Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 2 maps of france
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 2 maps of france
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezzer...

On the 512Mb CF card in my 2210 I've got Great Britain, France, Iberia and Belgium so you shouldn't have any problems getting the maps you want installed.
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: How to buy France maps? Reply with quote

I'm interested in buying the french map (for my holiday in April this year) but from my amateur searching skills, can only find the whole map of europe with TT Navigator 2 software included for about £120.

Is this right, can I not just buy a map of France, to use with my existing copy of TT2?.

I found the little map segments that TomTom sell from their website - unfortunately they don't cover the area I'm going to (Provence).

Please could someone put me staright on this?.

Thanks

Don
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
At the moment the only way to get all of france is to buy the western europe maps (ive just had to Sad )

would have prefered to just buy france, but now i have them, and it covers all of europe suppose its better to have all.

Cheers
Nick
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren,
what if the simply changed the file names to .GB .FR .US etc to correspond with each country, and tweaked software to see these new file names.?

i.e CNODE.fr, CNAME.fr, CLINE.fr

i.e CNODE.gb, CNAME.gb, CLINE.gb etc for each country

and told tomtom to look for the filenames.

then you could place all in the same folder, and the software would load the maps depending on where you were.?

might not be as simple as this, but sometimes the most simple of solutions are overlooked Smile

Cheers
Nick
annaka-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: TT NAV in France Reply with quote

I have been travelling quite extensively in France lately and only use my IPAQ with TT NAV. The road coverage is excellent, the routes picked by TT far out way trying to be clever and picking your own with a paper map. There are a few discrepancies on newish roads, ie TT does not use them as it shows them as dotted lines, it thinks they have not been planned yet etc. (classic example is the new motorway from Le Havre to Caen) also from Perigeux to Brive. Some of the small village roads are not named or house numbered. I've also noticed if you plan a route from A to B and then plan the route from B to A it takes you a different way ? not on all routes only certain ones.

There are a number of POI identified, but take it from me, never let your tank go below a half full if you do not know where you are going, there can be huge distances between petrol stations and in some cases no turn offs for villages for 100 miles in certain areas (France is a huge land mass and not very populated in areas). Also dont rely on UK credit cards outside of working hours, they are not accepted in a number of petrol stations ie late at night .

TT NAV does not identify toll roads like in the UK, but you can pick these out from the route planner by the road ident N or E roads, but then again tolls are very cheap and not worth diverting as the motorways are empty, word of advise watch your speed on the empty roads as when you enter the toll road and take your ticket it is dated and the time printed on it, when you come off the other end it is again dated and the time indicated, they can then determine your average speed and show if you have been speeding !! There tends to be a police presence at the end of some of the toll roads especially around Le Mans and Tours (bitter experience) best thing to do is travel fast (but safley) if you want to then prior to coming off the toll road stop for a coffee or a toilet break.

TT NAV is a god send when travelling, you can put your full trust in it throughout France and be confident it will get you where you want to go, excellent product. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info annaka-1.

Can you let us know which speeds you set for which types of roads when traveling in France please
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
well im back, and it seems as though tomtom v2 has got me there and back safley from france.

8 hours there and back driving and only 2 errors, and as mentioned it doesnt like tolls.!

the 2 errors were:

taking me off a motorway to join another , but the roads had been changed and the map of the roundabout was correct, but no slip road to join the other motorway was there, but it was showing on ttnv2:-( so had to follow my nose.!

telling me to keep right for about 3 miles, even though it was a straight motorway and my turn off wasnt for about 20 miles.?? i nearlly turned the sound off. Smile

also dont trust 3rd party POI`s as i asked for the ferry port and it took me to the tunnel.!

all in all the trip was excellent and apart from the above, without a hitch.

and knowing what time i would be arriving at my destination was worth knowing, as with a paper map you can only estimate.

i would be interested in knowing what speed limits people have found the most useful on ttnv2 on uk & french roads, as my return route wasnt the same as outbound.??

Cheers
Nick
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Nick. Glad to hear that TomTom did the job.

Having travelled across France once before I realise that the motorways over there are well and truly covered with rest areas (not like here) are these all on as POIs or are only the larger ones ?
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick I forgot to ask did you reset your GPS for Kmh or leave it on Mph ?

Is there an advantage either way ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was over there I switched to KM/H because it was easier to correlate distances on the display with those on road signs and the same applies to speed limits.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lost1 & Darren,

Lost1 - Not sure what you mean re "are these all on as POIs or are only the larger ones ?" if you could explain a little il try my best Smile

I left my gps on mph, guess i should have put it onto km but i like to know how many miles i have got to go, so i can view my milage and also miles to go etc on tt pda screen.

re ferry poi`s, i asked for dover eastern docks, and it took me to the dover channel tunnel :-( had to explain to customs i had made a wrong turn as only way out is through checkin etc....i knew something wasnt right, so i guess i shouldnt have listened to her.Laughing Out Loud

i then simply navigated to dover, and followed the signs :-(

when i arrived off the ferry in calais i went to the first roundabout near the ferry port and saved it as a point of interest (just incase i had same problem getting to the ferry port whilst in france)

i must admit the trip from then on was excellent really, with only the need to sit in the car 5 mins whilst it calculated the route....and off i went.

on the way back i simply "navigated to " the saved poi i took at the roundabout outside calais ferry port, and all went fine.

the one thing i had trouble with was (ill try to explain)

ttnv2 wanted me to turn off and take another road, which meant turning off > paying the toll > doing a u turn > going back through the same toll, but on the otherside (take ticket etc) and then proceed onto the road i had just come off>????

maybe they have changed the road layout since the maps had been taken, but if i had simply carried on my way without taking the turn off, i would have had to pay twice to use the same road...

all in all im glad i had it, but i think i really could do with a map update.

on the way down i went through about 80 Euros in tolls, and on the way back because it took me another route i seemed to go through more tolls costing me more.?

Cheers
Nick
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I meant are all of the rest areas shown as POIs or only the large full service stations with petrol / restaurants etc.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lost1,
did notice some small rest areas been shown, and also motels whilst travelling, some where in large service stations, but some where simply road side caf`s etc

It seemed to show esso and shell, but that might just be my poi settings i have set :-)

Cheers
Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: