Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I need copy of english computer voice file for GO910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I need copy of english computer voice file for GO910
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
Quote:
I also very much doubt it would ba a CD given the fact the TTS speach files are around 4GB in total.

If you want this data I sugest you go and purchase the unit you claim to have - Mike

Typical, jumping to conclusions again and accusing people.

Some people DID recieve a CD with there 910, why not check your facts before jumping in. You mods always think everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise.
Why not apollogise to the guy now you know your wrong?

Maybe you want to follow your own advice. 2 posts further down Mike explained why he said what he did
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, its a shame he didn't take a minute to think before his first post.
That first post was what I was referring to, and for your info I had read his other posts before my reply. Evil or Very Mad
It doesn't matter what the other posts say, unless its an apology, the first one was uncalled for. Censored
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably was a tad harsh in what I put in the original reply - for some of that I do apologise (you see we are human), for the other bits about requesting file transfers etc. this is simply against the rules this forum opperates within.

The primary reason, (and please don't take this as being an excuse for my original post) was/ is there are a number of people interested in getting the TTS function working on machines somewhat lessor than the 910, there have been a number of "requests" for files to be sent/ uploaded etc - I wrongly assumed this was yet another version of a request (once provided with additional data from the OP I then offered additional constructive advice, or thats the way I see it).

Anyone who purchases a 910 MUST do a full day one back-up to the PC hard drive, it takes time (around 50 mins IIRC and that is on USB2), otherwise from what has happened here it would appear not all the data is actually backed up - as MELennium earlier indicated (not early enough in this case though) - Mike
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats cool :D I apprieciate the comments about requesting files, its not something you must do on here. Just thought it was a bit harsh assuming he was lying. all sorted now. Laughing
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
brianjparr wrote
Quote:
PLEASE LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE. I WOULD SUGGEST ANYONE WHO BUYS ONE OF THESE UNITS SHOULD COPY THE LOCQUENDO FOLDERS TO THERE HARD DRIVE DIRECTLY AS THESE ARE NOT COPIED AS PART OF ORDINARY BACK-UP

When you do a backup in Home you are asked the following question:

DO YOU WANT TO EXCLUDE MUSIC,PHOTOS AND COMPUTER VOICE FILES FROM THE BACKUP,IN ORDER TO SAVE DISK SPACE?

YES/NO

Make sure when you do your first ever backup that you say NO so that you have the full backup on your computer & then I would copy this full backup to DVD disks for extra safety in case of hard drive failure & making sure they work, then store these disks in a safe place.

Isn't this another case of Tom Tom trying to be too clever with the backup. I'm convinced that a full copy using windows explorer is the only safe way to back up the entire disc. (Having first displayed hidden/read only files of course)
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Quote:
Isn't this another case of Tom Tom trying to be too clever with the backup. I'm convinced that a full copy using windows explorer is the only safe way to back up the entire disc. (Having first displayed hidden/read only files of course)

I hear what you are saying but Home is meant to be "easy to use" and for a lot of people, they would not know where to start using windows explorer & trying to hide files etc on there computers. I can see why Home asks the question because it is a very big backup & again some peole will not have enough room on there hard drives to make this backup.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no need to make a complete first day backup.
As said previously for something that retails at nearly £500 a complete set of backup disks should be included as standard. Not everyone will have the know how or the storage space to save such a large file neither might they be able to transfer it to something more permanent ie DVD/CD.
Also how will you know you have a viable backup until the time comes when you need it ?
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate folder is 311mb
simon folder is 294mb
And compleat Englishgb folder is 606mb so it will fit on a cd no problem
brianjparr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you do a backup in Home you are asked the following question:

DO YOU WANT TO EXCLUDE MUSIC,PHOTOS AND COMPUTER VOICE FILES FROM THE BACKUP,IN ORDER TO SAVE DISK SPACE?

YES/NO

Make sure when you do your first ever backup that you say NO so that you have the full backup on your computer & then I would copy this full backup to DVD disks for extra safety in case of hard drive failure & making sure they work, then store these disks in a safe place.
Quote:

Many thank for advice and comments offerred. I did take the drastic step and purchase a second G0910. I have now done a full day one back up as suggested. I have to admit I didn't read the message box properly when asked if wanted to incl voices etc when I did it the 1st time.

I think there should be some warning somewhere either in the home screen when backing up or in the manual to say if you don't include the TTS voices in back-up and then accidently delete these (as I did), that there is no way to recover them!.
I am also surprised tomtom doesn't offer any way of obtaining the TTS voices files if you do accidentally delete these.

For added secruity I have again as suggested copied the TTS Voice folder to my hard drive and will make a dvd back-up hard copy as well
andycabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a 910, and seem to have lost the TTS facility along the way....after what was paid for the unit I despair of contacting TT support for information that should have been included with the unit...many hours and days of waiting and then for someone to be told by a moderator here he is a thief and a cheat...This is totally out of order! It makes me wonder if if worth asking for help here.

mikealder wrote:

If you want this data I sugest you go and purchase the unit you claim to have - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andycabs wrote:
I despair of contacting TT support for information that should have been included with the unit...

To be fair...
TomTom910 user manual
Page 5 (first page with any text on it) - says "make a backup".
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, first question do you have a back-up of the device prior to the loss of the TTS system
Second question, can you connect the 910 to the PC and using Windows Explorer locate the 910 drive, right click the Loquendo folder and report back what the file size is.

If you have a back up created with an early version of Home (i.e. that supplied on the 910 and not updated when the back up was last created) it will have meesed up the file structure, if you can give me some answers to the questions above we might be able to get you up and running again without resorting to TT support, I do know how to recover the mess TomTom Home makes of the Loquendo folder as I had to recover my own device last year - Mike
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
There should be no need to make a complete first day backup.
As said previously for something that retails at nearly £500 a complete set of backup disks should be included as standard. Not everyone will have the know how ....

New laptop I bought recently which cost a lot more than £500, didn't come with disks of everything that was on it. The user was told "first make a backup". This is pretty standard nowadays. Keeping pressed DVDs current with the quickly changing software & data would be very tricky for a manufacturer.
People may not have the know how but without reading the manual first they will tinker and then get cross when they've deleted something vital.
andycabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
andycabs wrote:
I despair of contacting TT support for information that should have been included with the unit...

To be fair...
TomTom910 user manual
Page 5 (first page with any text on it) - says "make a backup".

To be fair, not all of us are fanatics...much less technicaly minded to follow instructions, however; I did make back ups and after many hours waiting for them to load; none restored Jane to TTS.

As a Lay user just wanting to get from A to B without a degree in IT, and paying over the odds for a device that after frigging about upon three weeks of internittent instructions from Tom Tom "Support" that had me clear every folder so a map I bought would be recognised to load in...I would think they would provide an efficient support or back up disks for these occasions that it would seem have caught much more than just one person on the hop...but of course they told us to make a back up...I did, and what I need is not there.

But thanks for your helpful comment, felt much better for reading it!
andycabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Andy, first question do you have a back-up of the device prior to the loss of the TTS system
Second question, can you connect the 910 to the PC and using Windows Explorer locate the 910 drive, right click the Loquendo folder and report back what the file size is.

If you have a back up created with an early version of Home (i.e. that supplied on the 910 and not updated when the back up was last created) it will have meesed up the file structure, if you can give me some answers to the questions above we might be able to get you up and running again without resorting to TT support, I do know how to recover the mess TomTom Home makes of the Loquendo folder as I had to recover my own device last year - Mike

Thanks for your constructive help Mike. Its appreciated! Life is too full of the experts whose expertise is usually clinically blinkered put downs having themselves read what it says on the box.Surprised the anoraks did not pick up on speling too! Very Happy

I have 4 DVD's of backup, plus two current in "home" none has a Loquendo folder anywhere near 4.7M...largest is 10.7K as below.

Current 910 contents of Loquendo folder is 10.7K with one sub-folder therein called "Lib" containing "LoqAudioBoard.so" This was taken from my backup that had this folder as largest. I loaded this backup into the 910 and added maps and POI's after. I would dearly love to reset the whole caboodle back to "as it came out of the box"-Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: