Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Limit Weirdness
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Limit Weirdness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: POI Limit Weirdness Reply with quote

I downloaded a lot of the POI's from this site and added them to my 520, i am pretty sure i reached the limit of what is allowed as only about 120 would be listed for me to choose to navigate to. Although the others were still shown on the map (eg all Lidl's that i drove past would have the icon on the map, but if i went to Naviagte to POI and typed in Lidl it would'nt find it as a category!), and when you go to unshow them on the map they do not appear in the list? Is this what TomTom mean when they say you can have 300 POI categories? Though it is pretty poor if it is as you can only choose to Naviagate to about 120 of them!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software version have you got installed to the 520? - tap the sat strength meter to find out, early versions of the software allowed around 100, only the later releases permitt 300 categories - Mike
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 7.221 (8572/071121) with UK and Eire map 710.1561.

I have it set to autoupdate when i attach it to home and it has never found any updates.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work with that version on the device, can you view the map folder using Windows Explorer and count up how many files end with the extension of .ov2 it could be the MapShare POI Updates that are limitting the number of custom POI's you can install along with the TomTom Speed Camera files - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a problem with the number of POI catgories - see this thread.

The only way I could add and access more custom POI categories was by getting rid of the TomTom ones! Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It should work with that version on the device, can you view the map folder using Windows Explorer and count up how many files end with the extension of .ov2 it could be the MapShare POI Updates that are limitting the number of custom POI's you can install along with the TomTom Speed Camera files - Mike

I did have 280 .ov2 files on the device, though i have cut it down now to 131 and it seems to be working fine.

I also noticed that when i had the previous amount of POI categories none of the TomTom ones appeared in the list to show on map or to choose from when Navigating to.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meryvn wrote:

I did have 280 .ov2 files on the device, though i have cut it down now to 131 and it seems to be working fine.

That sounds about right.
It was me that first mentioned the 300 limit on the [b]720[b], because that was exactly what I was told by a TomTom rep.
It seems that the limit for v7 software is now dependant on the free memory on your particular unit and different numbers have been found for different models.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Please tell me you are not listening to advice from TomTom. Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just haven't got round to adding the 200-300+ dummy POI files yet to prove him wrong! Laughing
(I've still got the 100 I made laboriously one by one, before Oldboy told me how I could copy them! Embarassed )
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
meryvn wrote:

That sounds about right.
It was me that first mentioned the 300 limit on the [b]720[b], because that was exactly what I was told by a TomTom rep.
It seems that the limit for v7 software is now dependant on the free memory on your particular unit and different numbers have been found for different models.

When you say memory do you mean as in RAM or as in the actual accessable space on the device? My 520 seems to have 64MB of RAM what does a 720 have, and is there any way to free up more of this RAM space?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 720 also has 64MB RAM.

The usage of the RAM is the same as on a PC, albeit smaller, and it will also use Paging Memory on the Internal Flash memory, or SD Card, to supplement it.

There is no way for the User to change the usage of the RAM.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
wychwoods
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Limit on number of POIs in a category? Reply with quote

This is interesting. I've recently upgraded my TT GO to 2Gb SD card holding the latest Western Europe map v710.1561 and OS 7.163.

I've just found that my old POI categories each hold just 24 entries. Adding another one seems to allowed, but the new POI is not listed in the category.

RAM is reported as 29MB with 2.0MB free. Is that the cause of my POI limit? Is it likely to be because I loaded all speed-zoned UK (31 categories) and Europe (41) camera databases and set each one to provide proximity warning?

It seems that all these camera databases each show just 24 POIs too. But Question if I delete one POI, there are still 24 listed! So it seems to be a list display problem and not just list truncation.

If it is a RAM limit problem, is there anything I can delete? I note there are 24 different language files with the WE map - I could remove most of these easily but would it help?

Thoughts, please anyone?

-Frank
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't hold only 24 entries it is just that the tomtom now shows you only the nearest 24 entries. This is an enhancement Wink in the later version of the software.

If you press the Find button at the bottom of the screen and enter any part of the name of a POI that you are looking for the tomtom will display it.
wychwoods
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
If you press the Find button at the bottom of the screen and enter any part of the name of a POI that you are looking for the tomtom will display it.

Not sure that is correct. The POI for my wife's mother in my Family category that is over 200 miles away, but only the nearest 24 are displayed, with the most distant at 117 miles. Searching for the 200 mile POI name with Find does not find it, but browsing the map shows it OK. This means that I can only navigate directly to the 24 nearest POIs. More distant ones would require me to select them on the map.

Another way might be to set up a category of distant POIs so the mother-in-law would officially be listed as a 'distant relative' Laughing
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be spelling it wrongly! Press the Find button, then start to type in the name of the individual POI (not the category), and it will appear in your list.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: