Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera warning still beeping when not on route?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera warning still beeping when not on route?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorrisonHotel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera warning still beeping when not on route? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere;

I've set just added on the camera database on my TomTom One v2.

I've set distances and sounds etc for each speed limit. I've ticked the boxes "warn only when POI is on route" on all speeds/cameras etc, but when I'm driving I'm still getting warnings for cameras located on the other side of the road?

I'm not talking about the ones that are located on a central reservation that can be turned the other way, I mean ones that are totally on the other side of the road that can only face one way. I'm getting it going off for speed, specs and red light cameras.

Is this just a bug or can it be remedied?

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has often been talked about....
On a single carriageway, the road is seen as one "route" so you will always get alerts, that's the way the satnav's maps are designed.

On a dual carriageway, it SHOULD ignore ones on the other side, but the icon has to be very accurately placed for this to work, and there are often small discrepancies between the "master" Google map on the submissions page and the maps installed on all the different brands of satnav, so sometimes they will be slightly overlapping "your" carriageway.

Having said that, I also believe that in subsequent software releases, TomTom have widened the acceptance limit for what is considered "on your route", particularly at motorway junctions for example.
I find that the slip road AND following roundabout now seems to be included as part of the main carriageway (you can see this if you select the road by tapping it in Browse map - the highlighting extends round the roundabout too). This means cameras/mobile sites located on the exit continually give false alarms, and there is nothing that we as users, or the database makers can do about it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: