Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - All external attenas created equal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

All external attenas created equal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotstersat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: All external attenas created equal? Reply with quote

They appear to be £30 or £10? Are they the same thing. Will they work with the 720T?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=153&Product=381&AccessoryCategory=7&Category=&Tab=0 £30

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-External-Antenna-One-510/dp/B000C5ZMAG/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_b £10

Thanks, Scott.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be close in terms of performance unless the cheap one really is a compromised design, why do you need one though? the GPS reception from the device as standard is great, even under demanding conditions - Mike
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
why do you need one though? the GPS reception from the device as standard is great, even under demanding conditions - Mike

Why to use an external antenna:
- some athermic heat-reflecting windscreens blocks or weeks the GPS signal
- you have more possibilities to install the device
- in some mountain areas you get better signal with external
Those are the reasons why I have the external antenna in hands. For TomTom I have their own version just for sure.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well aware as to what the external aerials are for, the point is you should only need one if you find the reception is poor due to the reasons you quoted, I have put my 720 under athermic glass and it works very well, it also works well in heavily built up cities. The GPS receiver in the newer devices is far better in terms of sensitivity IMHO than the earlier products, so if you used to use an external aerial you might find with the x20 you don't need it - Check first before you buy something you might not need - Mike
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The GPS receiver in the newer devices is far better in terms of sensitivity IMHO than the earlier products, so if you used to use an external aerial you might find with the x20 you don't need it - Check first before you buy something you might not need - Mike

I'll agree that newer are more sensitive. I have a SiRFstarIII receiver and in most cases the signal was good, but there were some areas in Provence and Southern Italy when it lost totally the signal inside the car, with external the signal was good again.
If I buy a product like Go720 which costs a lot of money, with my experience I'll buy an external antenna just in case. I hope not to need it, but if I do, I'll have it. Cool
rf065
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: All external attenas created equal? Reply with quote

scotstersat wrote:
They appear to be £30 or £10? Are they the same thing. Will they work with the 720T?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=153&Product=381&AccessoryCategory=7&Category=&Tab=0 £30

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-External-Antenna-One-510/dp/B000C5ZMAG/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_b £10

Thanks, Scott.

I bought a TomTom external ariel from e-bay for only £8
It came in TomTom packaging and is the real deal.
There were loads for sale at these prices, I suspect bankrupt stock or someone over ordered and could not get rid of them at retail prices.
As for the performance, I have never lost the signal while using it, without it, reception is sometimes lost for a moment or two. Now that I have used it, i would not be without one.

Russ
scotstersat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

The reason I was looking at them was my sat nav will be in a hole in the dash where the system fitted one usually goes. It will work but it will be buried under quite a bit of plastic.

If I have problems I will get a cheap one and stick it inside in a corner of the windscreen.

Ta.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: