Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My TomTom broke
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My TomTom broke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: My TomTom broke Reply with quote

Don't know if TTN2 got jealous of me eying up TTN3 but it for some reason has suddenly stopped working. All other apps work OK but when I tap the icon it either just freezes instantly or you get the spinning circle icon which locks the system up.

Multiple soft resets no good.
Have removed all TomTom programs from Activesync and iPAQ, manually deleted any remaining files that seem to be Navigator related and have deleted any reg keys that seem to relate to Navigator.

Tried reinstalling from CD several times but doing no good.

Any ideas why this has happened or what I can do other than a hard reset?????

Cheers,

Matt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that you've got too many POI's (OV2+BMP files) in your country directory. Or it could be that you have a corrupted card with map data and just installing over the top is having the same effect. You may need to format the storage card, or atleast scan and fix it with Storage Tools
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I think you might be right because it started after I used POIEdit to add a load of POIs. As it happens I took the opportunity to install the ROM update so don't know pecisely the cause of the problem.

What is the maximum number of POIs permitted in the directory? Is it the total number of POIs or the number of POI files that is the issue?

Cheers,

Matt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a set number, it really depends on how many entries are in each POI, and there's a theoretical magic number, and you may have just hit it. Try removing some of the POI's (OV2's and BMP's) from your storage card, then soft reset and try again, you may find it'll help.

It also depends on how much memory you have available too, some people have been able to load record number of POI's, and some people like me have only been able to load half a dozen.
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my fresh install, I've had the same problem recur even with a small handful of POIs. It was after using the latest version of POIEdit. I have swapped in and out various POIs and it seems to be a single corrupt .ov2 file that it causing TTN2 to crash on load. I'll just check a newly downloaded version from the site and see if that helps.
Matt
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed. It's the Steam_Trains.ov2 file from both the POI page and downloaded via POIEdit that is corrupt. TTN2 won't load with it in the map directory. Remove it and it loads.

Wow - taken about 6 hours of reinstalls and playing around to work it out!!!!

Matt
Darth_Vader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

many thanks for identifying the culprit!

I had exactly the same thing happen this yesterday and went through pretty much the same steps as yourself before I identified that it was due to 4 very small ov2's that had been installed whilst TTN was running - Oh yes one was Steam_Trains.

I think you have saved many people hours of frustration - if they read this Forum - I only found it myself yesterday.

Surely the TTN 2 Software ought to put up an error message rather than just freeze up the PPC?

Cheers,

DV
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I found that one a while back and forgot to report it. The Steam Trains POI is the culprit - though I can't remember whether it's the .bmp file or the .ov2 file that causes the problem. Try deleting the .bmp file first.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: