Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon2611
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: new maps Reply with quote

Are the new 7.10 maps much of an improvement over the 6.75.1409 map...

I have a tomtom one v2 uk and ireland haven't had it that long (3 months max) but I noticed tomtom had 50% off the maps till january so I figure if i was going to buy them better to bite the bullet and do it when they're on offer.

But is it worth doing?

mapshare supposedly supports the v6 map i have but i'm yet to actually see a correction appear via it.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, it depends on how much u rely on the satnav. I use my tt1 3rd edition for work as a multi drop delivery driver around newcastle and although there are very few new roads up here, a few junctions have changed slightly and a few new housing estates have appeared on the new maps 710 vs 675. Prolly more value for money in an area where a lot of roads/housing estates are new/have changed. Look up on the teleatlas website and see the area you use the most on the map and compare that to your 675 maps. Also remember, mapshare corrections will only be able to be downloaded for a year from purchase, so 710maps bought now will get a full year of corrections, whereas your 675 wont last nearly as long! Hope this helps.

iPhone 12
dragon2611
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using it quite a bit past couple months, I also take mine to work with me

Although I'm starting to learn where places are so for some places I can do it from memory now but its handy to have the sat-nav case I go somewhere I haven't been for a while

I'm a BT engineer although exchange based thankfully, won't find me going up one of those poles. (I don't like heights)
Voltage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also run v6.75 (Western Europe) and was thinking of upgrading to v7.10 but have seen v705
what is this? If it is an upgrade from v6.75 it passed me by.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v705 is the version of the maps that came out only with the new range of 520 720 and tt1 3rd edition. the v710 is the update for all tomtom units

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusingly, TomTom use BOTH numbering conventions for the maps (e.g. v7.05 and v705) for the same thing at the same time.
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
in my opinion, it depends on how much u rely on the satnav. I use my tt1 3rd edition for work as a multi drop delivery driver around newcastle and although there are very few new roads up here, a few junctions have changed slightly and a few new housing estates have appeared on the new maps 710 vs 675. Prolly more value for money in an area where a lot of roads/housing estates are new/have changed. Look up on the teleatlas website and see the area you use the most on the map and compare that to your 675 maps. Also remember, mapshare corrections will only be able to be downloaded for a year from purchase, so 710maps bought now will get a full year of corrections, whereas your 675 wont last nearly as long! Hope this helps.

I got my TT One v2 as a present but you just reminded me of a feature I just assumed all sat-navs would have had the ability to work out the quickest route round multiple destinations for you with the ability to re-order them manualy a bit if you needed to get to a particular destination by a certain time. If it had this I would probably use it for work as well and store all my customer locations as a POI. Shame this isnt possible and you need to work it out manually when TT could have worked out the best route through multi drops in one town before you go to the next.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that would be ideal for my job, but they ave taken away the regular itinerary function as well now. That at least allowed me to put my whole days worth of addresses into the tt, then just go from point to point. Now ive got to choose between the itinerary function and the editing of custome poi (my awkward delivery addresses for one poi category) OR correcting map errors, as i drive round newcastle, and the help me function. As the maps round the city centre are that bad, i just keep it the way i bought it, and just enter every postcode one drop at a time. But, there is a workaround that lets you choose as i mentioned before!

iPhone 12
Voltage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
v705 is the version of the maps that came out only with the new range of 520 720 and tt1 3rd edition. the v710 is the update for all tomtom units

Thank you for that.
So is there a massive difference between v705 & v710?
I only ask as I will be stealing my friends Tomtom One because he has managed to scrounge a 910 from work and I won't have to upgrade to v910.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly i assume you mean at the end of your post, v710 for the map version and not v910 as you have written. But in response to the question about changes between v705 and v710, to be honest i used mine for about 2 weeks before getting v710 ,as a free update, and didnt notice any differences. I`m sure there must be some changes, otherwise tomtom would have just released the v705 maps to everyone instead and saved the hassle of offering all v705 map owner the free update to v710, but with mapshare all the minor changes like roads closed, one way roads and street names are all now user editable and downloadable from other users. Its just user preference whether or not you like to have the "latest" map available. hope this helps.

iPhone 12
Voltage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Firstly i assume you mean at the end of your post, v710 for the map version and not v910 as you have written.

Sorry about that!
Too many numbers going on Embarassed.
Thank you Falkirk81.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, i knew what u meant. Glad i could help! Smile

iPhone 12
Adriang4roa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Last week when I switched on my TT GO Region, it said that my maps were out of date and should it be upgraded - which I did - now 710.
Afterwards, I saw that were alot other buttons on the screen, like HELP - I pressed it and get alot other options, great!! BUT, when I when wanted to see the nearest Police Station or Pharmacy etc it listed places in N Ireland !! some 200+ miles away form me - I am in COVENTRY West Midlands.
Some the help buttons were right, like Doctors, Hospitals.
So, what is going on....

regards Adrian
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriang4roa wrote:
BUT, when I when wanted to see the nearest Police Station or Pharmacy etc it listed places in N Ireland !! some 200+ miles away form me - I am in COVENTRY West Midlands.
Some the help buttons were right, like Doctors, Hospitals.
So, what is going on....
It is a problem that has been discussed before. Have a look at This Posting and then read on.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Adriang4roa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, thought it was just me... or the device had screwed up.
Interesting reading on that link you gave me.
Regards,
Adrian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: