Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSMAP 60CSx or 76CSx?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSMAP 60CSx or 76CSx?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: GPSMAP 60CSx or 76CSx? Reply with quote

I'd be grateful for some advice on this question. I am looking to purchase my first handheld GPS for (not too demanding) walking in the South East UK. I have pretty well narrowed my search to the 60CSx and 76CSx with OS topo maps. (I am aware of the criticisms of the OS topo maps, but nevertheless they do appear to be the best available.) I realise that these may be overkill for my relatively simple needs, but I like the idea of having a map display and I found the eTrex series displays a bit on the small side and their controls looked slightly more fiddly. Functionally, the 60CSx and 76CSx appear virtually identical and practically the same price and size/weight. Indeed, it makes me wonder why Garmin offer both. The 76CSx is described as having a slightly larger display than the 60CSx and floats, although I would hope not to put this to the test. So my questions are:

(1) Are these two units a good choice?
(2) Are there any other significant differences between the two units I have not spotted? For example, is the 60CSx more rugged?
(3) Is my slight preference for the 76CSx justified?

In addition, I am visiting the US in the next few weeks, where the prices are considerably lower. I realise that this would mean buying a system with an Americas rather than Europe basemap, but since these both appear to be pretty near useless for most purposes I don't see that as a problem. My only concern would be over warranty. So my final question is:

(4) Does anybody have experience or knowledge of obtaining warranty service in the UK for a US purchased Garmin system?
abuchan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 60CSx and its very impressive! the receiver is amazing, my old Magellan would go out of lock if you were in a valley or near trees, then take an age to reacquire. The 60CSx will even work inside my house! It is very rugged, it gives you the feeling that if you had a bad fall, you might be injured but the 60CSx would still be working.
I bought the GARMIN TOPO Great Britain/ Southwest England MicroSD Data Card to get me started as it was only £70 from O.S., but I find that this map is really useful and has loads of location data on it. I was going to update to O.S Landranger series, but I think I will stick with the TOPO map for the time being.
I used it last week for a trip across Dartmoor and it worked perfectly. the screen was easy the see, even in bright sunlight. It has a useful belt clip which has a push-button release, this clip is a nice touch as it goes on the shoulder strap of my backpack. If I wanted to be picky I would say that the lanyard is too small as it is for the wrist and it needs to be longer to go around the neck.
With the TOPO map the 60CSx will work as a car Satnav but the screen is a bit small for the driver to read safely and I think its more of a driving hazard than a help. It would be ok if the passenger was using it.

As far as a GPS for off road use, it is excellent. I don't think that I could have bought anything better to serve my requirements. Smile
abuchan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GPSMAP 60CSx or 76CSx? Reply with quote

ianbar wrote:

In addition, I am visiting the US in the next few weeks, where the prices are considerably lower. I realise that this would mean buying a system with an Americas rather than Europe basemap, but since these both appear to be pretty near useless for most purposes I don't see that as a problem. My only concern would be over warranty.

I forgot to mention, if you are going to buy a 60CSx, have a look at www.ebuyer.com for prices.
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for "true" OS maps on a GPS have a look at the Road Angel Advenure from Memory Map.
This runs proper OS maps and is made to use as an in car navigation system as well.
I have seen a demo of one today and it looks pretty good.
Price around £350 but if you shop around some places may be a bit cheaper as throw in some OS maps as well.
Personally I think that Memory Map is far superior to Mapsource.
I can definitley recommend a 60CSx though.

Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: