Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 2210 and Pocket Xtrack
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 2210 and Pocket Xtrack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidecarural
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 2210 and Pocket Xtrack Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I just bought a Fortuna Pocket Xtrack receiver to be used with my new Ipaq 2210. I have a few questions, that I hope may be answered by other users of the 2210+xtrack system:

1) As soon as I install the Xtrack in the 2210 I get a message saying something like: "New modem detected". The options are: "Delete" or "Internet " or "Office". Should I select "Delete"? If I click on "Internet" or "Office" I am asked a telephone number.... I am confused.

2) which are the settings to ensure communication between Ipaq 2210 and Xtrack? the user's manual is not helpful at all: which COM port? Which comm. speed ?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

Ciao
Luciano (Milan, Italy)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjourno Luciano Smile

If this is the Bluetooth unit then the correct COM Port is COM7: and the Port Speed is 38400bps.

What software are you using it with?
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to assume it's the CF card version as it's called the Pocket XTrack - I got the same message the first couple of times I used mine. I got rid of it by performing a soft reset, once with the CF card removed and then inserting the card then opening the GPS application. The second time I performed the soft reset with the card installed then removed it and reinserted it in the PPC. A couple of my friends have had the same issue and all solved it, sometimes after two or three attempts using a soft reset in one form or another. The eror message I just cancelled.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'r right of course, I should have guessed when Luciano mentioned the 'Modem detected' error that this was a CF card Sad
sidecarural
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a CF Xtrack.
I tyied a few times to soft reset and insert-remove the CF, but I still get the 'modem detected' message. Should I just ignore it?
Then there is the 'setting' issue. For now, I would like just to try the GPSDash software, to check the general performance of the system. Now, the 'configure' option asks for serial port, baud rate, protocol, parity, stopbit, bitesyze selection: suggestions?
Thanks for your help!!
ciao
Luciano
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COM Port should be CF_CARD_GENERIC? Port Speed is 38400bps, leave all the rest at defaults Smile
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you have to resolve the "modem" issue because until you do the COM port will be screwed up. I think the rest of the issues will resolve themselves once the other problem is solved. I called one of the other users I know and he said he tried quite a few times, just plugging it and and pulling it out and restetting before he fixed it - once it was resolved the issue dodn't come back.

Good luck.
sidecarural
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I will do my best to solve the 'modem detected' problem by plugging-ing, plugging-out, resetting, re-plugging-in, and so on....
Will let you know how it goes...

Ciao
Luciano
sidecarural
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, done it.
after a random sequence of plug-in, reset, plug-out, reset, re-plug-in etc. etc., now I got rid of the modem message.
So far, so good.
Now I have to play with the com-speed stuff..... of course, if there is any "2210 + xtrack" user on line, suggestions and tips would be much appreciated!
Ciao
Luciano
Clarkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a 2210 & Pocket Xtrack in the last couple of weeks. Im using it with TTN2 & Memory Map OS2004.

No instructions as such with the Pocket Xtrack but luckily I had found this site and new NMEA 0183v2 4800 would be the option to go for. As for the com port, this couldn't be more obvious as 'Fortuna Pocket XTrack' should appear in the list if the card is plugged in.

I suspect you have already worked this out though.

Please let me know how you get on. I have been a little dissapointed with the Pocket XTrack when using it in my van. Often the signal is weak in ST mode and I am left without directions for periods. There is a slightly annoying lag in XT mode. On foot XT is fine and I have yet to see how it copes with a motorcycle ride. I'm hoping my problems in the van are purely due to being surrounded by so much metal which I could fix with an external antenna.
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that there is very little lag in XT mode when I'm in an area where "normal" reception is possible - places where there's a clear view of the sky. The lag only appears when I'm in a city canyon or something similar. Although it may be true that in ST mode this receiver doesn't provide the strongest signal I have found that by leaving the unit in XT mode I've never been let down - lag is definitely better than loss!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: