Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - what do you think
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

what do you think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasteele
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: what do you think Reply with quote

What do you think of the new range of navigons
gIzzE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: what do you think of the new navigon units?? Reply with quote

I have been using Navigon in the gpstar unit for the last few months, and have to say itsroute choice is leagues ahead of anything else I have ever used.
Garmin being the worst, closely followed by TomTom and the next best I thought was I-Go.

The system is quite slow until you turn off the menu animation, but once up and running with 'Optimal' chosen as your desired route nothing else touches it.

For example, when I come back to Norfolk from Suffolk rather than Essex, with every other system it will either keep me on the main roads with fastest selected, or with shortest selected it will start taking me across country about 10 miles before hitting the ring road, this means I have a good 10 miles of back roads or 10 miles to the ring road, 3 miles round and the 6 miles back out again to get to where I live.

Anyone who knows the area well will take a cut through the back roads around 4 miles from the ring road bringing yourself out right where I need to be, Navigon is the only device that works this out and take you that route.
That is just one example, it is the same with routes all over the country and across France, Switzerland and Italy.
Very impressive route selection, and for me that is the main reason I buy a device, I don't want an MP3 player, I don't need to be able to view pictures or to be able to look at photos on it, I want a device that gets me from A to B in the quickest time possible, and this wins hands down at that.

I am very interested in the new handheld devices, I have a Garmin 310d with the latest maps for the other car at the moment and it is as good as useless in my humble opinion. I stupidly took it with me on a week up to Scotland and the routes it chose were bordering on the absurd.
Mate borrowed it and I used his TT XL for 3 days and that was just as bad, although he thought the Garmin seemed OK, which sums them up a treat I thought.
I lent him my PDA with I-Go and after 2 days with that he sold the TT and bought a Mio 520T which he is over the moon with.

So to sum up, if you want excellent navigation the Navigon wil not disapoint, if you want to be able to add Yoda voices etc. and don't go anywhere very often there are others that are more fun to use.
thomasteele
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much gizzE
I will listen to your advice I llike both the navigon 7000series and the garmin nuvi600 series
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with gIzzE in supporting the Navigon routing. I have been using the software in various releases for about three years and it has never let me down.
The feature I appreciate most is the ability to create, and save, a multi-point itinerary.
I have been tempted by the iGO package, but until it gets the saveable multi-point routing I'll stick with Navigon.

I am still waiting for the chance to get hold of a 7110 to see if it lives up to my expectations.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Navigon Reply with quote

I've had a Navigon Pocket Loox n100 since its launch, and now a Navigon 7110 for around 4 weeks, and also own several other sat navs

The Navigon routing is generally spot on. Better than the rest for certain on almost every occasion

The speed camera database (preloaded) is good, the road speed signage excellent, the lane advisor takes away the stress, and the reality view on motorway junctions makes everything easy

Downsides are slightly slow aquisiton times, and lack of response from the menu

But it's when driving you use your sat nav most - and the vocal instructions are so on time and clear, it is this alone than makes it the best of my bunch (Navigon 7110, Loox n100, Navman n40i, Garmin Nuvi 300, Navman icn630, TomTom Go)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: