Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSx
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delboysafa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSx Reply with quote

Complete newbie to GPS. Have just purchased this for a trip through Africa in 12 months time.

Will be going through the manual, but has anyone got any tips/advice etc. Would be really appeciated

Thanks

D
abuchan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very impressive unit and easy to use. Start looking at what maps you will need to load into it as the list is very confusing.
abuchan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going across Africa, batteries might be a problem, get yourself some NiMH rechargeable batteries and a solar charger, so that one set is running the GPS while the other is on charge.
delboysafa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Have got a number of 2500 rechargable batteries for my trip.

To be honest, it may be simple, but how do i plan a route. Really sorry, it is a dumb question, but this is my first attempt at this

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to use the device and get used to it to ensure you know how to work it before embarking on a trip accross Africa, its a capable device but if you want some training I would start by contacting GPS Training who run day/ weekend courses and use the Garmin products, most of it is walking biased but the same methods apply to off/ on road route planning - Mike
abuchan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get out in the country with this GPS before you even think about going to Africa.
I assume that you have some experience in map reading and have used O.S. grid references?
If you are in the UK you will have to set your Gamin GPSMAP 60CSx to the Ordinance Survey Datum, you will also need a O.S. Landranger map for the area were you are going to walk. Look at the map and decide a route that you are going to walk, look for places/objects that you will recognise when you get there and get their grid reference number from the map, for example SX 58700 74200 is Dartmoor Prison. You then enter this Waypoint in the GPS's Waypoint page until you have enough waypoints to take you around your route (don't make them too far apart) You then go to the Route page and enter them in the order that you are going to walk. The GPSMAP 60CSx owners manual will explain all this, the manual is very good and easy to use as it has been written by someone who understands English, unlike some of the manuals that have been coming out of China lately!

Adrian.
delboysafa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Thank you very much for the response. Have been playing with it a bit more.

I have got a Topo Great Britain map and a Topo Europe Map CD. All unlocked etc on Mapsource etc however, when I try and transfer the Europe Map to my GPS, it says all maps are locked? Do you know why that is the case i.e. can I only have one Topo on at a time?

Thanks again
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can load many types of Garmin software onto one miro-SD card at the same time. However you can only view one type of map at the time. You can choose which map to use from the OPTIONS. On mine I have Topo GB, CityNavigator v9 and Metroguide NA as well as extra basemaps but by default the CityNavigator v9 shows. To see the others I have to 'hide' some of them in OPTIONS.

The 'locked' software [TOPO and CityNavigator] has to be unlocked using 'your account' on the Garmin website. You may view on the PC sometimes but to view on the unit you have to unlock the software to the specific unit serial number.

What is ?
Quote:
Topo Europe Map CD

You can use the unit from the 12volt socket of a car and charge re-chargeable batteries in a car, but if you're walking???
I have had 15 hours out of a unit while on holiday without the backlight too bright!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: