Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - quick map\sd card question (western&central europe on a
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

quick map\sd card question (western&central europe on a
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5lab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: quick map\sd card question (western&central europe on a Reply with quote

hello all

i've searched through the forum and i'm pretty sure this will work, but just want to make sure before outlaying my cash..

i've got a 710 with (I think) 2 gig card in it. its running the origonal maps, so going to upgrade, but I'd like the western & central europe maps, rather than just western. If i buy a non-sdhc 4 gig card (found one on ebuyer), backup my tomtom, copy the files onto the new card, I should be able to buy the western & central europe files no problem? Will it be on the list of maps I can buy once i've connected to home, as on the website I can only see it if I select a 910..

Thanks!

Hugh
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it. You have to fool the website by saying that you have a 910. This HAS worked in the past, although there is an ongoing thread on the forum (from "anita" IIRC) that MIGHT imply the latest Home version is not letting her install it once downloaded.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C onnect your device to the PC and start Windows Explorer, right click the TomTom device and select properties from the pop up box, this will tell you the size of the SD Card fitted in the TomTom.

If the download won't install just unpack the download using winrar and copy the files to the device using Windows Explorer, I don't know where the other thread is as I am mobile at the moment.
I only use Home when I really have to, if you have the map download on the PC Home has done all that is needed, the remainder is to get the files to the device which Windows does very well. - Mike
5lab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all! for what its worth, this is the response I got from TT, guess they just cba supporting it Smile

Quote:

Dear Mr Lunnon,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

We do not recommend installing the map of Western Europe and Central Europe on an sd card as this map is simply designed to be used on a harddrive. We do not recommend using a 4 gb sd card for this map as this can cause the software processing errors such as reading the map.

When purchasing a map, simply select your model and all available maps for that device will be then shown.
It is not possible to select a map that is not offered for your device as we do not recommend installing this map for devices with an sd card.

Should you have further questions or suggestions, please let us know.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Hugh Lunnon) 06/11/2007 05.23 PM
is that the case even with the 4gig card I have in the tomtom? it has more than enough room on it for the 2.1gig map, and any other software.

Response (Terence R. (UK)) 06/11/2007 05.09 PM
Dear Mr Lunnon,

New maps are available for TomTom Go710 users such as yourself. However the map of western and central europe are only available for devices that contain a harddrive (Go910,Go700,520,720), as this map was specifically designed for such devices.

All other devices, including the Go710 can only purchase maps of Western Europe excluding Central Europe.
To get maps of Central Europe for the Go710, you can purchase this map separately as part of the Eastern European map.

The reason for this is that the map of western and central europe are designed for devices that contain a harddrive. These maps will not work on devices with an sd card. We do not the same maps available for devices with an sd card (Eastern Europe) which are more compressed and will allow customers who have a memory card to update to and have enough room on the memory card to install the map.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Hugh Lunnon) 06/11/2007 04.51 PM
hello

I have a tomtom 710 running the origonal map database, and I would like to upgrade it to a new database. I currently use a 4gb card with the software on it. Can you confirm the western and central europe map will work on my tomtom? What steps should I follow to purchase it? (If i selelct 710 from the dropdown list, it isn't listed, but if I select 910 it is). Thanks

Hugh
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you disagree with them, that is a well written reply that actually explains their position. Well done TomTom!

If only more were like this. Usually you have to have about 5 goes at them to even be sure they've read or understood the question.

I got this when I asked why I couldn't buy a US map for their new Flagship model..

1st reply:
Quote:
The reason the 520 and 720 do not show up on the map purchasing page is because there are not, as of yet, any new maps for these devices. The 520 is equipped with the latest regional Map, the 720 has all of Western Europe.

2nd reply:
Quote:
Thank you for your response.

At this time there are no options for new maps for the 520/720.
That is to say, as they are still quite new, there have not yet been any updates created for purchase for these devices.
Please keep updated by checking our website for the latest news.

3rd reply:
Quote:

I do apologize if my wording was misleading.

Currently, there are no maps available for purchase for the TomTom GO 520/720
That is to say, at this time, neither are there options to purchase maps for the 520 nor are there options to purchase maps for the 720.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that well written though, since when has an x20 device been fitted with a hard drive, and some of the maps are too large to fit the internal flash memory forcing a user to use the memory card slot, all you must do is ensure you have a high speed SD card for it to work - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in April I bought the v675 maps Western Europe (approx 940Mb) and Western & Central Europe (approx 1.7Gb). I have the W&CE map running happily on my 2Gb SD card in my GO710 (there was a total c**-up and both maps were registered to my 710 instead of to separate GOs and TT just didn't want to know about re-setting my accounts!). I have no idea about comparative speeds of SD card and internal HD, but my GO710 is happy enough using the SD card.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a summary and question(s) combined.....from what I've read, we agree that the W&CE map will work happily on an SD card, albeit it will have to be a 4Gb non-SDHC card (for my TT1 anyway).

I don't understand the logic of TT's assertion that a particular map will only work on a HD but not SD card, assuming that the larger 4Gb SD card will indeed function in the device. Generally, flash memory is pretty quick and may be faster than a disk, but I don't know what TT are claiming for their internal HDs.

Installing via Home won't work, because Home will detect/know that eg I have a TT1 and therefore it will only offer to download/install the WE map and not offer the W&CE map.

You (experts) tell me that I don't need to use Home to install (and Linux users don't have Home anyway) but all I need to do is unpack the download (what format is it in? Zip or...?) and then do a simple copy to the SD card.

Big question; is it still true that, even after the upgrade to 7.10, the WE map is still lower in 'resolution' (eg some street detail and one-ways missing) compared to the W&CE map?

Sorry for what's a long post with implied questions!

Final question; not seen many 4Gb SD cards, Transcend is one, anyone with any experience of them (I generally see 2 variants of different claimed speed).

Thanks in anticipation, as they say.....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Installing via Home won't work, because Home will detect/know that eg I have a TT1 and therefore it will only offer to download/install the WE map and not offer the W&CE map.
You simply buy a map for wherever you choose - go into the TT website via your browser, not Home, login to your account, say you want to buy a map, select your model as GO920 never mind what they tell you, then choose Western & Central Europe map, pay for it and download it.
Then in Home you choose to install the map onto your device. It works, believe me. The only problem you have is having enough space to install the map.

Tom Tom tell you you can't have it because you're a poor dumb user and they know better. They sell you their cameras because you're a poor dumb user and they know better. They sell you their Traffic because ..... and you can't be trusted to tune your in-car tranny to Radio Five Live Traffic.

Go ahead, download the GO920 W&CE map.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis - as usual on these forums, I remain hugely impressed by the knowledge of others and their ability to articulate a succinct answer to my rambling question(s).
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Final question; not seen many 4Gb SD cards, Transcend is one, anyone with any experience of them (I generally see 2 variants of different claimed speed).

I have W&CE maps working fine on a Topram 150X 4GB SD card bought from this eBay seller for £21.90 including (fast) delivery from the US. It included an SD card reader.

I'd seen in a post on this forum that it worked well but I couldn't find it available in the UK.
Samsung Galaxy S21
5lab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm ordering one of these

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123309

off ebuyer. the review states it works with a tomtom, I'll let ya'll know when it arrives (next week, cos i'm a cheapskate with delivery ;))
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of re-opening a debate which may have occurred elsewhere, does anyone know the definitive 'truth' regarding the differences between map of WE (~1 Gb download) and the W&CE (~2Gb)? Apart from differences in coverage, is it still the situation (which people asserted was true for previous versions) that the WE map has been reduced in detail to fit within a specific size?

Reason for asking is that the WE map is fine for myself for likely travelling, but I'd be prepared to pay the difference for a map with the expected level of detail.
wychwoods
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
NukeThemAll wrote:
You simply buy a map for wherever you choose - go into the TT website via your browser, not Home, login to your account, say you want to buy a map, select your model as GO920 never mind what they tell you, then choose Western & Central Europe map, pay for it and download it.
Then in Home you choose to install the map onto your device. It works, believe me. The only problem you have is having enough space to install the map.

My problem is not quite the same. Following advice elsewhere in the forum, I told TT shop that I had a 920 (actually it is a TT GO), so I could get the 1.7Gb version of WE maps. Maybe I went wrong by saying I wanted to add it to my basket, instead of choosing Download.

So now I own the rights to download the map, but Home will not allow it. My email registered with Home is the same as the one on the online order. How can I get to download to my PC so I can copy it to the SD card?

Help! Confused
-Frank
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a fix for you (hopefully).
I did the same thing yesterday for a friend with a Go300.
He wanted the "best" WE map so we went to the website shop (not via Home), selected the 910 as the model and bought the 1.7GB version of the map.
If I remember correctly, the website then said an email would be sent with installation instructions. We certainly got one, but it only had a link to the normal Home intructions, it didn't have a special download link.

Anyway, go to Home, connect the unit, log in with the same email address as you used when you bought the map, and instead of going to "Add maps etc", go to "update my Device".
If all is working properly, the map should appear in the list.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: