Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to tell you guys that i have deleted all the postal codes from the UK. all custom POI's, and im using only the Portuguese speed cameras database.

So far so good, didn't reboot once.. so i guess its a POI problem..

Will be adding some custom POI's soon, and all the other country's speed cameras one by one to see if it reboots when i add some data ..

By the way, mapshare is enabled and POI's updates too, and it doesnt reboot .

Cheers
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neph wrote:
Well, just to tell you guys that i have deleted all the postal codes from the UK. all custom POI's, and im using only the Portuguese speed cameras database.

Will be adding some custom POI's soon, and all the other country's speed cameras one by one to see if it reboots when i add some data ..

Cheers

What firmware are you at- I'm stll at 7.101 although the TT website suggests there is a newer version.

Alan
neph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanchown wrote:
neph wrote:

Cheers

What firmware are you at- I'm stll at 7.101 although the TT website suggests there is a newer version.

Alan

7.101 here, the site says theres Version 7.120 availabe.. but TOMTOM Home 2 doesnt update it...
andyculpin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I am a driver around london about 6 hours a day and my firm supplies me with a 510 for the van. I bought myself a v3 a few weeks ago and had some problems with it locking up and rebooting went on the net and found i was not alone and found this thred so decided to use it for work for a day as you may have guessed it was a nightmare but decided see if i could work out why it was going wonky. After a few hours I noticed it would go wrong with or around speed cameras. that night I decided to remove all my poi's and the TomTom speed cameras next day it worked perfect all day! I then added Pocket GPS World cameras it agan worked all day no problems I put all my poi files back on and there are alot! next day all was fine again. I think the problem lies with the TomTom camera files try this for yourself it may work for you.

TomTom V3 Europe Ver. 7.101
Tried while chargeing and on battery power.
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neph wrote:

Cheers

It's nothing to do with POIs, post codes or any data files. Sure you can workaround the bugs in the shoddy software by removing these. But the cause is simple, software bugs.

My One 3rd edition works perfectly fine with the other software I found (I can't mention what and where obviously), this is using all the same data files.
macman_123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My One 3rd edition works perfectly fine with the other software I found (I can't mention what and where obviously), this is using all the same data files.

gilesjuk - Can you give us a clue as to what this mysterious 'other software' is & where to find it?
I am on my 2nd TT V3 Europe Ver. 7.101. Both show the same problems as outlined in the previous posts.

As I have found no pattern to the many reboots on long journeys 6+ hours, I tend to agree with gilesjuk. Even on a motorway when there is no speech or POI - just screen updating, crashes still occur. I think the thing just runs out of memory.

I am complaining to TT and if I do not get a sensible reply, will contact local Trading Standards and suggest that TT's be removed from sale as they are plainly dangerous in this condition - someone is going get themselves killed, trying to key the lost data back into this heap of c**p.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this thread!

I've been using a One-3rd for a couple of weeks now and it's been fine apart from one reboot yesterday. Just out of the blue going down the M40. It remembered the route etc but it's not really acceptable.
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixhundred wrote:
Just found this thread!

I've been using a One-3rd for a couple of weeks now and it's been fine apart from one reboot yesterday. Just out of the blue going down the M40. It remembered the route etc but it's not really acceptable.

The occasional re-boot of any software driven device is inevitable, so I personally wouldn't worry about that if I was you. However, the constant re-booting that people are discussing on this thread is another matter and is totally un-acceptable. I suffered the same thing but seem to have it sorted now - no re-boots for the last ten days.

My advice to any one getting the freeze and re-boot syndrome is to remove the Tom Tom speed camera files and see if that makes any difference. I've gone from a Tom Tom which was as unstable as jelly to a solid one with the pocketGPSworld speed zoned camera files and several third party POI's installed on the unit.

spcdust
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macman_123 wrote:

gilesjuk - Can you give us a clue as to what this mysterious 'other software' is & where to find it?
c**p.

All I will say is that people have managed to get the higher end engine running on older models. If you look for navcore 7.12 on the web you might find it. Probably breaking licence agreements etc, but most people simply want a working device.
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spcdust wrote:

The occasional re-boot of any software driven device is inevitable,

That opinion quite frankly is rubbish, it might be inevitable in the Windows world. Just because people can't be bothered to structure development and testing processes properly doesn't mean that you can't buy a unit that will work.

Tomtom's problem is they seem to be worrying more about having a large product range and advertising it than they do about the product working.

Reboots and crashes aren't inevitable, they just are inevitable where you have a company with poor processes.
macman_123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: TT customer support reply Reply with quote

Just been speaking to TT customer support by phone about the reset/reboot problems on TT One 3rd Edition units - I am on my 2nd unit and wondering about dumping TT for another make.

Guy at support told me there is a software update in the test stage which will be released as soon as possible. No exact date, as testing may show up some other problems, but will be in a short time frame. Update will be available via TT Home.

So I am going to trust that TT does get their act together and will keep my 3rd Edition, simply because everything else about it is just what I need - interface, size, weight etc.

Also may be of interest that the 3rd Edition has so far only been released in the UK and some southern countries, so I guess TT are using us as unpaid beta software testers. Shocked
sprawlsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a few weeks back to say that my 3rd Edition had rebooted a few times too (once 1 evening & 3 times the next day). I had downloaded the visit England POIs. As I only use this for "leisure" I was loath to return it (that was the email advice from TT) to get another unit that may do the same or even be worse, as ith all things now I've had one I wouldn't want to be without it. Since my minor reboot issue (compared to thers) I have deselected (not removed) most of the POIs (inc. all the VE ones) and have retained the speed camera alerts. So far no problems, although I have only used it on 30 mile journeys. I'm off to the Lake District (from Worcester) in a weeks time so it'll get a real good run out. Fingers crossed!

Si
rossb55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just so it's known its not an isolated case my tomtom one V3 has also a couple of times re-booted. Not been a big problem so far but interesting to know is occuring to others. Is this the most un-tested bit of released kit by tomtom or what!
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossb55 wrote:
Hi, just so it's known its not an isolated case my tomtom one V3 has also a couple of times re-booted. Not been a big problem so far but interesting to know is occuring to others. Is this the most un-tested bit of released kit by tomtom or what!

Seems to be badly tested, even a hacked together release for another device runs almost flawlessly on this hardware.
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed another release last night, navcore 7.13. This is the light engine and it seems to work flawlessly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: