Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - urgent tech thoughts on 520/720 required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

urgent tech thoughts on 520/720 required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: urgent tech thoughts on 520/720 required Reply with quote

I'm a ver 2 tt one user keen on purchasing a new 520 GO.

ON the unit i have, i rely on traffic updates via bluetooth on my mob. this is a major use for me.

thing is, i have a high end, hifi integrated bluetooth handsfree cradle fitted to car and want to use that for calls. at present my tt one is paired with both the cradle for calls, and auto talks to the tt one for traffic. wanting, as i do, to stick to my car handsfree for calls only, can i ensure a 520/720 wont take priority, and can be used for traffic data only (for which employer pays), with no conflicts?

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s an interesting one!
So you want to have a data connection via your mobile but no hands free capability on the TomTom if I have understood you correctly?

In short I don't think this is possible, as soon as you pair a phone with an x20 device it assumes Hands Free mode, a little more fiddly is the next part of the set-up which is for data. As the One has no Hands Free capability it will only off the data connection, there are no settings to mimic this type of use on the x20 AFAIK.
One other thing you could consider though is the RDS-TMC receiver which will work with the x20 and it saves you the annual subscription, same data just a little more difficult to get working reliably in the UK - Mike
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep thats it. my existing handsfree works great, integrated with car audio, steering wheel controls etc. dont want to give that up but want data connection with tomtom.

seems odd there is nothing in the connection settings on tomtom to switch off handsfree element

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a bit more on here, it seems the 910 had an "advanced" section on the connection area allowing you to disable handsfree, but enable bluetooth - ie have the data, but not the handsfree element.

Can someone kindly check their 520 or 720 to see if this is there?

Ta

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
Reading a bit more on here, it seems the 910 had an "advanced" section on the connection area allowing you to disable handsfree, but enable bluetooth - ie have the data, but not the handsfree element.

Can someone kindly check their 520 or 720 to see if this is there?

Ta

Yup, I can confirm that on my 720 under the bluetooth preferences there is indeed an advanced tab, and that allows you to independently turn on or off data and handsfree.
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks!

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
woodmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm also. I have a 520 that successfuly uses the data connection to obtain traffic from my Nokia E65, and the handsfree built in system in my Toyota Verso handles all voice calls. All works brilliantly.
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrighty - just bought my 720 - and yes, I can keep voice on the car cradle and data on the tomtom - flawless.

Good job really, as it doesn't want to let me use handsfree on the phone anyway (thought I'd give it a go out of curiosity) - just says "feature not supported".

Strange really, as Tomtom.com says it is

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, this is a menu option I have never even seen, must try harder in future! Embarassed Then again I only tried the file share option with my 720 yesterday via Bluetooth - Mike
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Then again I only tried the file share option with my 720 yesterday via Bluetooth - Mike

Did you get it to work? I can get files from the 720 to my phone (Samsung D900) but not the other way round!

Kev
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a POI file from my 720 to a mates 720 and it worked, it even put the POI file into the correct map folder which did surprise me to be honest, you can send Music across but this is dubious due to copywrite law, for the record the file I sent was a POI file I have created from scratch so I can sleep at night Wink

The file type it transfers must contain additional information as to the folder the file is intended for etc, not tried messing around yet with the PPC based phone though that will be next - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: