Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map of Western Europe v7.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map of Western Europe v7.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the people who have sucessfully updated their western european map v710, did you have to use an SD card greater than 2gb?
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to ask a very similar question....as a TT1 user I'm tempted by the apparently cheap price of the new Western & Central Europe map; it's hardly more expensive than a simple UK upgrade. But...will this W&CE map fit on a 2Gb SD card? (ideally with some spare for my POIs etc). And yes, I'm aware that if I opt for a 4Gb SD card it needs to be SD and not the newer SDHC. Thanks in anticipation as they say....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearlylost wrote:
Yes, also my first device was exchanged by TomTom due to bluetooth problems but the update applies to the first registration not the replacement
OMG!!! Crying Crying Crying What about replacement number 5?

However, seriously, that must be rubbish. They require separate registration (email address) for each device, so surely the usage starting under that login must be the start date. Or did you get them to change your registration so that you count as from first GO? I started to try that with them, but by the time they replied regarding GO720#2, it too had failed and I was into #3 before I could re-register #2! Couldn't be bothered with the hassle, so registered them all under different email addresses, THEREFORE each one started a new map guarantee period, surely - how would TT know that John Doe and Fed Bloggs are the same person and anyway, if both have a GO720, they are different customers. I have a receipt for my latest, dated 17th October 2007 and I've told TT that I cannot download the latest map under the guarantee. I didn't mention that it's a replacement - it's difficult enough getting sense out of them without confusing them first. I have a "Question reply" somewhere from TT which states specifically "If you have five TT devices you have to have five email registration addresses". Well, that's precisely what I have. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: 2gb card Reply with quote

yes an 2gb sd card is big enough for the new western europe v710 you will have around 280mb free.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....but the W&CE map is slightly larger than the WE map; once installed will it still just fit on a 2Gb card?
iyad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scainer wrote:
Re-downloaded the map, and it still doesn't show up on the map select list.

I'm guessing the problem could be that tomtom have let me download the wrong map.
The go720 comes installed with "Western Europe", the new downloaded map is "Western and Central Europe"

This is really annoying the hell out of me.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a memory card and see if the North America Map will install.

BET's are officially OPEN..........

I am having the same problem, I tried everything from downloading the map again into screaming my head off it is still not working.
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update . . . . . .

Well i used the backup to use the 705 map, and when i tried to plan a route i got an error. When i went to browse map the damn thing freezes and then restarts. This happens 90 % of the time. I think either data corruption or the memory is bad.

I took it back to the shop, and the damn error didn't show its ugly head first time, but did on the second and third attempt. It was exchanged for a new one. I think I'll live with the 705 map, instead of risking another balls up.
Consequently, tomtom haven't got back to me yet and my query status is research.

I also bought a sandisk extreme III 2GB, and downloaded the NorthAmerica map. This installed and i can browse the USA.

Going to the USA on friday so hopefully nothing else will go wrong.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Thanks....but the W&CE map is slightly larger than the WE map; once installed will it still just fit on a 2Gb card?

I cannot, for the life of me, see a Western and Central Europe map currently on offer from TomTom for any TT1 device, only Western Europe v7.10. Maybe that's why my every effort to get a new map for my 720 under the map guarantee fails so miserably - where should I be looking? Can you post a link please?

duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2gb card Reply with quote

BAZZA77 wrote:
yes an 2gb sd card is big enough for the new western europe v710 you will have around 280mb free.

Did you have to delete the old maps first before installing v710?
nearlylost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, seriously, that must be rubbish. They require separate registration (email address) for each device, so surely the usage starting under that login must be the start date

I didn't have a reciept for my replacement the original was sent to Tomtom for repair and was replaced I did get a TomTom advise slip.My plus services were transfered from my go 910 to my first go720, the only way I could persuade them to transfer plus to the repacement 720 was by resetting my account.
Incidently I use tomtom 720 with a Nokia6230i the first was replaced by Tomtom for the howling morsecode symptoms you describe so well, the repacement has done this once so far when an incomimg call coincided with a traffic update the noise was unbearable.
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did people download the new map via Home or via TomTom Website?

As v710 is 1785mb on TomTom Website and 1743.2mb on Home. Why the difference?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
Here you are.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=61&Language=1&P=367

Thanks many bunches Dan. I see where that is now - supposedly only for the (GO910/700) 920 - I thought the 920 isn't available yet - get TomTom, issuing map updates before you've even got an old map!! Whatever next - a support site that works?

It's over 2GB, so anybody wanting it must have larger capacity than the 720 internal memory - got to be a 4GB SD card I suppose. Anyway, it'll not be offered as a map guarantee update for the 720, that's for sure. Thank you for the link.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why only a 4GB card my 720 is running an 8GB SDHC card at the moment and it is quite happy - loads of room for maps and music Cool - Mike
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a different map.

The map isn't there if you look at the maps using HOME or the website.

Its only there once you download it via the guarantee.

Maybe i was right when i said they have set the wrong download.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Why only a 4GB card

I'm a pensioner and cheapo whitevanman, that's why. What d'you want? Blood? And if you've forgotten, all my piano concerto and brass band CDs were nicked, so I can't burn any onto the SD card. And, being down to a mere 2 GOs (one of which is temporarily away), I'm having to wonder about saving up for another.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: