Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating Map TT520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Map TT520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towunda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Updating Map TT520 Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I just got my new TT520, those nice people at directline replaced it for me after my TT300 got nicked! Anyway, just connected it to my PC and it wants me to update the maps already - I tried doing this but there isnt enough room in the memory, Im guessing Ive got to delete the old map - do I delete the whole folder named UK and Ireland or do I open the folder and just delete the 3 files call uk and irelend?? Thanks. T
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, First of all, you have to buy map updates, so I wouldn't think you are being offered a free map. As the TomTom is new, BEFORE you do anything else, do a FULL WINDOWS EXPLORER backup, then if you mess anything up, you have a full backup. Does your TomTom have "Map share", If it does, then this is what it means by updating the maps, so Don't delete anything, just update it. I'm not overly familiar with the 520, has it got an SD card, if it has, you may have to copy everything to your PC, then copy everything to a bigger SD card. Hope this helps untill someone else comes along.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take things slowly and carefully. Tanda was right, do a backup before you even breathe.

Mapshare is only if you have elected to receive Mapshare updates.

New maps don't exist yet for the 520. I'm guessing here, but I've heard other people saying they are told to download maps after getting a new device - did you change your device in Tom Tom Home, to use the same email account as you had before - that would have you still entitled to download the GO300 map/s. You don't want them, so don't tick to download them.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Towunda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, yes Dennis I think you're right that does seem to be whats happened. Thanks for your help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what's happening.
Even though I now have a 720 with Western Europe Maps, Home still wants me to re-download the old UK and Eire map that I bought a year ago for my Go300.
If I had got a 520, it would have confused the hell out of me too!

One day I'm going to have to let it download, so I don't have to keep un-ticking it every single time.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit where due - it was Andy I picked this up from. And incidentally, I get exactly the same with my GO710, but because I messed up my accounts, it offers me three maps - the November Western Europe, April Western Europe and April Western & Central Europe. I DID try to get TT to sort it out for me, but gave up in the end! Like Andy, maybe one day I'll tick to download them in an effort to stop being offered them (but I'll probably wait until Andy says he's done it and the sky didn't fall on his head!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: