubsner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... so the topic should have read: without any end bits on ONE side!!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could put some diodes or other circuitry in to limit the voltage but all this gives you is another heating element. Most of the energy will go wasted. As ugly as the cig lighter adapters are, they do sometimes contain swithcing power supply with a pretty high efficiency level - better for your car's battery.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just buy a cig lighter socket and wire it into the ign circuit and plug in a std car adapter, then hide the socket with the plug inserted somewhere behind the dash?
All you will see then is the lead. Plus there is no need to cut off the plug therefore no worries on frying the PPC.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would then guarantee that you get the correct voltage and current required and also be properly fused.

That would be my option.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mike - the best option, in my opinion, is to fit a slave cigarette lighter socket, and try and hide it and the cigarette lighter plug somewhere. Make sure that the fusing is correct, too.

I'm fortunate in that on my Zafira there's enough space behind the glove compartment to hide all manner of cigarette lighter sockets, phone car kit control boxes and the like.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: