Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - out the box N95
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

out the box N95

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
max_logun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: out the box N95 Reply with quote

I have just brought a Nokia N95 and would like to know if I can install the speed camera PIO's on the phone with the pre install maps and software. When I go to the About point in the main menu it tells me that Teleatlas and Navteq On Board are installed. I am completely new to any kind of sat nav so anyone who could give me a step by step assistance would be very much appreciated. I have tried to find the maps on the phone but are unable to find where they are stored.
Thanks in anticipation
DBushwacka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator or Nokia Maps? Reply with quote

Hi,sorry but not sure which programme you are talking about as you are on the Navigator forum but asking about the N95 'out of the box'. As far as I am aware Nokia Maps does not support custom POIs but the maps are located in the folder /Private/20001f63/diskcache/ in here you will find lots of folders that contain all the map segments.

If you are using TT6 then just copy your POIs into your map folder on your memory card eg Root/Great Britain Map.
max_logun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, but what is TT6 and is this a better system than the one already install and if so where can I get it and how do I install it to my N95. thanks again for your help
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The navigation software pre-installed on the N95 is called "Nokia Maps". It works 'out of the box' for tracking, but for active navigation with spoken instructions you have to pay a fee. To load maps, you need some software on your PC called "Nokia Map Loader" (http://www.nokia.com/A4353385) and a micro-SD card big enough to store the maps on for your required country/ies.

"TT6" refers to Tomtom Navigator version 6 which is a third-party satnav program - details here: http://tomtom.com.

If you buy it, the installation instructions should come with the software.

Tomtom 6 is regarded by many as being superior to Nokia Maps, but it does cost extra money. Oh, and at the moment it does NOT use the N95 internal GPS receiver so you'll need an external separate bluetooth GPS receiver to get it working properly. It does allow you to use your own POIs such as safety cameras.

For other third-party options that work with the N95's internal GPS, check out "Route 66" and "Navigon" on Google. Neither allows adding your own POIs though...there may be other options that do - Copilot and Navicore for example - but I don't know enough about them to confirm.
max_logun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the information, looks like I will stick with the pre install software for now then as I do not wish to have to carry more hardware about and have to remember to charge it up. The main reason for buying the phone was that it was an all in one solution, but as usual with an all in one solution you have to compromise on some things. I will just have to wait until TomTom update there software to use the internal GPS. Thanks again for your help and support it’s a shame Nokia could not be a bit more supportive of the equipment that they sell.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: