Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is This The Slowest Repair Ever ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is This The Slowest Repair Ever ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solobay wrote:
Aaah it was at this point I was told my unit had been delivered and after a bit f digging we discovered it had been delivered to someone 500 miles south of my address!!

a few more weeks will pass young one then a replacement will appear - maybe

Never again

I expect the delivery drivers TomTom had conked out !

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well things seem to be are looking up.

Today I received a phone call from a very charming Hayley at TT. She said she was responding to my letter to the chairman. She apologised profusely for the terrible service I have had, and said that by way of compensation they would either refund me the cost of my 720 or send me a brand new 920T. I opted for the 920T but asked if i could also have an extra TMC receiver to use on another device (I have a Traffic subscription linked to the lost 720, which of course has been wasted whie the 720 has been missing these last 2 months, but there is no way I was going to get into the extremely complex system TT has for swapping Plus services to another device !) and she agreed to that too and said she will immediately authorise it and it should be shipped in a couple of days ...

I'll wait and see if it does actually arrive but I feel a bit more confident because Hayley sounded like a normal human, as opposed to the usual TT customer service morons, and she gave me her direct email ....

RogerOC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if it comes, I think you deserve it after all that hassle.

Roger

(I hope it works!)
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wahey !!! My replacement unit - a new 920T arrived from TT today - 3 months and 10 days after I sent the original back to TT for repair!!

The promised 'free' extra traffic module wasn't there though ...

So all in all I think TT can congratulate themselves on providing the very worst imaginable service.

As it happens I'm not too bothered about the missing Traffic Module - they are total crap anyway - the one I have got only picks up a signal for a tiny proposrtion of most journeys, and the information is usually hopelessly out of date. I have got used to driving down roads that Traffic told me is a jam, at full speed blithely ignoring the pretty blue chequered marks on the screen that denote a traffic jam because in fact there is no jam ! Yesterday for instance Traffic warned me of a 49 minute delay westbound on the M27 - in fact the road was completely clear. The detout TT suggested would have added at least an hour to my journey !

Mikesw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: tomtom 720, 85 days to repair then still faulty Reply with quote

Hi there, well it looks like i need to go down the same route as you as i have had similar problems with Tomtom myself.

Having waited 85 days for it to be repaired it lasted 10 days to have the same fault return I emailed asking for my money back but was told they will not refund my money , but will arrange for it to be repaired if i tell them the fault. I did in my email " same fault has returned ( will not start up).
There is no way i am sending this unit back for repair after 85 days last time.
Not sure which is the best was to go, to write to Tomtom MD or consult my credit card company.

I do 50,000 miles a year and need a reliable satnav, anyone recommend one ?.

this was my last mail to them and there reply.

RMA DER07101896891
Dear Sir/Madam,
This unit is STILL faulty tomtom It was bought 05-9-07 and i first had this problem 20 days later but when i emailed tomtom help i was given a reply about SD cards which this unit does not run. after 2 days i managed to get it to work again only for the same problem to return 21 days later, it was then returned to tomtom as you requested on the 18-10-07. i was told it would be returned within 10 day, but i did not receive it back until the 10-01-08 OVER 80 DAYS,
It then worked for 10 days until the same fault has returned. (unable to start it up) I am very unhappy with this as i have been without it now much longer then i have been able to use it.

I do not believe this makes this unit Fit for the purpose intended as stated in the supply of goods act 1982 so now request a refund of my purchase price of £279.99.

I have taken advice on this matter and Failure of a full refund will see me taking legal action against you.

I will be sending this letter to your Managing director and a copy to Watchdog.

There reply.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

I can arrange for your device to come in for repair again as we will not refund the purchase of this device. Please provide a clear description of the current fault. Does the device turn on? Does the green light come on when connected to charger? Once I receive this information I will book your device in for repair.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike what device is this you are having problems with? - I suspect its a 720 from the price and not requiring a memory card.
(Edit once - I have just seen the subject header and it is a 720 so skip that bit) Embarassed

Was the first advice to use the "Clear Flash" software, as this will still work on your device even without a memory card, also could I ask if you have tried a reset of the device (the small recessed button underneath)

I appreciate the above may look like a whole load more questions but they are specific to your problem and if answered we may be able to diagnose the cure far faster than your previous encounters - Mike
Mikesw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Yes it is a 720, i think the first time it went wrong they told me to check the sd card was fitted correctly. after rebooting it 20-30 times over 2 days all of a sudden it worked again.

They then told me when it want wrong again to connect it to a my computer and install the backup. But when i tried this my computer did not see the drive. They then told me to send it back.

The repair note said they replaced the battery and reloaded software, which i dont see how can fix the problem.

Yes i have tried the reset several times.

This time it went wrong as i was driving home, i had not touched it for an hour and all of a sudden it rebooted but stuck on the tomtom green screen with a pic of the tomtom and a hard drive.

I have not tried connecting it to the computer and reloading a back up this time as i do not think this is acceptable to keep having to do this.
How can i do this on a motorway 100's of miles from home every 10-20 days ?
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikesw wrote:
I have not tried connecting it to the computer and reloading a back up this time as i do not think this is acceptable to keep having to do this.
How can i do this on a motorway 100's of miles from home every 10-20 days ?
Mike
I quite agree you should not have to do this, but a press of the reset button (hold it for 30 seconds) should reset the device fully, when you then switch it on it should display the red pair of hands against a black background accompanied with a bongo drum sound - after that it should boot up and work normally.

A reset on the road isn't unheard of - it doesn't happen too often(thankfully) but it is worth trying to see if it recovers the device, if it requires this sorft of intervention too often then there must be a fault with it - Mike
Mikesw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said , i had tried all types of resets several times, i get the red hands and the drum sound then the green screen with pic of the tomtom and hard drive. thats it nothing else happens.

Like i say, after 85 days waiting to get it back . i am not prepared to send it back again for the same fault.

This is without doubt the worsted customer support i have ever come across.

Mike
jaybeblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know TomTom service can be abysmal at times BUT I have recently had great service.

The car mounting kit (for my Rider 2) broke. TomTom sent me the postage paid bag. I sent off the broken car mounting kit at 9am on Thursday and I had a brand new replacement by 11am on the Saturday.

That is brilliant service.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: