Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stupid question of the day (Probably Year!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid question of the day (Probably Year!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Stupid question of the day (Probably Year!) Reply with quote

Be gentle guys/gals.......

I have TomTom with Canaries maps (Part of WE mapset as purchased). It suddenly occured to me a few minutes ago, when we get to Tenerife and turn it on obviously it will realise where we are!, but, will it also tell us to drive on the right, go round roundabouts on the right and keep right etc?? Sounds obvious and I would hope the software would cope but does it?

Also grateful for any feedback from real world Tenerife TT users, are there any obvious errors in the maps? (We will mainly be going from the airport to Playa Paraiso)

Thanks in anvance....and be gentle I'm having a really bad day anyway!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends which unit you have. the x20 units will warn you when you're in a country that drives on the other side etc. and the arrows etc will go the other way around roundabouts on all units

MaFt
mcollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a TT-One V2 (Says V4 on screen) glad its not a totally stupid question....So if I understand you correctly MaFt the screen will adapt and show correct routings around roundabouts etc but the voice may be a bit misleading?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcollison wrote:
It's a TT-One V2 (Says V4 on screen) glad its not a totally stupid question....So if I understand you correctly MaFt the screen will adapt and show correct routings around roundabouts etc but the voice may be a bit misleading?

It will route you correctly and will know that they drive on the right. It will send you anti-clockwise around roundabouts etc. The voice guidance will also be correct.

The feature MaFt was referring to on x20's is that it will remind you every so often to drive on the right. Your unit doesn't have that.

You should also change the measurement units to Metric whilst there.

One other thing, because you have moved many thousands of miles between the last valid fix in UK and the Canaries, it may take a little longer to get its first fix.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcollison wrote:

No, not even the voice will be misleading. I think what MaFt is alluding to is the fact that some units will tell you (if you set them up to) that you are in a foreign country and that you should drive on the wrong side of the road. Your normal voice instructions will route you properly anyway.
mcollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt, Darren & Tim - Thanks very much guys for your prompt replies...You managed to make me feel that it wasn't a totally stupid question....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcollison wrote:
MaFt, Darren & Tim - Thanks very much guys for your prompt replies...You managed to make me feel that it wasn't a totally stupid question....

No such thing as a stupid question ... the first time you ask it Very Happy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The feature MaFt was referring to on x20's is that it will remind you every so often to drive on the right.
All versions using V7 software has that capability. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mcollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone.....I don't update very often but I can confirm that I had a question about warning about what side of road in foreign countries etc after updating to latest version today......Reason I don't update is because it always fails due to lack of space....Moving the voices from the internal flash allows the update and then I put them all back but its a pain so I have tended to avoid updating....This may encourage me to update more often!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What device? memory cards are so cheap it may be easier just to spend £20 on a big memory card?
mcollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah it's the TT-One V2 which actually says V4 on the info screen. It has 1GB of built in flash and an SD slot so obviously I could use a 2GB card in the slot but I prefer to use the internal memory as IMO it is slightly faster but more than that it is how it was intended to be used....I also keep a backup of the system on an SD card as well just in case the internal memory becomes corrupted but until I need to buy the latest v7 maps which I believe are well over 1GB I will put up with the limits of the internal flash.
DonnyMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier it will take a good few minutes or more to obtain its first fix when first switched on, so if you intend to use it straight from the airport car park switch it on before you start loading the car etc or you will end up pulling over to the side of the road like I did so i knew which way to turn out of the car park. I think mine took about 3 to 4 minutes. Other than that faultless and a real help when driving abroad, especially in the dark.

Mark....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing no one's mentioned yet...
You said
Quote:
...when we get to Tenerife and turn it on obviously it will realise where we are!,

Well it won't!!
You have to manually switch to the Canary Island map in the preferences menu, before it will know where it is.
mcollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002.....Good point! I'm sure I would have realised eventually....That explains why it is in a directory of its own though (As you can tell still learning!!)

Mark.....We know where we are going so a quick lock isn't too important but thanks for the tip (Must be a long 3 or 4 mins when you really are relying on it?)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: