Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this from them today :

"We cannot refund you for the antenna, however we will arrange for you to have another 30 day trial of the Traffic service. The new version RDS-TMC antenna is going to be released this month so this will cover the time until you receive this. We will e-mail you when this has been arranged for you."

It seems we're all being treated differently Confused
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without any further emails from me, I've just received another email from them :

"We have assigned a 3 month trial for the Traffic subscription. We hope this compensates you for the temporary loss of your RDS-TMC antenna. We will send you out a new one once the new one has been fully tested and released."
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I think I've given TomTom enough opportunity to provide a statement on this issue so I'll tell you what I know.

It's my understanding that given the issues here, TomTom are planning to refund all those UK customers who have purchased a TMC antenna. No alternative RDS TMC antenna will be offered.

I'm told that the delay in making this public is due to the work necessary to put in place a refund program to handle the claims.

Yet TT are *still* telling other people that the new TMC will be released this month?!

I wish they would announce that the TMCs are complete crap as I could then return not just the TMC but also the 510 unit itself as the only reason I bought it was for the TMC functionality.

It annoys me that TT can put development resources into producing the x20 range while ignoring the problems of existing users.

Being offerd a "free" traffic subscription is akin to ordering a meal in an expensive restaurant and being told it won't arrive till tomorrow, but here's a packet of crisps to keep you going.
Eeeps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
snip ... I've seen my modified unit search past the nearest correct frequency without stopping, yet spend ages trying to lock onto an incorrect one. ...snip.

Do you happen to know the frequency that it was (incorrectly) trying to lock to?

I have recently started to experience problems with my car SAT NAV where it now tries to lock onto 100.4(Smooth Radio). This is a GMG station that seems to have recently started TMC broadcasts but with no data. see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55886&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

It could be a combination of factors that is making things particularly difficult at present

Ian
5lab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been following this for a while - i got one of the first recievers in the country from amazon (shipped over from Germany) in November, and its never worked right. I've done the aerial mod, but still doesnt work well (doesnt work at all at the moment, some scrot nicked my bloody aerial)! fortunately, i opened a ticket then - so its now 8 months old. I've just replied to my 'you're on the list' email with a grotty response, see if i can get a new map or something. The traffic thru mobile free thinger would mean i have to sign up to a bigger mobile contract (mine has no data) -something i'd rather not do. cheers to everyone for keeping us up to date on how you're doing!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaconlegal wrote:
A week ago a I reverted to snailmail and wrote a stroppy letter to the Chief Honcho in Amsterdam. On Saturday, my letter appeared in my questions history on the Tom Tom web site, scanned complete with the enclosures. I was surprised to say the least - but at least I knew it had arrived. My surprise at that was nothing compared to my surprise this morning when I received a telephone call out of the blue from a named person in Amsterdam - very apologetic for the fact they had not responded to my emails. He admitted they had a big problem with the RDS-TMC receiver in the UK but assured me that a replacement WOULD be forthcoming but that he could not be sure when. He rather thought around September but emphasised there was no guarantee of this.

He then offered me a choice of compensation (1) Sub to TT Traffic and speed cameras; or (2) up-to-date maps of Western Europe. I settled on the maps since I have cameras (of course!!) from PGPSW and didn't want to be lumbered with GPRS download charges for Traffic.

He then told me that a new TMC-RDC would arive, eventually, in the post. He seemed confident that the new unit would really do the job. He even gave me his name and invited me to call him personally if nothing seemed to be happening!!

I obvioulsy have no way of knowing if and when a new, fully functioning RDS-TMC receiver will actually be received (especially given the information recently posted above) - but here's hoping!

I've done a similar thing, my letter has been scanned, and I've been promised a response in 5 days. Lets wait and see what happens....
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeps wrote:
emjaiuk wrote:
snip ... I've seen my modified unit search past the nearest correct frequency without stopping, yet spend ages trying to lock onto an incorrect one. ...snip.

Do you happen to know the frequency that it was (incorrectly) trying to lock to?

I have recently started to experience problems with my car SAT NAV where it now tries to lock onto 100.4(Smooth Radio). This is a GMG station that seems to have recently started TMC broadcasts but with no data. see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55886&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

It could be a combination of factors that is making things particularly difficult at present

Ian

Sorry

I've only just seen your post, I can't remember the frequencies when I noticed this, but it was in the Midlands M6 North Manchester area. I've also noticed it in France.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M6 North Manchester will have been 100,4 from WinterHill, I also got a receiving data icon (the green animated arrow) on 102,0 yesterday North of Manchester on the M62, this IIRC is from the Sunley building in Manchester city centre, but I thought this was a Traffic Master transmitter not iTIS, again no data but the device locked to the frequency for some time.
Interestingly though throughout Lincolnshire yesterday I had very good RDS-TMC reception with the TomTom device, previous trips around that county have always been devoid of any coverage. Perhaps things are about to change for the better in terms of coverage,

I just hope someone would give a status report on what is actually going on, i.e. new transmitters, which ones and the correct frequencies, and the date they intend this new revised network to be fully operative - Mike
consumerway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting (Note the new pic - module bit in the middle of cable and not at the end):

Taken from the French TomTom site, navigating to accessories/antennas : http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=267&AccessoryCategory=7&Tab=0

Translated:

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver makes it possible to obtain information on circulation when you roll with your TomTom. Included/understood in the purchase price of your receiver, you will be able to receive updates of circulation and to allow your TomTom to avoid the congestions.

It is enough to connect TomTom to receiver RDS-TMC automatically to receive road information via connection TMC. As soon as a way is programmed, the warnings of circulation relating to the route are clearly posted in the bar of circulation on the right side of the screen. When you touch an icon posted in the bar of circulation, you receive further information, as the cause or the type of deceleration (accident, congestion, etc).

RDS-TMC is only available in: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Royaume-Uni.

For further information on TomTom Traffic and TomTom RDS TMC, clicks here.

To be able to use this accessory, your TomTom must be at least equipped with version 6.525 of the TomTom application. To update automatically and free your application, connect your TomTom to your computer and use TomTom HOME.
=======

No mention of the UK here! I strongly believe we wont get a new version in the UK.

CS[/b]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device you have linked to is the revised RDS-TMC device on sale throughout Europe, Note TomTom do not list this device as compatible with the UK so if you purchase one and find it doesn't work very well they will not offer any assistance.
The picture of this revised design has been seen before though, the radio frequencies employed in Europe are within the same band as those required for UK RDS-TMC so technically the unit will work in this country, the bigger issue is exactly how well it will work due to poor signal coverage - which is why the device is not currently listed for sale in the UK AFAIK - Mike
consumerway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The device you have linked to is the revised RDS-TMC device on sale throughout Europe, Note TomTom do not list this device as compatible with the UK so if you purchase one and find it doesn't work very well they will not offer any assistance.
The picture of this revised design has been seen before though, the radio frequencies employed in Europe are within the same band as those required for UK RDS-TMC so technically the unit will work in this country, the bigger issue is exactly how well it will work due to poor signal coverage - which is why the device is not currently listed for sale in the UK AFAIK - Mike

Thats my point Mike, if this is the upgraded one we have all been promised for 6 months now - it still wont work in the UK. They are stringing us all along!

CS
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points on the new (continental) TMC receiver,

I wonder who's going to be first to try and mod one to an external aerial? The fact that it has a cable coming out of the other end suggets that this is a specific arial connection.

Secondly, surely someone somewhere has contacts with TT and can suggest why they wont supply an external connection.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might hear something soon, whether it is this month or next or possibly even next year who knows, but IF/ WHEN the additional transmitters iTIS (the traffic data provider uses) are switching on make a big difference in the UK reception, I for one would welcome the new receiver, to sell the device with an inadequate radio network coverage within the UK would be sheer stupidity bearing in mind what happened with the first device.

Wait for the supplier (TomTom or iTIS) to make an announcement on the networks increased coverage, so far they have played their cards very close to the chest so to speak.
Then we might see some movement on the issue of replacement devices for those users that have found the device to be less than usable.

That said the additional UK network might even enable the devices people have in the UK to work, time will tell but for now all we need to know is when the new transmitters are going to actually start operations and sending out data, then we can assess the UK coverage for real.

As for suggesting an external aerial connection point - I am sick of requesting this, it is a good idea without a doubt as it offers the user the option to easily connect an aerial feed that will offer a better quality signal and also allows the unit to be hidden under the dash, have you ever heard the phrase "you can lead a horse to water..."

Assuming the wire from the "pod" is acting as an aerial, connection to an external aerial will be easy (much easier than the previous device) - but the electronics need to be optimised to use an external feed, adding another longer wire or spike on the car does not always guarantee better performance when dealing with RF - Mike
consumerway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late Mike, my letters have gone to TomTom & PC World (See my other thread in this forum)

6 months for a product that doesn't work is simply not on. Its now time to take further action and I'm going to follow it through to its conclusion. I now longer want the products they provide.

No one would be happy if they purchased a car with no engine and 'Ford' said new engine next week/month etc - I know thats a huge exaggeration but its how i feel with the poor equipment and service TomTom have provided me/us.

CS
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consumerway wrote:
and Royaume-Uni.

No mention of the UK here!

Yes the UK is mentioned - Royaume-Uni is French for United Kingdom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 11 of 30

Jump to: