Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - All-round satnav systems - advice needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

All-round satnav systems - advice needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pigleted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: All-round satnav systems - advice needed Reply with quote

Hi there, my first post here :o)

I am looking for a sat-nav system that I can use for walking/cycling, and as a car based navigation tool. Both are equally important to me :o)

I am living and travelling mainly in central/eastern europe, so mapping solutions are important.

I have been looking at the Garmin Vista system, which says it does all that I need. Is it a useful auto sat-nav? How is satelite reception in a car?

I know that I will need to compromise somewhere, but am I better advised to buy an auto specific system such as Tom-Tom, or the Garmin type systems, which were originally for hiking and can also double up as an auto satnav.

There is a bewildering choice out there these days, and I am getting slightly confused by all the options. Any useful pointers or advice gratefully received ;o)

Cheers

Pigleted
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Satmap Active 10 thinking it could also be used in the car. It's clearly not designed for use in a car as it doesn't function like say, a Tom Tom. There is no 3D map for instance on this unit. But it is perfect for walking or MTB use due to the OS mapping. The level of detail is therefore second to none.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to go for a two separate systems.

For Car: You should be able to pick up a reasonably priced in-car system. Look for an iGo based solution as their Eastern European mapping is supposed to be good.

For walking - it depends. I prefer a simple (ie non-mapping) GPS - I have GARMIN GPS60 - and use paper maps. If you are an experienced walker you will only be using the GPS for occasional position checks and approx distances to next event/waypoint.
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Road Angel.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to consider a PPC based solution. Main drawbacks are battery life and robustness. If you are a fine weather walker and mountain biker, this it should be OK. If not, an otter box will protect the PDA.

I agree a two device solution is best though. The compromises stack up pretty quick.
Pigleted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

So, if a PPC is the way to go, which is a good make to look at? I would want maximum screen size/resolution. Not too interested in fancy stuff like bluetooth etc. Just want a good machine that will run the nav software well. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Pigleted
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going down the PDA route there are a number of different devices to consider, firstly if you use a mobile phone on contract that is nearly ready for renewal look at the HTC Artemis which is badged as O2 XDA Orbit or T-Mobile MDA C-III, these units are true PDA devices with built in GPS.

If the phone isn't an option for you go for a PDA with a large screen the old ipaq-4700 or Dell x51 as these had large 42 screens with VGA resolution (makes for a finer displayed image when zoomed in).

Bear in mind you will need an external GPS receiver to use with the PDA (unless you get one with it built in MIO P350/ 550 or HP rx-5935 all have integral GPS as do others).

If you get a PDA with out integral GPS the external GPS needs to communicate with the PDA so Bluetooth is often the method used, so BT is important. Other methods are CF (Compact Flash) if the device has a slot for these thpe of receivers, SDIO - Again a slot is required and often these have proven problematic to get going on some PDA's - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: All-round satnav systems - advice needed Reply with quote

Pigleted wrote:
I am looking for a sat-nav system that I can use for walking/cycling, and as a car based navigation tool. Both are equally important to me :o)

Welcome

There are two options that I can think of:

Get a Garmin off road type unit like the GPSMAP 60CSx but bear in mind that you have to pay extra for the street maps for it. Also, I don't know if you can get topographical maps for your part of Europe for the Garmin units - check with a local supplier.

OR

Get a PDA phone with GPS built-in or an external bluetooth GPS. You can buy a number of programs to do street mapping (TomTom is a popular option) and you will need some other program to do the off road mapping (topographical mapping programs are reviewed on this website).

Each one has it's pros and cons.

Garmin have been making GPS units for quite some time and their units are robust, well built, waterproof and have a long battery life (using standard AA batteries). With the correct maps, they are just as at home on the road, the trail, the water or in the air. The 60CSx also has an electronic compass - generally GPS units don't have this so you don't know which direction you are facing unless you are moving.

PDAs are more flexible, you can get a number of different programs for street and topographical mapping, you aren't tied into using Garmin's own software and (sometimes expensive) maps. The downside is that the batteries don't last long and they aren't waterproof (though you can get waterproof boxes and spare batteries for them).

PDA topo maps are often made by scanning a paper map and calibrating it so you may be able to import your own maps (with a little bit of effort). The Garmin uses vector maps which are much smaller but you can't just scan a paper map into your GPS so you will probably have to buy ready made vector maps (if they exist for your area).

For a bike mount, I can recommend RAM mounts, I use one on my motorbike and it's rock solid.

Whatever you buy, make sure you consider the cost of the full package including maps and all the software you need. It's probably not going to be an easy decision! Confused

Good luck!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for the intergrated phone/pda/gps option, be aware the GPS functionality is just enough to get the feature tick on the box - it will work but these usually have small antenna, so will have relatively poor performance when compared to something with a bigger antenna (this really is a case where, everything else equal, bigger is better).

An external antena will help, but IMHO not a great solution - too many wires and things to plug in etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assisted GPS on the Artemis (HTC P3300 and derivatives) works very well even in built up cities, I have very little doubt that it is as good as the Holux GPSlim236 I have been using for quite a while, some of the other units do suffer from poor reception but the Atremis works great - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
some of the other units do suffer from poor reception but the Atremis works great - Mike

Hmmm, I'm thinking about getting a PDA phone with GPS... Do you remember which ones have the poor reception?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ameo/ Athena is not as good as perhaps it should be, it often takes too long to acquire a signal compared to other units and the Mio 701 which is a little long in the tooth these days.
There are quite a few to choose from, although not much in way of competition for HTC they have this market very well covered with some decent devices, take a look at the Polaris, its like the Artemis but 3G and more memory, it is NOT VGA contrary to what you might read on the net - Mike
Pigleted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well once again, thanks for all the advice.

I decided to go down the 2 device route.

I have just bought a Mio P360. A work mate had an older Mio running iGo 2006. He travels extensively in Eastern Europe and said it was the best solution he had used. Eastern Europe navigation was a very big plus for me. Plus the fact I can also use it in the UK when I visit, and anywhere else in between!

iGo will also be bringing out their new 3D version soon - can't wait! Very Happy

I will now start to look at inexpensive GPS devices for hiking.

Glad I found this place Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have the PDA you might as well use it for both applications, it will certainly do this, for walking/ climbing you need to consider impact damage and water ingress, have a look at the Otter Box 1900 case which you new toy will fit in quite easily, see Here
I use one when out with the PDA and its a great unit offering the protection you need, They cost typically around £50 for that model, the belt clip is a handy addition though.

Then you need the maps for where you are working, you could try using Ozi Explorer by scanning your own paper maps see Here or have a look for one of the topo mapping packages, Fugawi and Memory Map are great for UK, not too sure about overseas though - Mike
Pigleted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty to be thinking about there Very Happy

Looking forward to the delivery of my new toy! If I can get it to do both jobs, so much the better Laughing

Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: