Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Database download to Garmin iQue3600a
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Database download to Garmin iQue3600a

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Database download to Garmin iQue3600a Reply with quote

Can you assist with a problem I am having getting camera locations to appear on my iQue3600a? I have followed the instructions for installation as shown for the "Garmin other" file. I have downloaded to my GPS and the SD card memory shows that it contains the data. The outline boxes (as shown on the MapSource map when selecting the area of coverage) appear on my GPS when in large scale. However, there are no icons to show the camera locations regardless of the scale. Also, "Safety Cameras" does not appear under the list of POIs as I believe it should (all other POIs appear).

Monkey54
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a Palm operating system import the POIs?

The Gprs system devised by 'wired' was supposed to cope with it by providing an overlay.

Question Question
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/iQue3600a_OperatingInstructions.pdf

Page 2.10

If you import the Speed Cameras into PalmDesktop and HotSync to iQue, I doubt that the unit would handle 13000 locations [waypoints] without crashing?

I am not an expert but I think I would settle on Wired's overlay!
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Monkey54,

Yes, for an iQue 3600 the overlay is the only way to go. Details, instructions and screenshots can be found at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright/

/WiRED
monkey54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WiRED,

Thanks for your response. It is indeed the overlay that I have attempted to install and I have read every page of your website. Although I have downloaded the zip file, when opening it I did not find a file entitled SafetyCameraMap.msi. On double clicking the file I did get the MapSource map, which allowed me to select the areas containing the POIs I wanted to download to my iQue3600. The transfer including the Hot Sync connection seemed to go as planned and I can see the rectangular outlines of the areas selected on my GPS but there are no icons for the cameras. Also "Safety Cameras" is not listed among the list of POIs. Other POIs such as pertol stations etc. are clearly displayed. Your assistance would be appreciated.

Monkey54
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until Wired returns[he is the expert I'm not]:-

You are not loading POIs - you are loading two overlays for the UK and two for Europe - a 3 minute job at most!

Load the overlays to the internal memory - if you load them to the card it wipes out all your previous maps.

I do not think you can select areas of the four overlays - only maptiles of the mapping software!

In mapping preferences go to Marine options and select 'Navaids' and the options there.

Some details here:-
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39692&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Until Wired returns[he is the expert I'm not]:-

Only up to a point - I just create the maps. I don't own, or have even ever seen, an iQue 3600, so Strumble is more knowledgable than I when it comes to getting the box to display the maps!

strumble wrote:
You are not loading POIs - you are loading two overlays for the UK and two for Europe - a 3 minute job at most!

That's correct. What you are loading into your iQue are some new maps. There are no POIs in the Garmin sense so they won't show in any POI table.

strumble wrote:
I do not think you can select areas of the four overlays - only maptiles of the mapping software!

There are several areas in the current maps - UK, Europe, Asia, Africa, USA/Canada and Australia/NZ. Each of those can be selected individually to download to your GPS. It sounds like you've downloaded them all, which is fine.

strumble wrote:
In mapping preferences go to Marine options and select 'Navaids' and the options there.

Not sure what that does as I haven't encountered such an option in any GPS I've owned, but it sounds like good advice.

One common problem getting the overlays to show is to do with the Scale setting on the GPS, sometimes called 'Map Detail'. Garmins have settings to suppress various levels of detail at different zoom levels, so the screen doesn't get too cluttered as you zoom out. Its easy to 'lose' things that you did want to see. Have a look here where another user had a similar problem on a Quest1.

/WiRED

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: