Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchase Requirements for Newbee
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase Requirements for Newbee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Purchase Requirements for Newbee Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a new satnav system as myALDI/Medion Pocket PC is on its way out.

What I'm looking for, based on the experience with the Medion, is as follows :-

Something which doesn't have to have the software re-loaded if I let the battery run flat. Are all purpose built Tomtoms, Garmins and Navmans protected agaainst this happening or do I need something with a hard disc?

Full Post Code functionality.

Ability to navigate to POIs by selecting POIs from a list. (I download the Caravan Club POI list and want to be able to simply access the list, choose the site and navigate to it).

Full UK and French maps included.

What I'm not particularly interested in is photos, blue tooth functionality, MP3 player.

Can anyone advise on a suitable, reliable and value for money unit.

PS I can get my hands on a refurbished tomtom Go 710 for £150 or a 910 for £170. I know the latter is probably over the top but would it be a good buy?

Thanks for your patience.

Halli
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GO 910 will satisfy all your requirements - particularly having UK and Europe in one map, you drive to the Channel crossing, get off at the other side and carry on driving (more or less) without messing about changing maps. I actually preferred the 710, because it has SD card instead of Hard Disk. Nowhere near the disk capacity of course - perfectly adequate for the basic machine, the 910 had lots more space for such as the photos and MP3s you say you don't care for. The 910 also has Text To Speech if you fancy having a computer voice speak the name of the next street - rather than simply "Turn right", it will say "Turn right, B1234, High street". (actually says "B one thousand two hundred and thirty four" - you get used to it!).

Navigating to a POI is easy enough, but you may need to know which one or the close location (town/village) in order to show it on the device for choosing one as a destination - you will know the CC download will be a large number which won't appear on screen, PLUS there's a limit to what it will display - probably the first 24, then you have to refine your search to get more - they'll all show eventually, but you need a bit of craftyness to beat the system! I'm no expert with POIs - the only POIs I download are this website's speed cameras, not usually the sort of thing you'd want to navigate to!!

I don't know how recent the maps will be on a refurbished unit, but the 910/710s came out less than 2 years ago, so they won't be all that bad - they were certainly good enough to get me round Europe in 2006.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would suggest either:

TomTom ONE v3 EU Approx £120

or

TomTom ONE XL EU Approx £180

The major difference between the two being the XL has a larger wide screen display. Simple to use, excellent interface and tick all the boxes as per your requirements.
Halli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis & Darren for the advice.

What I've done is bought an Aldi Medion GoPal 4210 which came with the Euro maps and also had TMC - it cost £199.

The advantage of going with ALDI is that I've got 28 days to try it and return it plus a 3 year warranty.

Seems OK to date although the touch screen can be a little erratic with my fingers. I've haven't downloaded any additional POI's yet but it looks like it may be a bit messy using POI Warner etc. although I'm used to that on my original machine.

Thanks again

Halli
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen pics of that unit, what software is it? Is it iGO or Navigon do you know?
Halli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

The software seems to be Navigator 3AE but there is a Logo saying Navteq on Board. Hope this helps.

Halli
PsychoJock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at this one, and being a Medion Owner,I would say that it is the GoPal Software on that machine. Looks like the version i have after upgrading my 210!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: