Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720T going back with buzzing hands free. Advice please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720T going back with buzzing hands free. Advice please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotstersat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: 720T going back with buzzing hands free. Advice please? Reply with quote

Mad

720 that arrived on Saturday from Amazon has 'the buzzing' issue on 3 phones I tried. 750i, Nokia E61 and the Orbit XDA. Only the latter is shown as not supported.

Now I have to balls around sending it back to Amazon. Evil or Very Mad

Not sure if I just ask for my money back or another unit.

Your advice???? Whats the hit rate of crappy units to good ones??

What's the closest spec alternative....that actually works? TT or Garmin..
I'm not bothered about mapshred (sic.) I did like the voice recognition but its not a must and the record your voice feature is nice...but Id rather have something that I didnt need to spend another 5 days of my life on....
I was interested in having TT traffic as the TMC should be called TLTL, Too Little Too Late. I do need a 4.3" screen.

If I ask for another unit whats the quickest way to backup and restore all the updated maps and config and POI's and paid for voices off this unit and onto the new unit please?

Thanks, Scott.
scotstersat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.yournav.com/content/n/388/Users_criticize_errors_in_Navcore_7.html

Software update on its way??
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may claim some small experienced in this matter! Very Happy

1. Get a refund from Amazon and use it to buy at a local place such as Halfords, PC World etc. Somewhere you can go in person with a faulty one.
2. I would imagine your paid for downloads of voices etc are on your PC and will be available to load onto a new unit.
3. From what I've read here, there's not a lot to choose between TMC and TT Traffic - in my opinion they are no better than Radio 5 Live on 693 and 909 AM. The only advantage they offer is possible automatic rerouting to avoid whatever they perceive as a traffic problem (if and when they see one).
4. DO NOT accept any suggestions of repair or software/firmware updates. Other people are NOT having this problem so they won't be in need of updates - you want a device which doesn't have the problem and they are out there.

In my travels through my previous five GO720s, I did at one stage accept a Garmin Nuvi 660 FM replacement, but after only one day using it, I took it back and exchanged it for a GO720. Compared with the TomTom, I considered it cartoon Mickey Mouse, with far less ease of use and functionality.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to say - copy Mapsettings.cfg from your map folder to keep your settings and favourites etc. Mapshare will renew your previous map changes.

scotstersat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

You have kind of convinced me to try again. My Halfords around the crner are £30 more expensive.

I may try Amazon again and see how quick they get another to me.

They are usually pretty good at return handLing.
i get free post through work ;-)

Thx, Scott.
scotstersat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks.

New unit works fine!!

Now how to get my device code changed for the PC connection..... Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotstersat wrote:
Hey thanks.

New unit works fine!!

Now how to get my device code changed for the PC connection..... Rolling Eyes
Best bet is to set up a new email address, providing you haven't already done the Numpty trick of signing up to any of TT's PLUS Services sales pitches. If you HAVE signed up, you need to get TT to let you change your account records. If you thought getting a new GO was a bit of a game, TT will show you a proper way to give you the run around! You'll need a scanned copy of your new receipt as proof of purchase. I'd suggest also scan whatever correspondence you have from getting a swap. Plus anything else you can think of!

You DID copy off your MapSettings.cfg didn't you?

You HAVE already done a day 1 backup using Windows Explorer haven't you?

First, test to check all is well with your Speech recognition - there has been identified an occasional problem with using a previous MapSettings.cfg file. Click on the screenshot posted by uptowndisco, third post down on this thread for an excellent demo on how to test it.

If the speech recognition goes fine, then copy across your previous MapSettings.cfg file, then test the speech recognition again. For me, it still worked OK, but for other people it didn't.

scotstersat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!

All done.

I suppose I can kiss goodbye to that sexy voice I had bought on my other account...

Also I installed a load of free POI's and now it says that they are on my PC dut not available to install on the device due to restrictions. Im sure I didnt pay for them.... Confused

Can I delete them from the PC somewhere an re-download them?

Almost there..... :-)
xmb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there must be quite a few units out there with this buzzing fault as my brother called me using a 520 today from a shop he was trying it out in and it had a terrible buzz on the received audio.

He tried a navman S90i and this had no audio problems (in fact it sounded much better than the TomTom 520).
This shows it is not a phone issue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: