Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Bertie100,

Did you notice anything about a delay like wecpc mentions in http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=356000
?

Eddy

Bertie100 wrote:
Hi Stu,

I've used my X970 V7 on some more trips now and I'm still very pleased (TMC is working a treat).
Rob

Is wecpc talking about lag when in "track my position" mode? If he is... then no I did not see any lag between my position (on the road) and the junctions displayed on the map (2 hour journey from Kent to Oxford). I suppose the map can be a little jerky in both 3d and 2d mode, but nothing I’m going to worry about... it still had my location spot on. May be wecpc experienced the lag when the signal was bad?

IMO if people expect a perfectly smooth map when travelling at speed and all for 140 pounds, then good luck to ya. Most of the devices people are comparing it to may have marginally smoother looking maps but there over twice the price (and seem to make some crazy route decisions)! I’m still pleased and won’t be changing it (in fact will be buying another one for my fathers Xmas present ;-))…
wecpc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertie100 wrote:
EddyDC wrote:
Bertie100,

Did you notice anything about a delay like wecpc mentions in http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=356000
?

Eddy

Bertie100 wrote:
Hi Stu,

I've used my X970 V7 on some more trips now and I'm still very pleased (TMC is working a treat).
Rob

Is wecpc talking about lag when in "track my position" mode? If he is... then no I did not see any lag between my position (on the road) and the junctions displayed on the map (2 hour journey from Kent to Oxford). I suppose the map can be a little jerky in both 3d and 2d mode, but nothing I’m going to worry about... it still had my location spot on. May be wecpc experienced the lag when the signal was bad?

IMO if people expect a perfectly smooth map when travelling at speed and all for 140 pounds, then good luck to ya. Most of the devices people are comparing it to may have marginally smoother looking maps but there over twice the price (and seem to make some crazy route decisions)! I’m still pleased and won’t be changing it (in fact will be buying another one for my fathers Xmas present ;-))…

I was talking about the LAG when in "track my position" in 2D mode, no problem in a route in 3D mode and I do get very good satellite reception around here, at least 7-11 satellite fixes. It only catches up if I come to a standstill at a junction and I do not drive very fast, rarely over 50mph locally on unrestricted roads except on motorways. Also I am not the only person that has mentioned this problem on this forum. Regarding the jerky map, I get it all speeds even as low as 15mph and I do not think that a smoother map is an unreasonable request as my Blaupunkt Lucca (same price bracket) is totally smooth in both 2D and 3D modes just missing the extra options as on the X-970T.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wecpc,

That’s a little strange... I’ve not experienced this LAG yet. I would be quite interested to hear what tech support has to say about this. It might not be the fault of the slower processor, but a possible performance issue with the rendering engine? I have to say... the LAG you describe is not really acceptable, but for the time being I haven’t seen it yet.

Isn't the LAG in the other threads regarding the map position and the voice instructions (out of synch - *only* on certain jucntions - Note, I haven't noticed this either)? I think Stu mentioned the developers are investigating this? Your problem sounds slightly different…

Stu, would it be possible to get an explanation from the developers about this?

Last edited by Bertie100 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the description of the lag problem, it does not occur when actually having the unit give routing instructions, but in what is also called 'free navigation' mode in the manual.

If that's the case then I'm quite relieved as I thought someone said earlier they had the problem when trying to follow the voice instructions for a selected route in normal navigation mode. (I am currently setting my unit up, and haven't road-tested it yet).

While it's not perfect by the sound of it, I won't have a problem personally if it is just in 'free navigation/track my position' that this happens, as I often have my screen zoomed out if I'm just 'taking in the environment' and don't need pin-point accuracy, whereas trying to synchronise voice directions with the map display at busy junctions would certainly be a real pain.

Also, I'd be surprised if it was simply due to a slow processor, as has been suggested, as I would have thought there was a lot more processing involved in the guided mode than in the free - this was when my Garmin sometimes struggled to keep up with map redrawing for instance.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

Lag problem is on my list of questions to get feedback from the devlopment team...be back to you as soon as possible!

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I understand the description of the lag problem, it does not occur when actually having the unit give routing instructions, but in what is also called 'free navigation' mode in the manual.

When I had my x970t running version 6.5 the lag was in route mode.

As an example - if the instruction was to turn left and there were two left turns within 50-60 metres of each other it wasn't always obvious as to which one to take.
A quick glance at the screen was not enough. the voice instruction would tell you to turn, but if you looked at the screen it would appear to be pointing to the turn further up the road. In reality the screen was pointing at the first turn but as it hadn't caught up with my actual position it looked like it was pointing up the road. I was caught out a few times with it.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: new V7 Software Reply with quote

Stuart:

When will the new V7 software be available to purchase for existing 980T owners and what will the mechanism be? Will we be advised by VM or must we continue to check the website. I am very anxious to try it out!

regards
kelvy-d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi stu
did you get in touch with the tec guys about increasing the font size of the info bars ie road numbers and motorway signs
many thanks kelvin
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu
Having now used the new software "in anger" and reporting on it in other threads the biggest future improvement I would like to see is a simple option to "delete the current route" whilst in Navigation mode. Seems you can do this quite easily when creating a route via 'Route options' but if in Navigation mode it doesn't seem as if such an option is easily available. There are occasions when the destination point on the sat nav may be some 100 yds beyond the actual destination so as far as the unit is concerned you still haven't arrived and it keeps trying to direct you to the original destination when plotting the next stage

That said, and to confirm my comments in other threads, the new V7 software is just excellent and a huge step forward over the v6 (which wasn't that bad after all, just not as good as what we have now)

thanks
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
Stu
Having now used the new software "in anger" and reporting on it in other threads the biggest future improvement I would like to see is a simple option to "delete the current route" whilst in Navigation mode. Seems you can do this quite easily when creating a route via 'Route options' but if in Navigation mode it doesn't seem as if such an option is easily available. There are occasions when the destination point on the sat nav may be some 100 yds beyond the actual destination so as far as the unit is concerned you still haven't arrived and it keeps trying to direct you to the original destination when plotting the next stage

That said, and to confirm my comments in other threads, the new V7 software is just excellent and a huge step forward over the v6 (which wasn't that bad after all, just not as good as what we have now)

thanks

Does v7 not have the same 'skip to next stage' option? Not really had chance to play fully.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does but sometimes I just want the option to delete the whole route before programming the next stage or return journey. Yesterday, I was at the Hilton Hotel in Warwick (J15 M40) but the car park I had to use was some 100 yds short of the destination point in the 'Navigation.' Consequently when I left and wanted to plot a new route it still didn't think I had completed the original route Confused so it took 5 minutes of ploughing through different options before I could enter the new destination and make it ignore the previous one.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Sorry I am a bit quiet at the moment but I have been very busy sorting out issues to try and make our products even better. Laughing

You can easily change the route by going into the go to in the main menu.....hitting the address you were/ are going to and hitting chage......and putting the new destination in! This will change the route to go from where you are. If you hit the start point you will beasked if you want to use the current GPS position as start point or not...if you hit no you can put in a route from anywhere and run simulations.

Or

You can go to the "go to" hit route options and hit delete route. This will take you back to the route summary with the destination cleared ready for a new trip.

Chheers

Stu
Hope this helps,

Stu

www.leyio.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
Yes, it does but sometimes I just want the option to delete the whole route before programming the next stage or return journey. Yesterday, I was at the Hilton Hotel in Warwick (J15 M40) but the car park I had to use was some 100 yds short of the destination point in the 'Navigation.' Consequently when I left and wanted to plot a new route it still didn't think I had completed the original route Confused so it took 5 minutes of ploughing through different options before I could enter the new destination and make it ignore the previous one.

We had a similar thing happen once with a Navman Exclamation insisted on taking us back to the ferry port as it didn't think we had been on the ferry. Can laugh about it now but at the time it caused MAJOR arguments in the car. Laughing
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Hi Guys

Sorry I am a bit quiet at the moment but I have been very busy sorting out issues to try and make our products even better. Laughing

Stu

No problem. You still have a day job to do and helping out on here is extra and we shouldn't expect you to drop what your doing to post on here.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking after you guys is my day job..... Laughing

No happy customers means no sales!

www.leyio.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: